Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
greghatt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Greg H
Radio of choice:
Not to sure anymore

Total Props: 5
Skywing Extra

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, I bought a skywing extra from maxx. A very nice flying airplane, but a small issue. I cant seem to get enough elevator authority. It's driving me nuts. I thought maybe the z bend was binding up as I would give full deflection and still be able to move the servo just a little bit more by hand.

So I switched out the hardware with 2-56 ball links, sealed the hinge gaps, and it seemed better on the ground, but back out to the field today, and the same thing. It's really mushy, almost like blowback or something. I have an HS65hb on it, which I figured would be enough. I tried 2 different 65's both with the same result. Are the 65's not quite enough for this plane. Would an 82mg be a better choice?

Here a couple pics showing my setup, and full deflection on the ground. Seems like enough, but not even close in the air.

Besides that, its a wicked flyer. Harrier rolls on the deck are super easy, and it'll knife edge all friggin day long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-07 12.46.46.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	579.7 KB
ID:	168088   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-07 12.47.01.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	571.7 KB
ID:	168089  
greghatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
greghatt
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Not to sure anymore

Re: Skywing Extra

Also, since i'm asking for some assistance. I got the ax3715-820 motor for the plane. I'm using 3s2200 packs and a 13x6.5apc. Will this combo run fine on 4s? I would like a little more power if I can get it.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
greghatt
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Not to sure anymore

Re: Skywing Extra

so, update. turns out there is an extensive thread on rcg about the 3dhs extra, which is the same as this one. There was an issue with the elevator, but it turns out it all has to do with geometry. In haste to get this bird flying, proper geometry was overlooked. Anyway, its all fixed and what a difference.

Here's a quick list of things I changed:
Fix geometry of linkages, add ball links (i hate z bends)
Moved battery back 2"
Used a 14x7 prop in favor of the 13x6.5 (suggest this prop on 3S if you go with the 820kv ax3715 motor, out of sight vertical)

If you decide to go with this airframe, you'll not be disappointed. The rollers are still almost too easy, still knife edges forever and a day, hovers like no ones buisness, will parachute, elevator and wall like a friggin champ. This is def the plane that stays in the truck for an everyday after work flyer. Hopefully i'll be able to get some video to post soon.
Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in