IMAC 2017 possible dates??? Might as well get started. - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Old 09-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #21
Capcanuck
RCC Contributor

I am: Lee P
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 1
Re: IMAC 2017 possible dates??? Might as well get started.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I would help co- CD a contest at the 400 club. We would have to fly the Alternate but it is a great site. Mid June or July ( without conflict with the US nationals) is preferred.
Lee
Capcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #22
-Rick-
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K.
Radio of choice:
Frsky X12S Horus, X20S
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

Off track, sorry. But sometimes I believe IMAC has limited themselves by the size of plane due to field size. What would be the minimum requirement for the field size be? 400 feet landing area, 500?
MAAC #20880
-Rick- is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:05 PM   #23
Capcanuck
RCC Contributor

I am: Lee P
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 4

Field size isn't the issue, it's overfly area. These planes use a lot of sky and are visible for miles. They are often quieter, but the publics perception is that they are closer than they actually are and can be annoying because they fly for long times ( most IMAC pilots are constantly practicing their routines which take ten or twelve minutes) unlike sport flyers who fly lower, more erratically and shorter times.
There are work arounds, such as flying at off hours, flying the Alternate routines ( for the upper classes) and using three blade props and lots of throttle control.
There is also a perception in most clubs that IMAC guys are imposing and maybe a little uppity with their fancy radios and big planes. Good communication, a friendly and open attitude and trying to be helpful with club members who you think might be receptive goes a long way to endear you with sport flying members.
Capcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #24
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 21

The factors that Lee outline are correct, however field size is an issue as there are some fields that just cannot accommodate 35-40% planes, or not readily handle 2 lines with pilots taking off and landing within seconds of each other.

I don't want to disagree with Lee, but I understand why Rick is asking the question as the field I have discussed with him likely cannot easily handle 40% aircraft. Take-offs would not be an issue but getting them back down can be tricky, especially on a field that is unfamiliar to pilots who don't fly there on a regular basis. With the right wind and good landing skills I am not saying it is impossible, just there are a variety of pilots in these contests with varying abilities.

Rick I cannot tell you how many feet without doing a review of several fields and figuring out what their measurements are.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #25
Alan Brace
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Alan B
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Rick if its the field I am thinking its only 300 ft. the location is great as far as space, but you could only have 1 flight line.
we would need another 150 ft just for safety, and if you wanted a contest I am sure we would have to talk to the aerodrome to keep full size away as they like to fly over.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:52 AM   #26
-Rick-
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Frsky X12S Horus, X20S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpilotca View Post
The factors that Lee outline are correct, however field size is an issue as there are some fields that just cannot accommodate 35-40% planes, or not readily handle 2 lines with pilots taking off and landing within seconds of each other.

I don't want to disagree with Lee, but I understand why Rick is asking the question as the field I have discussed with him likely cannot easily handle 40% aircraft. Take-offs would not be an issue but getting them back down can be tricky, especially on a field that is unfamiliar to pilots who don't fly there on a regular basis. With the right wind and good landing skills I am not saying it is impossible, just there are a variety of pilots in these contests with varying abilities.

Rick I cannot tell you how many feet without doing a review of several fields and figuring out what their measurements are.
Understood Bill, but those two factors do take many fields out of the running for IMAC. I totally agree with your thoughts on the issue.
MAAC #20880
Old 09-25-2016, 04:53 AM   #27
-Rick-
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Frsky X12S Horus, X20S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brace View Post
Rick if its the field I am thinking its only 300 ft. the location is great as far as space, but you could only have 1 flight line.
we would need another 150 ft just for safety, and if you wanted a contest I am sure we would have to talk to the aerodrome to keep full size away as they like to fly over.
Yes Alan, I know that it would never work at Owen Sound. Way to close to the airport.
MAAC #20880
Old 09-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #28
Ken W
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ken W

The loss of fields is a major reason why there is a decrease in in IMAC participation. Nobody wants to have a lot of money tied up in a plane you can't use. There are more reasons just check out the thread on that other site for people who like to fly giant planes.We are losing fields for different reasons, Stoney Creek was lost thanks to our ZD, Chatham was from wind turbines etc. For the long term sustainability of IMAC and rc in general I think we should look at ownership of the airport or RC field.That way we can make going to the field more than just flying,like camping or events ?
Ken W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #29
steven r
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Steven Ruxton
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 2

Still ironing out some details but looks like Woodstock will be a two day event next year. Hoping this makes it worth the drive for people further away.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:49 AM   #30
BMG
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brendan G.
Radio of choice:
18MZ
# of RCs: 3.5

Total Props: 4

Thanks for working on that Steve. Every contest helps us to stay alive and foster new interest.
BMG is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in