Thunder Power 610C and new lipo problem! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 01-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
MarkCrowe
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mark C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Thunder Power 610C and new lipo problem!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK, so I got my new Thunder Power 610C up and running, used it to set the storage charge on my parkzone battery, then tried to charge my brand new turnigy battery. Same cells and maH rating; 3S, 1300 maH. I get an error message that pack voltage is too low/wrong polarity, and I can't get it to initiate a charge. Anyone else have this problem?

On the helifreaks forum it seems I'm not the only one having this issue and Thunder Power hasn't been helping anyone to date. Anyone else here run the same charger and could maybe run me through what I'm doing?
Seagull Models Decathlon .40 ARF
MarkCrowe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Re: Thunder Power 610C and new lipo problem!

have you checked the packs voltage to ensure it is correct.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Yep check the charge on the pack first must be at least 9v. I've had 2 of my last 20 hk packs with at least 1 cell under 3v
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
MarkCrowe
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7

Put a multimeter on the pack, and it's not even enough to register. Same meter, other pack, got 10.4V, which is what I set it to discharge to.

So I'm running an experiment: both chargers I have (the parkzone and the TP610C) are too 'smart' to put a charge into it. So, I've MacGuyvered a charger using the AC portion of the parkzone charger and an EC3 plug to 'force' some volts into the pack that way (and watching it VERY carefully). I'm only trying this because I can't think of any other way to get enough voltage into the pack that it will register high enough for the balancing chargers to do their thing.

Thunder Power claims the 610 has a mode for a recovery charge for badly over-discharged batteries that it's instructions are woefully inadequate for. Best solution I can come up with before I use a brand new (but cheap, at least) lipo for target practice!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

You can use the 610C in nimh mode to charge it up to a minimum level but... over discharged batteries will perform poorly at best. I'd suggest that you never run that particular battery in series or parallel with another.

Make sure that regardless of how you do it, you keep a good eye on it, suggest you do it in the garage in a lipo sack (or other fire proof container).
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
MarkCrowe
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7

UPDATE:

I did the unthinkable with the unintended help of a site that showed the wiring diagram of a balance connector, as I was trying to figure out exactly what was going on. I then started to suspect a physical wiring problem rather than undercharged cells as 2 cells were reading 3.8V each and absolutely 0 on the third.

So I (carefully) took the wrap off the lipo and started inspecting wiring and solder connections. Guess what? That dead cell wasn't dead; sometime after it was assembled, the thin copper strip coming from the + side of that cell had separated. A bit of careful cleanup, a quick touch with the soldering iron, and the pack was reading 11.5V. Carefully put the pack back together, re-wrapped with some 2" wide vinyl electrical tape to hold everything together nicely, and I've saved the pack which is charging as we speak.

HOWEVER: I'm glad I got the pack serviceable, but there is no way of knowing how long it will last. I did a lot of tinkering with something no one is supposed to tinker with, and that solder connection may not hold- I was careful, but there's still glue there because I didn't want to compromise the physical integrity of the cell- I do know what happens when lithium meets oxygen!

In no way do I blame HobbyKing; the cell was charged, indicating it had been put together properly; I have no idea how it was handled after that or on its way here; the copper strips used in those cells is very thin and where I found the break is in a spot fingers should never get to. I'll use it as long as it holds out; it's only for the Cub anyhow as a spare pack and it'll be treated as such. I'll charge it, discharge it and set a storage charge until I want to use it and watch carefully each and every time it's used.

So for anyone who wondered, sometimes a dud battery isn't, and sometimes they can be saved!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in