Nano CPX - First Impressions... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
Gizmodude
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Richard L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX10 / Vbar Neo / V-Touch
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 14
Elec Nano CPX - First Impressions...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Nano CPX .... thoughts and first impressions...

OKay, so I bought this little heli from a fellow RCCanada member ( a big thanks BTW..shipping was quick and item just as described- Thanks .

Hoping to restore what little faith I have based on past experience with these Horizon heli's... ( based on my McPx experience only ) I examined boxed contents on a RTF unit...

4Ch TX
AA batteries
single lipo charger ( battery operated )
2 x lipos
heli
instructions & a few small spares and bullett blades

So right away, I set the default charger aside and used the one that came with my Mcpx ( much nicer anyways ) ...

Followed the binding instructions with the default tx and gave it a whirl...Whoa! This is seriously crazy twitchy little bird...

So followed suggested settings for "computer radio"...basically my JR11x and found that one little trick to binding it successfully...move the throttle trim all the way down...after that bound immediatly.

Ok so after some massaging of DR and Expo to tame this little crazy twitchy heli and not bad...

Tried the stock blades and bullett blades and found that when I reduce the throttle quickly the heli "shudders" almost like something translating form the head...other than that so far so good... thinking of pulling out the magnifying glass and spotlight and examining the head and main shaft and gear, then trying it again....

Other than this strange shudder when the throttle is backed off quickly and then increased again...this little thing is not too bad...

Stock TX - kinda sucks better to use a better TX to allow for more finetuning of flight paramaters...

So if anyone has any ideas in respect to the shuddering issue when throttle is reduced and increased by a large amount...throw me some ideas,,,

Cheers' and Good Health....

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
lead balloon
RCC Contributor

I am: Steve B
Radio of choice:
Jr 9303

Total Props: 8
Re: Nano CPX - First Impressions...

Make sure your blades are fairly loose. Tight blades cause all sorts of issues with this heli.

Also, head over to helifreak.ccom and check out the tips thread in the ncpx forum. Lots of good info there.
lead balloon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20

I think the shudder at near zero pitch situations is due to the slop between the pitch links/blade grips/swash. Mine does the same thing. If you can reduce the slop that wiLl reduce the shudders.

I love my nano. It is head and shoulders above the mcpx (which was a flop imho) if you are looking for a micro that you can actually beat around without the headspeed completely bleeding off and having the tail blow out. I decreased my pitch from 100 to 90 and I can do full pitch tic tocs without the tail blowing out (atleast for the first 3 minutes). I have crashed it atleast 100 times on grass and I have yet to break anything. It also does a great bladestop auto from 300 ft. : )

However with that being said, it still is a micro with a non driven tail and it wiLl blow out during certain maneuvers (full pitch reverse hurricanes, big tail slides, etc) but it is 100 times better than the mcpx in stock form. It is very very manageable and most guys will never fly it that hard anyways.

Last edited by Ramz; 10-16-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
bwoollia
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Brian W

Total Props: 0

I picked one up this weekend but I've had trouble getting it to bind - I don't get the fast LED flashing on the helicopter. It's on its way back to Horizon today and hopefully I'll have a replacement soon!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Gizmodude
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Wink Re: Nano CPX - First Impressions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
I picked one up this weekend but I've had trouble getting it to bind - I don't get the fast LED flashing on the helicopter. It's on its way back to Horizon today and hopefully I'll have a replacement soon!
So you bought a BNF version or RTF , what TX were you trying to bind it to?
I basically used the DX7 settings in the manual and then had trouble binding as well...so I figured maybe its not seeing zero throttle..so i moved my throttle trim adj all the way down and "bazinga" it bound right away. Put my throttle trim back to middle and completed the process and have not had any issues yet...with binding anyways...a bit early to tell... LOL

Cheers
Old 10-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
bwoollia
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Brian W

Total Props: 0

I bought the BNF. I'm pretty sure I got a bad board - it would only flash every four seconds or so, not the rapid flashing of when a receiver is binding. I programmed the recommended settings for my DX8 and made sure my throttle was off. I had a couple of conversations with Horizon and they agreed it was probably toast, but wanted to have a look at it - none of the techs had seen the problem before.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Gizmodude
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Well, for me to zip around the house...I tamed it down quite a bit in DR/Expo in Normal and Idle 1, Idle 2 left it more agile...looking forward to Microheli or someone to come out with a better main shaft and swash, but other than that, so far so good for a micro...better than my Mcpx was thats for sure...without having to throw alot of $$ at it ....

Cheers and Good Health
Old 10-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmodude View Post
Well, for me to zip around the house...I tamed it down quite a bit in DR/Expo in Normal and Idle 1, Idle 2 left it more agile...looking forward to Microheli or someone to come out with a better main shaft and swash, but other than that, so far so good for a micro...better than my Mcpx was thats for sure...without having to throw alot of $$ at it ....

Cheers and Good Health
Agreed. The nano is what the mcpx should have been.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

I'd say the 130X is what the mcpx should have been. Nothing over 100 size CP should have a tail motor, just not enough power to counter the torque of the main blades and fast enough to adapt to quick maneuvers. On 100 and smaller sure it can.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
OICU812
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Shawn S.
Radio of choice:
Vcontrol

Total Props: 36

Shudders? Micro sized o rings are your friend Richard!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in