Airtronics SD-5 SD-6 and SD-10G radio help forum - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136
Re: Airtronics SD-5 SD-6 and SD-10G radio help forum

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Like I said Airtronics make a great radio if you are still using yours after 20 years... WOW..! I have moved on to the SD-10G and what a radio. Non-users won't even look at it as they don't and can't believe that a system can be produced like that for the money... Some of that crowd are going out and spending $799 for a radio that does the same thing and still not as dependable and glitch free ! Man, for the extra 300-375 you sure can by a lotta 2.4 receivers. Oh well , their dollars.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
Nick Milligan
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nick Milligan

Total Props: 14

Thank you Dennis for the programing tutorials!

Unfortunately the 4 aileron mix is good only to 100% ATV.

The mixing for the Giant scale 3D models is a little more interesting as it is set in glider mode, 4 ailerons work in unison to 150% but the elevator must be "Y"ed.Also the throttle curve and trim are effected.

Good thing I still have my DX7... I wouldn't trust my vapor to anything else.
Nick Milligan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Nick Milligan
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nick Milligan

Total Props: 14

Here are a bunch more useful items from Dennis... and Jack R. Albrecht
Thanks again!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SD-10G Guide - 3-Position Flaperons with Flight Mode Switch, Elevator Compensation and Delay.pdf (17.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: pdf SD-10G Guide - 3-Position Flaperons-1.pdf (11.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: pdf SD-10G Guide - Adjustable Twin Throttles with Rudder to Throttle Steering.pdf (14.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: pdf SD-10G Guide - Dual Ailerons for Biplanes with Flaperon on Lower Wing Only.pdf (13.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: pdf SD-10G Guide - Ducted Fan Thrust Vectoring.pdf (15.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: pdf SD-10G Guide - Elevator Compensation at Low Throttle-1.pdf (10.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: pdf SD-10G Guide - Four Flight Modes for Ultra Stick with Dual Ailerons and Flaps.pdf (25.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: pdf SD-10G Guide - Proportional Flaperons with Slider.pdf (10.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: pdf SD-10G Guide - Switch Operated Tailerons and 3-Position Flaperons.pdf (15.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: pdf SD-10G Guide - Timer Controlled By Stick.pdf (13.8 KB, 116 views)
Nick Milligan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Very good links , Nick. I did get one on the throttle stick to control the timer , that I found to be a little more direct and to the point that I liked better in another Airtronics forum. Thanks.
All the input that we can get is great.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
Thunder Chicken
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 18

Very good reading!
I love my SD-10G radio. Although it has way more capabilities than an average sport pilot needs, it has all the options you will ever need. And it has been totally glitch free!
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
Very good reading!
I love my SD-10G radio. Although it has way more capabilities than an average sport pilot needs, it has all the options you will ever need. And it has been totally glitch free!
Couple of questions :
1) Did you get the 7 or the 10 channel receiver version?
2) What radio system did you switch from ?
3) Why did you select the SD-1oG ?

I am not surprised with your first comment. I to, class myself as a sport flyer but prefer twins. The features will grow on you if you use some of the more common ones. I am going into the 3rd year with mine and can't do without it . I use it from everything from my 3 channel Sig Rascal to my 9 channel Twin Otter. I just finished setting up my timer onto my throttle stick as I kept forgetting to trigger the start until well into the flight.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
Thunder Chicken
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 18

