Allignment - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 10:42 PM   #11

Total Props: 57
Re: Offset

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle
... go look at a picture of a BV141, it flew fine...
Thats not quite apples to apples......

Its a far cry using a plane designed with offset in mind vs one that was not....

This is not something new, if you want a straight flying plane its gotta be built straight, ever see an Extra 300 with a crooked stab, that was used successfully to fly aerobatics in competition?......
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:06 AM   #12
Jollidude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne J

Total Props: 0
With a pattern or Imac aircraft and an experienced competition pilot you will notice that the plane doesn't fly quite right. With a beginner or average sport pilot and a trainer or average sport aircraft you will not notice anything out of the ordinary. I agree with Noin, go fly your airplane and be more careful next time. The building of any model aircraft is a process of making small errors (or sometimes not so small and then trying to correct them. Go have fun with your airplane and leave the hair-splitting aerodynamics to the ones who do have to worry about it.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Jollidude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollidude
With a pattern or Imac aircraft and an experienced competition pilot you will notice that the plane doesn't fly quite right. With a beginner or average sport pilot and a trainer or average sport aircraft you will not notice anything out of the ordinary. I agree with Noin, go fly your airplane and be more careful next time. The building of any model aircraft is a process of making small errors (or sometimes not so small and then trying to correct them. Go have fun with your airplane and leave the hair-splitting aerodynamics to the ones who do have to worry about it.

Cheers!

Jollidude
You will notice it on any aircraft, sport or pattern or pylon or whatever, whether or not it bothers you is the question. 1/4" is not really splitting hairs

Basic aerodynamics don't care if you fly pattern or not

Old 11-20-2004, 04:14 PM   #14
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
If I was me I'd just wack a 1/4 off the long tip and be done with it.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:35 PM   #15
airframe

I've done Alignment checks on Hercules aircraft, CF104, F18's and lots of other aircraft and we work with tolerances of .001 " If you scale those tolerances down for our use do they get smaller or larger. Smaller of course!! Does 1/4" out effect anything? Of course. Does it matter? Depends on you.

Mike Sebastien
airframe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:09 AM   #16
Ed Smith

I do not understand why, when Chad advises that airplanes should be built true he gets an argument.

When people see my racers fly I get the usual comments. "How does it fly so fast?" "How does it turn so sharp?" " How does it fly so straight?" "How do you keep up with it" Without being smart my answer is always the same. It is easy, I build them true and I trim them properly. If they are not built true then they canot be trimmed properly.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Smith
I do not understand why, when Chad advises that airplanes should be built true he gets an argument.

When people see my racers fly I get the usual comments. "How does it fly so fast?" "How does it turn so sharp?" " How does it fly so straight?" "How do you keep up with it" Without being smart my answer is always the same. It is easy, I build them true and I trim them properly. If they are not built true then they canot be trimmed properly.

Ed S
Thats easy Ed Because so few in our hobby have flown properly built and trimmed models so its not an easy thing to appreciate. If I could give every modeller in the country a chance to feel what a precision model really flies like, I bet people would take the time to build them straight and trim them out.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #18
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7
That's what modelling is all about: bettering one's last effort. From that comes building and trimming properly, but for beginners just getting the beast to fly is usually a good start. If it crashes, it is usually from poor trimming, rather than poor building IMHO...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:17 AM   #19
Ed Smith

Quote:
but for beginners just getting the beast to fly is usually a good start. If it crashes, it is usually from poor trimming, rather than poor building IMHO...
Exactly, and the reason it could not be trimmed properly is usually because it was not built properly.

Surely the message that we as experienced builders should be promoting to newcomers is the accurate and proper building of aircraft. I will not support the attitude of "Kind of stick it together anyway for now, but pay more attention next time". After the poorly trimmed model is smashed the likelyhood of a "Next time" is not very great.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:08 PM   #20
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7
You're right...

I have been involved in helping beginners for ~40 years, and I've found that most beginners come to you with a new model that has had no input from an expert during construction. My input was usually either before its maiden flight (which minimises the likelihood of failure and allows some adjustments) or after it had crashed and the beginner wanted to know why. It is also true that my experience is limited to f/f, c/l, and small r/c (sailplanes, SYS, etc), so test flights by the beginner would likely take place at an uncontrolled field.

Sure, it is better to correct construction errors when possible and have the beginner improve his skills at that point, but at the same time it is just as damaging to the beginner to tell him that he just wasted his time and money as it is to let him fly a poorly-trimmed model to destruction. Either way, his second attempt will still be a moot point. I've seen guys criticise a beginner's model to the point where the guy quits then and there; it is better to try to get the beast to fly (as long as there are no safety concerns with the construction), then tell him what needs to be changed for the next session.

I don't support the "kinda stick it together" attitude either, but sometimes ya just ain't there at the time...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in