Savage won`t start - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
FastAction

Total Props: 0
Savage won`t start

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I`m confused and still learning. Can`t get her to start. Roto start fully charged plus I have my 18v dewalt cordless drill as back up. When I have glow plug tight it will barely turn over then it sounds like roto is stripping and no engine turn over. But if I take out plug it turns over fine.Looking at top of piston everything looks ok.No damage or debris. I have been trying to start in my shop and its heated so -5 outside should have nothing to do with it. I even hit it with the wifes hairdryer and got it up to about 150 still would not work.

Any suggestions before I take it apart or take into shop...........Thanks

Dame weather is holding me back from breaking in my hellfire so nothing is running right now
FastAction is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
hyper7man

Ok this happened to me with my cousins's savy. Its either 2 things...

1. The one-way bearing is cracked/damaged and is slipping.

OR

2. The gears in the plastic roto-start case have stripped and will need replacing.

When it happened to me, it was problem number 2. it's an easy fix, all you need is the gear to replace it, found at your LHS (Local Hobby Store)
hyper7man is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
spond
Alumni Mod

I am: Scott P

flooded.. (hydro locked)
Make sure the glow plug glows
open the throttle alittle
undo the glow plug .5 turns - make sure no dirt in area
make sure it is getting fuel for sure..
giver..
once it starts remeber to turn the glow plug back in.. you can use the igniter as it will hav enough grip to tighten it sufficiently to run.. get it warm, then use the wrench to tighten in properly..
TTR S3 - Rossi M21 (on side lines all summer)
TTR ST-1 with LSK OMG..
Savage Racer -
spond is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
imported_JROD
RCC Senior Contributor

Ok well does it sound as if the roto is stripping as in grinding noise or spinning free? if it is grinding then it is the rotostart gears in the backing plate if it is slipping it is the one way, your one way may just be full of gunk if it is take some cleaner to it and avoid leaving fuel in your truck and when it is static elevate the rear end of the truck so unburnt fuel does not pool in the back of your engine, and if you tried starting it while it was flooded then you may have cracked your one way, avoid this at all cost cos oneways are somewhat expensive 35bucks a piece.

if your rotostart stops and will not turn the motor over it is usually a sign of the motor being flooded or weak batts in the rotostart but since you stated the batts were fresh I am ruling that out

hope this helps and you get your savage back up and runnin good bashing
Jon
Old 02-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
FastAction

Thanks for the info guys
FastAction is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in