The true meaning of RC is friendship - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 05:53 AM   #1
peiviper

Total Props: 0
The true meaning of RC is friendship

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I had the pleasure of meeting one of our club members for the first time the other day, a young man by the name of Micheal Caseley who has Cerebral palsy. I witnessed the true meaning of friendship and what being a member of a Rc club means. To see the sparkle in Micheals eye's when he got to our flying field the excitement when his good friend Gary from Great Hobbies put his Super Sportster into the air. The way that Gary and Micheal interacted together was something to see.

I was amazed how Micheal could handle that plane.

There was a post earlier from a person wondering why he should join a club, Well my friend I got the answer to your question the other day, you join a club for the above reasons, to have a friend like Gary who will take you flying, spend time with you over the winter building a plane and being a buddy.

I an happy to have a friend like Gary and now a new friend in Micheal.

Hey Mike keep the pilot screaming "Buddy"

PEIVIPER

MAAC 73273
peiviper is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:12 AM   #2
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Well said!

Don't know why people want to be loaners in this hobby.

Part of my reasons for getting involved in IMAC was and and still is the friendship thing. Now I know with my flying that I will probably never win a contest, unless no one else shows up, but that's not why I fly IMAC.

I have made more friends in the last two years then in the previous 28 years i have been involved in RC.

There is no way any one person can know more then a group of people. Learn from your club members as I am sure some learn from you. If you want a loaner hobby.... do crosswords or something.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:13 AM   #3
Colin
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Colin B
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 13
Gary does a great deal with Mike. Mike's a great guy and it's a pleasure to fly with him! Keep it up

Colin

Old 06-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
ThePeej

Seeing how someone so confined by a condition so outside his control can garnish such feelings of freedom from an activity like flying a model airplane, certainly gives me a new appreciation for what our hobby really can do for people. Talk about "the sky is the limit"!!!

Michael is an inspiration simply because he never listened to things like "can't" and "impossible".

He's the man!
ThePeej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:56 AM   #5
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Thanks for post

Hi,

I really appreciate hearing about the good side of RC and the way our people help others. RC flyers have always gone out of there way to share their knowledge and skills with others and help when needed.

To me, there is nothing more rewarding than the look on someones face after their first flight and also when the finally get their wings. This is a fun sport/hobby, and sometimes it is difficult for some to become proficient at, and sometimes takes a lot of work, but once they do, they have a real sense of pride and accomplishment and I notice that almost immediately start helping others.

Keep up the good work guys and gals! Remember to Fly4Fun and enjoy the great people we get to meet and share the good times with!

I hope I get a chance to meet some of my "pen pals" here at RCC over the summer.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Pres. K/W Flying Dutchmen
MAAC 6166 L
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Now this is what RC Flying is really all about! Ditto on everything that has been said here in this thread!

Like Jim, aka Scaleguy, I too have made more real friends since I have been involved with the hobby than I ever did before joining my first RC Club... and my good buddy Jim is a prime example of this friendship!

Both Gary and Micheal are real inspirations to all of us! Look around your own club, get to know the folks you see there all the time and you will find inspireing examples right in your own surroundings! Get involved! Part of the real joy is not just taking all that a club has to offer but giving something back..."Paying it forward"... so to speak! Club membership has its dues, but the return on your investment can be so much more than your monitary costs! The example in the first post here is testimony to that for sure!

Peiviper, thanks for sharing this wonderful experience with us! This truly is what RC is all about and this is the kind of posts that we need to see more of!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:41 AM   #7
extra300

That sounds great! It's so refreshing to here about a club willing to take the time and effort to help those who need a special hand. I have shared this before but i'll share it again. We also have a couple of members who need extra help. Seeing them fly and get better at it is worth every minute of my time. Yes it may take out my so called flying time. Yes it may take some more time to set up and clean up a few extra planes because they can't. But you know what, who cares!! I think a club is there for exactly that reason. A club should be a place where everybody feels welcome disability or not. We have made a special effort wether its parking or plane clean-up to accomodate our friends and fellow flyers. I'm not saying this to "tooot" our horn. We here so much about tourmoil within clubs over some very small issues. I feel strongly that if everyone would just enjoy the hobby, and enjoy helping others enjoy it, that club will be blessed. I have interacted with many
fellow flyers on this site who feel the same.
Again i commend you on your non-selfish act of giving your time and friendship to someone who needs it. You are what this hobby should be about. Thank-you

Mark
extra300 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:35 AM   #8
Donkey Doctor

Hello; I have about 13 years in the hobby, it took me at least 2 years to become suffieciently proficient to be left alone to fly by myself. After four years I started to feel like there was no more to do in this hobby, and that it was time to find something else to entertain myself, but it was the friendship that kept me going out to the field on Sundays. That friendship is now what keeps me looking forward to flying on sundays, or even just going out to the field without a plane to fly. In the last 13 years, I've seen lots of people come and go, but the core group continue because of friendship.

I am declining in interest in flying this past year, but I'll never decline in interest in the wonderful friendships that flying has brought me.
Donkey Doctor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:17 PM   #9
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Donkey Doctor, well said my friend!!!

I had started feeling the same way as you with the declining interest! But I love the hobby and friends so much that I sat down and figured out ways to make it more apealing to me and helping others was one of the big turn arounds for me. I started instructing and I just love it! When I go out to the field for our training days, I very rairly take a plane with me but I do get to fly and I do get to help others to learn to fly. Its quite rejuvinating for me to see the excitement and joy in the faces of students!

Also, a year ago, I decided to give IMAC a try. This has also become a real joy to me and again, a whole new batch of friends with like interest! Talk about learning, this is an awsome whole new learning experience!

One of the beauties of this hobby is that you never stop learning and there is always someone who can use your help and experience! As you can tell, I am a strong advocate of belonging to a club. Try new things, pitch in and help others and you will never get bored!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:43 PM   #10
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Re: The true meaning of RC is friendship

And this is just one of many reasons I been trying to get to PEI to meet Garry

Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peiviper
I had the pleasure of meeting one of our club members for the first time the other day, a young man by the name of Micheal Caseley who has Cerebral palsy. I witnessed the true meaning of friendship and what being a member of a Rc club means. To see the sparkle in Micheals eye's when he got to our flying field the excitement when his good friend Gary from Great Hobbies put his Super Sportster into the air. The way that Gary and Micheal interacted together was something to see.

I was amazed how Micheal could handle that plane.

There was a post earlier from a person wondering why he should join a club, Well my friend I got the answer to your question the other day, you join a club for the above reasons, to have a friend like Gary who will take you flying, spend time with you over the winter building a plane and being a buddy.

I an happy to have a friend like Gary and now a new friend in Micheal.

Hey Mike keep the pilot screaming "Buddy"

PEIVIPER

MAAC 73273
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in