gerald49
RCC Apprentice

I am: Gerry S
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Another first time Builder

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My first time build is going great. I have the bench set up the kit opened up (I haven' seen soooo much kindling since I was a cub scout). The stab and elevator went together very nicely but I have a problem with the wing. If this were a computer forum I would expect a respone like RTFM but that is what I did do- I just didn't follow it. NOTE TO SELF- place weights on wing then glue not glue then place weights on wing. My question is now that I have a wing with the trailing edge about about a 3/32 high over a 30 inch wing, how big a problem is this? How do I go about fixing this or is it worth woring about? Oh- I am building a Great Planes Planes Ultra Sport 40+. Thanks for any advice
gerald49 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

Re: Another first time Builder

3/32, although not that much, will probably be noticeable on the finished product. However, its not something to be overly concerned with on completion. It may just give you trim problems, which can be easily corrected with control adjustment. On your first build, I hope your not a rivet counter.

I wouldn't jump because of it. Sounds like your coming along just fine. Have a good time, and I'm happy to hear your building.

Guy

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187

Last edited by mtnflyer; 01-08-2010 at 11:05 PM.
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
swixtt
RCC Contributor

I am: Jay

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald49 View Post
My first time build is going great. I have the bench set up the kit opened up (I haven' seen soooo much kindling since I was a cub scout). The stab and elevator went together very nicely but I have a problem with the wing. If this were a computer forum I would expect a respone like RTFM but that is what I did do- I just didn't follow it. NOTE TO SELF- place weights on wing then glue not glue then place weights on wing. My question is now that I have a wing with the trailing edge about about a 3/32 high over a 30 inch wing, how big a problem is this? How do I go about fixing this or is it worth woring about? Oh- I am building a Great Planes Planes Ultra Sport 40+. Thanks for any advice
toss up some pics of it...
swixtt is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald49 View Post
If You mean its twisted this can be removed once its covered. By twisting it the other way and retightening the covering ,this will take the twist out
Once covered lay wing so you can twist in other direction ,then iron out the wrinkles and let cool. Check for being flat. Other than that build the other wing the same ,I believe that is whats known as washout and may stop plane from tip stall. In any case it is in my opinion better to have both wings the same so when you trim it out with your radio both ways will still react the same

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
annemarie

The problems with the elevator is the same or sometimes different faces as some kind of malfunction occurs if not properly serviced.
annemarie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
spitrc
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Larry F.
Radio of choice:
All
# of RCs: 40

In reading your post I am assuming that you have a twist in the wing.
If the outer wing trailing edge ( the edge at the aileron ) is 3/32 higher that the
back edge than it is at the center of the wing then you have built in some washout. That is ok and may even be a good thing as it will prevent "tip stalling". if the outer edge backside is twisted the other way that is bad.
To correct this before covering , I usually weigh it or clamp it down to a flat surface. Then using a spray bottle with hot water, Wet the balsa and let it dry overnight. There is usually enough "give" in the wood to let it stretch and it should come out straight and once dry it stays that way.
spitrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16

Even if it resembles a plane when you're done, good job

Great to hear, another builder! Each one you build will just get better and better!
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
gerald49
RCC Apprentice

I am: Gerry S
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Great Advice Thanks for your replies.
gerald49 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in