RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
bobf24
RCC Expert Contributor

Total Props: 0
CEN Matrix TR Arena Truggy,

Here is some links to the upcoming Truggy from CEN, it comes in three versions, RTR, Pro kit, and the Factory Race Kit, there isn't any official prices yet, but the pro has an expected US street price of $400, and the factory race is suppsoed to be $500US, and I belive the RTR was supposed to be around $500 as well,

RTR
http://www.cenracing.com/area51/51_truggy.html

Factory Race / Pro
http://www.cenracing.com/area51/matrixarenafre.html

bobf24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Grandmaster G
RCC Expert Contributor

This truck looks.....well..awesome!!!

some will notice the chassis braces, and wonder why there isnt standard 'buggy' braces

Smolnik(CEN top-gun) has stated the verdict is still out on the best type of chassis braces......as the truggy class is relatively new......its all a matter of the right type of chassis flex...and i believe these braces are able to adjust the level of flex wanted for different tracks......also one will notice a 60 tooth spur gear...which would seem obsolete considering the trend of redesigned diffs with smaller spur gears....again...Smolnik staes that the verdict is still out as the Kyosho truggy is very finicky with diff shims etc.....

he has a point

The Jammin truggy tore up the race scene and continues to do so.....all with a big spur gear

The OFNA Pirate-Dominator actually used a very similar chassis brace design and it worked extremely well....

we'll soon find out
Grandmaster G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
PeanutButterJellyTime
RCC Supreme Contributor

Everything looks good except one thing, what's with the huge angle the centre universal is on in the 2nd RTR pic? that looks like a problem almost...

1978 VW Type 1 (Super Beetle) Convertible
PeanutButterJellyTime is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
Grandmaster G
RCC Expert Contributor

hard to say, but with smolnik and gene hickerson doing the r&d i would be willing to bet that there will be no issue....
Grandmaster G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
bobf24
RCC Expert Contributor

I think the picture makes it look worse than it actually is, and those pictures are of a pre-production unit, so that may have been changed a little bit, but even if it is that much, CVA's are designed to work at angles, so it wont affect anything, look at the angle on the front of the 8ight, same differecne, because of the bigger spur gear on this truck, the diff has to be raised up so the gear clears the chaisis,

and ya, there are things you can add in to the center brace, similar to the FT TC4, to adjust the stiffness, and IMO the best bracing system for truggies is to run it like they have on this truck, from the servo saver/diff case, to the center diff mounts, I experimented with this on my TTR ST-1, and with a conventional buggy brace, the front still flexed from the end of the brace, up, which was putting stress on the servos, because the servo saver and everything was flexing up, but where the servo was was still flat, so the linkage was being jammed back into the servo horn, but when you brace it to the center diff, it flexes from the center of the truck up, so it puts basically zero stress on the servo, since the servo is flexing with the front end, if at all, if that makes sence,

and also according to Andy, they tested both large and small spur gears, and they found the truck carried alot more corner speed with the big gear, that was one thing I asked them about because I've always liked the low CG of the small ones, but I guess you go with what works, and one thing i like about that, the spare diffs I've got from my buggy will work with the truck

I'm hoping to have my truck before christmas, so once I get it I will post up some pics of the build, and any little mods I do to it,
Old 11-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
spond
Alumni Mod

I am: Scott P

Looks cool.. I'm likeng the number of truggies out there now.. almost everyone has one.. the competiton is going to be fierce.. lovin it..

If they can make the flex adjustable.. that is cool.. wouldn't want the same style of complaints about the S3 delta to be thrown at that..

They have obviously done thier work..
TTR S3 - Rossi M21 (on side lines all summer)
TTR ST-1 with LSK OMG..
Savage Racer -
spond is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
bobf24
RCC Expert Contributor

the RTR price is actually $479.99US, and the Factory Race is $499.99US
Old 11-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #8
John Bakker
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: JB

Like the CRT ,I think they cheaped out with the big spur gear.This will cause premature bearing and drivecup wear like the CRT.the center bracing set up is going to move the center diff all over the place.since there will be minimal flex front to back it will tend to flex from side to side (Chassis twisting)this will be very hard on CB bearings and spur gears.I'm guessing the throttle/brake servo will be elevated for the brakes ,raising the CG .23 mm hub adapters???? Why????
John Bakker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in