Hi Len,
I had a JR 8103 and a Hitec Prisim 7x.
I went with the Atx because I liked my old Vanguard radio, had no problems with it in all the years. Even all the abuse it took, it kept on ticking. Also because of hearing the few negative stories with spketrum.....
Mine came with 2 10ch rx's. I have also bought a bunch of the 7ch. The consensus is you have to use digital servos with the new 10ch rx's, because they are so fast and high resolution, however I am using old airtronics 94102 standard servos just fine. Other analogue servos would buzz and jitter trying to find center.
I can't wait to get my Twotter built to take advantage of the relatively easy programming! The only downfall to this system, I can't seem to get off my wallet to buy park flyer rx's for indoor foamie flying.......
I'll also throw in a good word to the distributor, Peter Hill in Ontario. I believe he is on the boards here. Great guy to deal with and you are keeping business in Canada!
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Hi Len,
I went with the Atx because I liked my old Vanguard radio, had no problems with it in all the years. Even all the abuse it took, it kept on ticking. Also because of hearing the few negative stories with spketrum.....
Mine came with 2 10ch rx's. I have also bought a bunch of the 7ch. The consensus is you have to use digital servos with the new 10ch rx's, because they are so fast and high resolution, however I am using old airtronics 94102 standard servos just fine. Other analogue servos would buzz and jitter trying to find center.
I can't wait to get my Twotter built to take advantage of the relatively easy programming! The only downfall to this system, I can't seem to get off my wallet to buy park flyer rx's for indoor foamie flying.......
I'll also throw in a good word to the distributor, Peter Hill in Ontario. I believe he is on the boards here. Great guy to deal with and you are keeping business in Canada!
Hi Nathan:
Thanks for the reply and your words echo the feelings of a lot of other users of Airtronics(ATX) . So many people buy without even getting a real feel of electronic components out there and I am refering to things like ESC's , Brushless motors and chargers just to name a few. Some users are of the old "bick" philosophy ... "when it breaks, throw it out and buy again" rather than look a more quality stuff. In the end the money gets spent anyways; without the trouble.
Back to the SD-10G.... all the ATX analogue servos I have tried on FHSS-3 receivers seem to work just fine even the old tried and true 102 servos.
Haven't tried any Futaba servos as I sold mine off when I switched to digitals. Once I tried them , I was hooked with the higher power and the centering.
Again so many people jump to Hitec ( a lot having used them before) digitals without even looking at the Airtronics digitals which are very price competitive. Not sure of the pricing but another excellent servo is the Hyperion line which I believe may be made in the same factory as Airtronics(ATX) . I recall reading not that lone ago where a fella had plugged in a Hyperion servo programmer and it identified the Airtronics servo right on but would not allow it to program. I guess the ATX chip wasn't setup for that.

Wanting to get into the 2.4 era I bought the RDS8000 system with two 8 ch receivers for a great price; as it had very close programming to the older 72mhz so it was just getting used to the long antenna not swinging out the top as I found the balance to be slightly different. Got used to that very quickly. When I heard about all the plus's that the SD-10G had and eaze of programming and setup. I bought one and was hooked. I believe that a lot of users of other brand systems "just couldn't believe that the SD-10G could be that advanced ". and as a result just overlooked.

Yes the Spektrum line is still hardware and software trouble prone so much in fact that JR has already started to swing away from the same transmitting platform.

Thanks for your comments.
Len
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
Slats!
RCC Contributor

I am: Slats

Total Props: 6

DO NOT USE THE MIX FIX FOR THE 4 AIL DUAL RUDDER. The only way to use this radio effectively on a 35% aircraft with dual Ail and Rudder is with a Smart Fly/Duralite or match boxes.

I went all through this and ATX is turning a blind eye, people at the company have even expressed the desire to get this fixed but its almost been a year and they have done nothing. If you are gonna sell a 50$ USB cable for upgrades then fix some standard everday programming.

What is the issue, well you loose all mixing capabilities with anything attached to these mixes such as a simple knife edge adjustment, the servos will bind. You also will not get the throws you are looking for because one of the servos in the mix will not let you set appropriate end points.

Go ahead and hit your snap button and you will find out LOL. DON’T do this with the surfaces attached
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis 9412 View Post
Hey Nick,

Here's a bunch of mixes for you. Have a look through them There's one in there for 2 aileron servos per wing. Will that work for you?

Regards,

Dennis

Last edited by Slats!; 09-17-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Slats! is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Hi Len,
Receivers and servos sometimes go on sale in the winter as things slow down. When you need an extra 2.4 receiver ; give me a shout As I have some new 8 and 10 channel ones. Don't have any park flyers at the moment though.

Last edited by stegl; 09-24-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in