canadianice
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jeff t
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 12
where are all of the twins?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Haveing built two of them myself I think I have worked out he problem. Both where underpowered. Twins are buy nature larger than our single seat fighters larger planes have more drag and weight. Two 15's can not get the speeds needed to compete in WW2 and you wind up being chased by every one. Before you say well get a better engine. I did,OS CVA's, they cost more than our FX's 50% more and will not turn bigger than an 8/4 prop. I am proposing that we let 25's that we already have be used in them and see if that will get more of them to built and flown. Will they be faster yes, are they going to be faster than our single's dont know yet. I am building the twin Mustang and will be using 25 FX's in them to fly at our Sunday scrambles will let you know how it works and the reaction of the guys who fly agianst me.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Patch
RCC Contributor

I am: Jason H

Total Props: 1
I like that idea. faster, yeah, but harder and more expensive to build too. Maybe putting a prop limitation on it would satisfy the nah sayers.

In theory, everything works.
Patch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
Buzz
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dan P

Total Props: 0
Well, here's the nay sayer.

Maybe the problem is that all the other planes are getting too fast.

I believe, just as it is written in the rules, the objective of WW2 scale combat was to recreate WW2 era combat. It seems that we have an unsatiable need for speed in this class, far exceeding scale speed for these planes, which should be at best 40mph. To me this matters in the sense that it takes away from the scaleness of the class. There are no rules governing speed in this class, but I personally think it is not in the spirit of the intent of the class. There is a class for this however, and its called open B.

In Europe, WW2 combat is alive and well. They use .20 size plain bearing engines and seem to make it work just fine.

But I digress. Aside from my little rant, here are some points to consider:

* An OS.25FX engine spinning a 9x4 APC prop at 18000rpm, produces about 6.38 lbs of static thrust (just shy of twice the maximum weight allowable in the class)

* An OS.15LA spinning an 8x4 APC prop at 17000rpm produces 3.55lbs of static thrust, thus a twin would produce 7.1lbs of static thrust. Considerably more than a single OS.25FX.

* Wing loading on a P51 mustang weighing the allowable maximum of 3.5 lbs and having a typical wing area of 240 sq.in. is 33.5 oz/sq.ft.

* A typical p38 with an allowable wingspan of 57" and weighing the allowable maximum 4.5lbs would have a wing loading of 30 oz/sq.ft.

This is just an example, but here you have 2 planes with relatively the same wing loading, with the twin example having roughly 11% more thrust.

Our combat planes can already climb until they lose radio range. Do we really want to go this route?

This year I am focusing more on WW1 combat, but with the allowance of BB engines, I fear that class is headed for the same fate. WW1 was designed to be much slower, with pilot skill, "E" management and calculating your engagements mattering more than chasing a plane down.

Just my opinion.
www.hvrcf.org
MAAC R/C Scale Combat Committee
Buzz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:12 AM   #4
Bent
RCC Contributor

Jeff
You're supposed to slow down a little after getting married! Warbird twins are very cool and I've had a P-38 on the back burner for years. I'm willing to bet an FX powered twin won't be much faster than a single. With the extra weight it definitely won't be as manouverable. Looking forward to the flight report.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
canadianice
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jeff t
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 12
slowin down

Yea I know I think it is mid life chatching up with me. I just bought a Mecedes CLK 320. You want to talk fast. Point well taken, I'm going to bulid it any way and use it for demo's and Sunday scrambles.

On the WW1 side of things, I am building an other DR1 for Jeff Decalawy I am using undercamber airfiols and increasing the wing cord 1/2 inch 3 degrees of positive incedence in the tail [first ones flew with a ton of down trim]. hope the under camber will help with slowing it down some and giving more lift. as this one tends to come out on the max weight side. then maybee I can slow it down some. The pusher was probably the sowest flying plane at the meet the other weekend and it took the most cuts. Mind you in the hands of a rookie disaster it flies about 10 mph above stall so you realy got to manage your manovers.

Ted came across some great wheels for WW1 at Wall Mart, they sell baby strollers for 12 bucks and you get 8 wheels that are mint should make landings better.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
godfrey

Hey Dan,
How'd you figure out those figures for thrust? It's interesting that a .15 can produce enough thrust to fly a 3.5 lb airplane. Makes me want to try it so i can hide the engine in the cowl better!
I think you and I have had this disscusion before: the .25 versus .15 debate.
The Fokker d-8 spad that I'm doing weighs about 1.2 lbs (without radio gear) so my .15 should be able to pull it around no problem. I was wondering if it was gonna have enough poke to do the job..
Greg
godfrey is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:16 AM   #7
Buzz
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dan P

Greg,

I used the thrust calculator algorythm that's available on our website, in the library section under "other documents".

These are static thrust figures, and we are talking at maximum RPM. Even if the figures are off somewhat, they are good for relativity. It allows you to put 2 case scenarios in there to compare the results.
www.hvrcf.org
MAAC R/C Scale Combat Committee
Buzz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
Midairplarina
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Alex P
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 2
Twins hey

Hey i got a p38 on the go for JEff as well soem day ill finish it hes got to cva .15 for ti so it should be just fine..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0064_106.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	15183  
Old 03-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #9
Ryan
RCC Apprentice

I am: Ryan
Radio of choice:
spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Hi that P 38 is Crapppp LOL No it look's Sweet
Ryan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
Gert
RCC Noob

P 38- Lightning

I flew my some years old JDB-kit Lightning with OS LA.15 engines in the biggest European contest at WASG in Znojmo Czech Rep. last summer.
Engines turned with APC 7/5 props and 25% fuel nearly 17000 Rpm ( limit here in Europe), plane was fast as the fastest single engines here. In first round where I used the P 38 one enemy was Dan Pek - Cz Champ of 2004 with his quite fast Me 109 H with MVVS 3,5 engine. All planes behind my Lightning the did not get my streamer, after a risc attak of Dan I got his streamer, he not mine! But the singles have been more manuveral, the double only fast - and a beautiful picture in the air !I was the onliest user of a twin in contest, the Sweden had a very good Tigercat, but the did not use it in contest. A foto is on ACES Slovenija Foto WASG 119 1970
Watching your forum always with interest -
regards G e r t NC of Austria
Gert is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in