Canadian grumman tracker - Page 11 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #101
ray77
RCC Contributor

I am: Ray leger

Total Props: 2
Thumbs up Re: Canadian grumman tracker

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
HI...Fantastic , great model !
http://cdn.---------inc.com/rcc/rccf...ons/icon14.gif
ray77 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #102
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Douglas NBartley

Total Props: 3
Elec Re: Canadian grumman tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray77 View Post
Thanks Ray: I appreciate the kind words. I have a little more to do yet, mostly rechecking function, but she will ready to fly when weather permits! flytwice
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #103
ray77
RCC Contributor

I am: Ray leger

Total Props: 2
Re: Canadian grumman tracker

Went to PEI today and took a few pictures of the tracker
at Summerside RCAF park.See it on the Connie thread.
ray77 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #104
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray77 View Post
Went to PEI today and took a few pictures of the tracker
at Summerside RCAF park.See it on the Connie thread.
Thanks my friend, I'll have a look! flytwice
Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #105
Argus
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Wade Z

Total Props: 4

flytwice,

You sure are putting a lot of work into that bird- and it looks some good.

Question for you-one shot of the plans show US Navy markings, indicating a US built Tracker. Did you reduce the fuselage length any? The reason I ask that is the DHC built units had the fuse shortened by approx 2 feet, aft of the wing, because the Bonnaventure's elevators were not as large as those on the larger US carriers.

Was volunteering at the Shearwater Aviation Museum, after taking the AME-Structures course at NSCC. Wound up working on Tracker 1501 (ex-500X) for a bit, with one of the guys who used to be an av tech on the Bonnie.

Some of our Trackers did get turbo-propped. One of my instructors was involved with the conversion done at IMP on one plane. Shortly after, the Gov't decided to retire the fleet.

Wade
MAAC #57828
Living dangerously in the Low Fly Zone (seakings overhead !!!!)
Aircraft Maintenence Engineer-Structures apprentice
Argus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #106
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Hi Argus: Thanks for checking in, I was not aware so many people knew about or had worked on and around these ASW's. After checking the scale, I opted to leave the fuselage length as drawn, despite knowing Cdn aircraft where shortened for our carrier.
This Tracker is already a very short fuselaged plane, tip to tail is 38 1/2". My fear of a balancing issue stopped me from shortening the fuse!
As is, it is proving a tricky plane to balance. With landing gear down, it balances pretty close to determined CG, but with gear up (all gear goes back), CG changes by more than 1". In both cases, nose wheel has about 6ozs of weight, barely enough to keep her on the wheels.
If I was doing this plane again, I'd move the mains back 1/2" to get a little more nose weight on lg. The problem stems from the mains being just 1/4" behind CG as it sits.
I think first flights will be with LG down, and move Cg after determining the planes flying character. flytwice
Old 07-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #107
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Well, the maiden attempt was made! Even tho we seemed to have good flying speed, plane left the ground square to the ground. As soon as it was 2-3 ft above ground it started a left roll, no amount of rudder and aileron could bring it back. It cartwheeled twice, breaking out the nose wheel, couple of holes punched in bombay, bec broke from its mount. No wing damage.
I have concluded the wing WAS built with "wash in" instead of "wash out" as planned. What happened is the result of a tip stall.
Back to the drawing board, I'll rework the wing over winter, no time now. Thats my report flytwice
Old 06-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #108
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

So where is this model now ???
Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #109
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Hi Danagaras: Sorry I have no time to do anything with the Tracker. Life has gotten in the way big time around here.
I still need to rework the wing, make larger ailerons, so until I get moved to new location and settled in, the plane is definitely on hold.
Btween moving, having a mother that got hurt in Jan, then ended up in asssited care centre, real estate bungles and finding suitable places for my airplanes and gear, I'm rather busy. Look for further later, maybe fall. flytwice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in