H9 33% Edge rudder not smooth - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237
Re: H9 33% Edge rudder not smooth

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
you may want to try a standard batt & try as a test to plug the servo straight in to the reciever & bypass the eq6 to see what happens if it is the same I would have to say its normal ,I don't really know what you mean by racheting,are you saying the servo moves in small steps ,because all servos have a given number of steps ,and the trick to make them move smooth is to use the greatest servo movement possible to obtain the disired controll surface movement.you can also increase the movenent of the servo with the programer (180degree on some)and further shorten the servo arm ,more steps same distance=better resolution.

Roger

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #12
HeavyD
RCC Contributor

I am: Damon C
Radio of choice:
JR 10x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0

How about the length of the servo arm from center to the controling point compaired to the length of the rudder horn from center of the rudder to the controling point. It might be binding if the measurments are different. I know on mine the inside wire is a little looser then the outside when at full deflection, if the servo arm is longer then the rudder control horns it will travel farther and the inside wire will bind.
MAAC 55825
HeavyD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
BigJohn
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: john g
Radio of choice:
Spektrum dx8

Total Props: 4

Thanks Roger thats whats happening here on this plane is the control is such a large surface I'm seeing it move were I'm not use to working on items of this size.The servo works fine its only when I have it on a large surface do I see it show up.I put the rudder servo(7955) in the elevator as I had removed the elevator servo(7985)and didn't see it move like it does when its on the rudder.I guess its just such a large surface that it's showing up,not alot but something I don't recall seeing before.Do you have this on your larger planes Roger even after you setup the controls or can it be completely removed through the linkage setup.As I said its not bad but its something I don't recall as well I'm kinda new to digital servos and maybe am finding something thats not uncommon for larger aerobatic type planes.Will try what you recomend Roger through the linkage and see what happens if that helps with the setup.John

Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
BigJohn
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: john g
Radio of choice:
Spektrum dx8

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
How about the length of the servo arm from center to the controling point compaired to the length of the rudder horn from center of the rudder to the controling point. It might be binding if the measurments are different. I know on mine the inside wire is a little looser then the outside when at full deflection, if the servo arm is longer then the rudder control horns it will travel farther and the inside wire will bind.
I'm not on a pull/pull setup but a pushrod and its setup to what is called out for in the manual.John
Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #15
HeavyD
RCC Contributor

I am: Damon C
Radio of choice:
JR 10x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0

Well then I'm just along for the ride on this one then.
MAAC 55825
HeavyD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #16
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Thanks Roger thats whats happening here on this plane is the control is such a large surface I'm seeing it move were I'm not use to working on items of this size.The servo works fine its only when I have it on a large surface do I see it show up.I put the rudder servo(7955) in the elevator as I had removed the elevator servo(7985)and didn't see it move like it does when its on the rudder.I guess its just such a large surface that it's showing up,not alot but something I don't recall seeing before.Do you have this on your larger planes Roger even after you setup the controls or can it be completely removed through the linkage setup.As I said its not bad but its something I don't recall as well I'm kinda new to digital servos and maybe am finding something thats not uncommon for larger aerobatic type planes.Will try what you recomend Roger through the linkage and see what happens if that helps with the setup.John
john you can never get rid completly this motion as the servo moves in steps ,and yes to some degree mine do it also, but I do take all mesures possible to limit this mechanically.just give the servo as mutch mechanical advantage as you can & get the movement needed from extending the radio & servo travel .if you figure as a example a servo had 10 steps and you used 1/2 the throw the surface would only have 5 positions.this is why it is most important to use as mutch servo travel as possible.
step 1 set radio to 130% this leaves some for adjustment
step 2 increase servo throw with programer to the greatest the plane will alow
step 3 install a servo arm setup that will give you the max disired deflection .
some playing around will be nessary between 2&3 to get the setup right .
just remember to get that servo to move as far as possible to do the job .

Roger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in