Electro-Glider w/ Payload Bay - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
DKNguyen

I am: Dan N

Total Props: 0
Electro-Glider w/ Payload Bay

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi everyone. I'm not a pilot or anything but need a platform to use me electronic projects in and was thinking getting an powered glider to mess around with (so I can use my motor controllers, sensors, and fit an autopilot or ground sensing sonar in it, etc).

I was thinking about just starting by trying to make a stablizer system and basically just launching the glider (unpowered) and seeing if the computer can get it to fly straight until it hits the ground.

I have a few questions. If you do just launch a glider and let it fly until it hits the ground, is it a crash or landing? Because it's be pointless to start that way if it's destructive. And how far does a "dumb" glider normally fly after it's been launched? Because if it blindly flies too far that's also unsafe. And don't gliders tend to normally fly straight anyways? I kind of need something that is stable, but at the same time is unstable enough so I can test the control system.

And since I'm not a pilot and there's a untested computer trying to control things it's also going to crash a lot. BUt I am having a hard time finding foam (ie. non-wood gliders) that have a good hollows fuselage for payload for the electronics and sensors. Does anyone know of any?

THanks.
DKNguyen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
rkhoo
RCC Contributor

I am: r khoo

Total Props: 1
My 2 cents worth...

<< was thinking getting an powered glider to mess around with >>

For a UAV or conrol system aided flight, I would try one without motor first.. Just one less thing to worry about until you have worked out the flying surfaces, like ruder and elevator.

<< I was thinking about just starting by trying to make a stablizer system and basically just launching the glider (unpowered) and seeing if the computer can get it to fly straight until it hits the ground. >>

Sounds good..but how do you launch it? Hi-Start (bunge cord) is possible.

<<If you do just launch a glider and let it fly until it hits the ground...it's be pointless ... if it's destructive. And how far does a "dumb" glider normally fly after it's been launched? >>

In the days of free-flight , say using rubber-band motor, all gliders are design to fly on it own after the 'motor' runs out. It usually turn left in a very slow sink. And if it hits a thermal, it can stay up for a loong time

<< I kind of need something that is stable, foam (ie. non-wood gliders) that have a good hollows fuselage for payload for the electronics and sensors. Does anyone know of any? >>

Depending on you budget, there are a few choices. The top choice are:

1. Multiplex EasyStar. Foam body and foam wing. High-payload capactiy. Hollow cockpit to place elecronic. Rudder, Elevator and motor control. Motor mounted away from nose thus less lily to get damaged. Do not need landing gear. $80

2. GWS Slow-stick. Foam wing, aluminium channel body, extreme payload capacity. Classic fron mounted motor. Rudder, Elevator and motor control. $40.

These are some comon model you can find easily in any hobby shop. Good luck.

Ronald
rkhoo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
DKNguyen

Also, do you know if it is possible to detect a thermal using thermopiles to measure ground temperature (if that's even possible with a thermopile at that range)? I don't need anyhting near perfect just anything to increase the chances since they are being used as horizon sensors already.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
DKNguyen

Oops. Looks like a double post. So I'll just stick another question here.

I hadn't planned on using the motor at the start. But I'd rather it be "motor-capable" becuase I would definately use it later on once things got established.

Really? The Slow stick? It looks so tiny. I was thinking I needed a 2+ meter wingspan type model to carry my payload. Since it's going to be some batteries and at least 3 (let's say larger than what you would expect) circuit boards and a pitot tube. You just strap everything onto the rod frame? What happens to that stuff in a crash?

What wing loading do you recommend for a sailplane?

I actually had a motor in mind because the motor controller I was building was sized to a similar sized motor:
http://www.allerc.com/g22all.htm
But...too big? THat's sort of the reason I was having trouble finding an easy to repair foam frame and wings that were large enough.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in