C/F vs Wood Props - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 05:19 PM   #1
WildBill
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bill M

Total Props: 0
C/F vs Wood Props

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys,
has anyone out there ever done comparison between different types of props to determine rpm stats for different props? i am curious to know whether a C/F will turn faster or slower than a wood of the same size and pitch, i am interested to know how say a C/F bolly compares to a wood menz, or a C/F mejzlik compares to a menz or msc. Thanks for any info guys.
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I haven't used the big props like your asking about but I do know from using carbon fibre for FAI racing they are the best. They are extremely stiff which gives less flex and the airfoil does not change.
Ed and a few others could probably give you a lot more details on them.
John
Old 05-13-2004, 03:34 PM   #3
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163
props

Hi Bill,

I don't think that the material that the prop is made of really affects the rpm. It can affect the "spool up" time. RPM is a function of the prop design itself, not the material it's made of . eg, wide blades, narrow blades, tip shape.

In my experience with the props u mention, Mejzlik's turn the most rpm but, look at them, they have narrow blades compared to the others mentioned, less load on the engine=more rpm. More rpm is not necessarily better.

The Menz S props have a fairly wide blade and turn a fair bit less rpm than the Mejzliks.

The MSC props have a really wide blade and are actually longer than the other's when comparing like sizes. eg 27" MSC is longer than a 27" Menz or Mejzlik. They turn the least rpm of any of the brands I've tried.

On my H9 Sukhoi the MSC 25x10 gives the best in the air performance when compared to the Menz 26x10 and MEj even though it turns 500 rpm less than the Menz and 900 less than the Mej.

I have several of Mike's (MSC) props 25x10, 23x10 and 22x8 and really like them.

Mike
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-13-2004, 05:06 PM   #4
WildBill
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bill M

props

Thanks for the help Mike, The main reason i asked the question is i am trying to design an exhaust system that will perform like a jmb can, but will remain in front of the firewall, my test motor is the MVVS 58, i have video footage of it turning a 26-10 Mejzlik at 6000, so that is teh mark i am trying to get, but i didn't want to buy an $80-90 prop just for a practice, i have a 24-10 menz on it and am hoping to get about 7000, we will see. thanks again for the info and help.
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #5
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163
muffler

Good luck with it Bill, we could all use a system like that!

Mike
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in