Electric Clubs in the City Parks - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #21
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Re: Electric Clubs in the City Parks

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
[QUOTE=Tex Gehman;648880]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirch View Post
City of Toronto bylaws [url]-------
§ 608-19. Model aircraft and rockets.

While in a park, no person shall operate powered models of aircraft, rockets, watercraft or vehicles unless authorized by permit.....QUOTE]

So it's OK to launch a 10 lb high-performance sailplane. Shows that the by-law probably wouldn't pass the sniff test in the Supreme Court. Tex.
Or a sailboat.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #22
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16

This thread is coming off course a bit.......

I was hoping to hear from more guys that have gone through the steps to setup a proper sanctioned weight restricted electric flying site within a city.

I know they're out there!

As I mentioned, if there was something worth sharing I'm sure it would have surfaced by now

Thanks
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #23
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4

What about Ultimates flying over the 407 lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post
Our flying club is rented space from the Toronto parks dept., and I am pretty sure there is a bylaw against flying in Toronto parks, now I have to check.

- Eric

(Toronto police come to visit, and I've seen them and talked to them when they're practising their quadrunner off-road patrols)

Old 10-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #24
tuxflaxstr

Total Props: 0

This class seems like it would be amazing. I'm new to this site and I am so sad that I am going to miss out on it...
tuxflaxstr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #25
Cdallas2
RCC Contributor

I am: Chris D

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes500E View Post

I was hoping to hear from more guys that have gone through the steps to setup a proper sanctioned weight restricted electric flying site within a city.

As I mentioned, if there was something worth sharing I'm sure it would have surfaced by now

Thanks
Don't the Kelowna guys have a designated park flyer field? If so maybe get a hold of them.....

We have one here as well but I've never flown at that site and came along after it was setup.

Seems that both have the co-operation of the cities though and are both MAAC sanctioned.
Chris Dallas MAAC#41367

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Cdallas2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #26
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16

Hi Chris,
You are correct, I have received input from them. I'm trying to reach others as well to help me get a good handle on what to expect!

Thanks for posting!
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #27

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes500E View Post

Thanks
I think that the problem isn't that there aren't clubs in this situation (using civic facilities), the people involved just haven't replied and the yahoos are flailing away at each other.

The Aurora Ontario club leases their field from the local town, though it's not in a park but on a farm property that they own and are in the process of slowly developing (farm to the north is undergoing construction and a new police station is going to be located almost directly off the north end of their main runway, so the total time remainng for the club on that location is probably going to be a few years at most.)

I'd suggest the following steps:
1) Identify a town-owned field or park that could be developed as a flying site. Take note of the neighbours because you're going to have to deal with them as your first effort in public relations during the process of getting permission from the local government.
2) Approach your MAAC Zone Director for his assistance in dealing with the local government (remember that you are going to have to do all the legwork and dealing with politicians -- your ZD is there as a consultant and spokesperson for the national assoication).
3) Contact your local councillor to determine who you should be talking to regarding the field (don't mention what it is right now) -- parks and recreation, properties, facilities, whatever the right name for the department is.
4) Approach the department and find out who you have to talk to and engage them to help you develop a plan for the site as well as learning the actual availability. Also, see if they are willing to deal with an individual or do they prefer an organization such as a club. If the latter, you now have the fun of setting up a new MAAC-registered club and getting enough members up front to pay the rent.
5) Brace yourself for sticker shock -- rentors may be regarded as a cash cow.....

I'd spotted a field in Newmarket that would make an ideal electric field, not just small ones but giant scale and hotliners. I got to the point of determining the rent and got a surprise -- ouch! Too rich for my blood and no one in the area really wanted another electric club.

Oh yes, don't go for a "prize winning design" for your efforts -- do the minimum amount of design to meet MAAC requirements and the local conditions. Multiple runways, parking areas, controlled access, fencing and signs other than the MAAC-required minimum can wait for the club to be up and running.

Yes, some people here will talk about why don't you just go and fly. You'd asked about clubs which is a different thing that a rogue flyer.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in