POLL: No MAAC Insurance, would you still pay MAAC Dues - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

View Poll Results: No MAAC Insurance, would you join MAAC
No, I would not join MAAC. 57 61.29%
Yes, I would still join MAAC. 36 38.71%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
cf100
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Ken K.
Radio of choice:
JR & Graupner
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 251
POLL: No MAAC Insurance, would you still pay MAAC Dues

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Plain and simple - if MAAC did not offer insurance would you still pay your $80.00 per year and join MAAC?

POLL: No Insurance would you still pay MAAC Dues
cf100 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
pianodude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 7
Re: POLL: No MAAC Insurance, would you still pay MAAC Dues

Let's compare apples to apples... A good friend of mine is one of Canada's premier aviation insurance providers. Yesterday, I asked hime to come up with a quote that would insure our club as a whole with the same coverage that MAAC supplies. I will present the findings to my club at the first meeting in January for further discussion. I will also post the info here. 90% of the members (myself included) do not fly IMAC or attend funfly's( not anti- social, I just don't have time), so this may be a financially viable option with a club of about 65 members. Personally, I only join MAAC for the insurance.... John.
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126

The problem with a Yes or No poll is that the real question is usually not that simple. I voted yes because: the fields where I can safely fly my planes are MAAC fields; the contests and Funfly events that I want to attend are MAAC events; the contests in the US that I plan to attend this year let me fly because they recognize my membership in MAAC. I would also pay the dues (which would be less without the insurance component) to have a national voice lobbying for the freedoms we continue to enjoy in this hobby.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
MikeCam
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

35% for and 65% against. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be close if more sport flyers out there knew that the insurance portion of their membership costs $15.
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
d_orgera
RCC Contributor

I am: Den O.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG, 7C

Total Props: 4

wasn't worth the effort....delete!

Merry Christmas!

Den

Last edited by d_orgera; 12-23-2012 at 12:59 PM.
d_orgera is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
bigguy
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetman View Post
the problem with a yes or no poll is that the real question is usually not that simple. I voted yes because: The fields where i can safely fly my planes are maac fields; the contests and funfly events that i want to attend are maac events; the contests in the us that i plan to attend this year let me fly because they recognize my membership in maac. I would also pay the dues (which would be less without the insurance component) to have a national voice lobbying for the freedoms we continue to enjoy in this hobby.
+1 ......
Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
bigguy
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_orgera View Post
Yes I would support MAAC. The hobby needs a governing body to fight for our best interests. The insurance isn't the only benefit. If you don't have MAAC to keep the CRTC, Transport Canada, local governments, etc informed and off our backs, we'll be flying little foam air-hogs in our basements for fun and not much else.

I work in telecom and I can assure you the CRTC won't hesitate to take our 72 MHz band from us and cut our power output on 2.4 GHz by 90% if there's no organization to lobby on our behalf.

Have any of you read about the feeding frenzy that occurs every time the CRTC releases a frequency spectrum for bidding....it's insane. The CRTC knows it can make a fortune selling off low power 72 MHz licenses for industrial use. Furthermore, as the 2.4 GHz band gets more congested, the first place they're going to look to cut congestion is with unnecessary "toys," like our RC stuff. We'll be cut down to 10 mW in a heartbeat, which is ok for ground level RC and, perhaps, park flyers, but little else.

How quickly do you want your flying fields turned into soccer pitches or nature trails?

If you don't want to support MAAC, get another hobby!

Cheers
Den
+1 ...........
Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_orgera View Post
If you don't want to support MAAC, get another hobby!

Cheers
Den
Are you actually suggesting that if someone chooses NOT to buy a MAAC membership that they should NOT even consider the RC hobby?.....you can't be serious!....maybe too much egg nog?

btw, before you light the flame throwers, I have been a MAAC member for 30+ years.

Ron
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 1,395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpetman View Post
The problem with a Yes or No poll is that the real question is usually not that simple. I voted yes because: the fields where I can safely fly my planes are MAAC fields; the contests and Funfly events that I want to attend are MAAC events; the contests in the US that I plan to attend this year let me fly because they recognize my membership in MAAC. I would also pay the dues (which would be less without the insurance component) to have a national voice lobbying for the freedoms we continue to enjoy in this hobby.
It's a nobel sentiment, but fields, events and cross border flying is based on MAAC carrying that liability coverage.

If you consider the question honestly, without insurance our membership takes a dramatic decline.

With such a decline, a decline in influence would follow. (assuming the association would survive the membership decline )

"decrease in fees "? LOL, yeah that will happen.

As long as MAAC kept direct representation with T. C. , I'd stick it out for a while, but I suspect it's a moot point as I don't think it survives the membership crash.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 1,395

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Are you actually suggesting that if someone chooses NOT to buy a MAAC membership that they should NOT even consider the RC hobby?.....you can't be serious!....maybe too much egg nog?

btw, before you light the flame throwers, I have been a MAAC member for 30+ years.

Ron
Clearly there are many more hobby flyers than MAAC members. The retail industry that exists certainly does not survive on 9 - 10K notoriously cheap modelers?

.... A conservative ratio estimate I once heard from a hobby retailer was at least 1:4 (MAAC members to active flyers )
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in