Old 01-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
flysrcs
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
Man this Sucks!!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
After not being able to breathe and my wife not enjoying my new found shape of blue. She whisked me off to the MD's kicking a screaming! 1/2 hour later I was diagnosed with a good case of pneumonia. A prescription and a follow-up appointment this evening with a speech of I'm much improving came to other speech which my bride heard very loud and clear, which as follows. For the remainder of the winter I'm not to use/do anything that creates a fume, has an odor, or makes a dust. Well if anyone that knows me also knows that this is near impossible. So for the next 3 months I'm going to be one ornery guy with my shop being off limits. Any one for a game of cards, and by the way I hate playing cards.
Dave
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
pianodude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 7
Re: Man this Sucks!!!!

that does suck... i cut my finger badly in the spring and the only thing i could do was watch tv for two weeks.. pretty near drove me nuts!!
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Dennis 9412
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysrcs View Post
After not being able to breathe and my wife not enjoying my new found shape of blue. She whisked me off to the MD's kicking a screaming! 1/2 hour later I was diagnosed with a good case of pneumonia. A prescription and a follow-up appointment this evening with a speech of I'm much improving came to other speech which my bride heard very loud and clear, which as follows. For the remainder of the winter I'm not to use/do anything that creates a fume, has an odor, or makes a dust. Well if anyone that knows me also knows that this is near impossible. So for the next 3 months I'm going to be one ornery guy with my shop being off limits. Any one for a game of cards, and by the way I hate playing cards.
Dave
Hey Dave:

Wonder how much Christine paid the Doc!!

Better stay out of the can while you're at it, as you might create some fumes there!!

Know all about the pneumonia bud, been there!!

Get better and we'll see you at the meeting in a couple weeks.

Regards,

Dennis
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
SpaceCowboy
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
FAVOURITE - JR X9303
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2

Hi Dave ; Get well soon.

You might want to invest in a good gas mask that filters out ALL chemical odours and dust.

That would get you back in the building mode.

Regards ; Mike from Brentwood
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:54 AM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

Hey my friend, I know it sucks big time but your talking about your lungs and your ability to breathe! I had a severe chest cold this past Christmas and as you know, it is very scarry not being able to breathe when you're gasping for breath!

As much as your going to be tempted, STAY OUT OF THE SHOP! Here is a good chance to get caught up on some things like reading. Personally, I bought a new radio system and I spent a lot of my time going over the instructions and learning how to properly program the thing. Also had some ideas for a new plane I wanted to design so I got on the drawing board and sketched up some of these ideas.

I found that there were a number of things I knew I should do but had been putting off because I wanted to be in the shop building. So....here was my chance to get those things, or at least a number of them, accomplished.

Just focus on the things you CAN do and NOT on the things you CAN NOT do!

All the best for a speedy recovery my friend, and take care of yourself. You'll live to build and fly another day!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
igor_throw_the_switch
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad Kacer

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysrcs View Post
For the remainder of the winter I'm not to use/do anything that creates a fume, has an odor, or makes a dust. Well if anyone that knows me also knows that this is near impossible. So for the next 3 months I'm going to be one ornery guy with my shop being off limits.
I'm reading this a bit differently (I should have been a lawyer, but I prefer to look at myself in the mirror without wincing). You should *avoid* fumes/odours/dust. Get a good furnace blower motor, some flex venting (like you'd use for a dryer), and some cardboard. Make yourself a dust extractor system vented to the outside (the cardboard is for the vent hood).

I find myself trying to avoid the F/O/D as much as possible these days (yet I still smoke - go figure ). There are a lot of *good* adhesives out there that don't pose a health risk - sure they ain't as quick as CA, but I think we should all be more concerned about these things. I inherited my Dads' old dust collector system (he bought himself a fancy one from Busy Bee) that consists of a furnace blower, a 5 gal plastic pail, and the big dust bag. I'm thinking of doing away with this and going to direct to outdoors venting.

If your wife sees this post, my name is Gary Maker

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
JeffElecRC
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeffrey T

Sorry to hear about your ailment Dave.

Any OHSA or MSDS experts out there? I get the sniffles and a headache when using CA glue, so I wear an organic vapour mask I purchased from Canadian Tire. It says its suitable for painting/mold removal/etc and the CA doesnt bother me when I use it, so I'm hoping thats enough. I also started working with a dust collector from Lee valley that helps with the balsa dust and draws the CA fumes away from my face.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
inhissteps
RCC Contributor

I am: Wes Quist
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7s
# of RCs: 10

Man that Does Suck

Well at least its not summer. I would hope that buy flying season you should be good to go.
You may have to take up LEGO or Macano in the mean time.

Wishing you a speedy recovery with a touch of sanity and patients
inhissteps is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElecRC View Post
Sorry to hear about your ailment Dave.

Any OHSA or MSDS experts out there? I get the sniffles and a headache when using CA glue, so I wear an organic vapour mask I purchased from Canadian Tire. It says its suitable for painting/mold removal/etc and the CA doesnt bother me when I use it, so I'm hoping thats enough. I also started working with a dust collector from Lee valley that helps with the balsa dust and draws the CA fumes away from my face.
As long as you bear in mind that you need to replace the mask occasionally. I like the big silicone 3M masks with two cartridges on them. I should wear it more.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
canadianf1pilot
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 6

you could try building with coro...no dust

Bill
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in