switch - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:57 AM   #1
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
switch

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Maybe in my ignorance I have missed it. None of the systems I have seen have a switch that disconnects the battery from the rest of the electrical system in an airplane. Most seem to rely on unplugging the battery. Is this correct?

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:35 AM   #2
Credence

Yep, that about sums it up.

Switches are always good to avoid if you can, they're just another thing inline to fail.

Failing mechanical switches are one of the biggest causes of "lockout" crashes from what i've seen.
Credence is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
rcpilot
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Maqsood

Yes, that is correct. Mostly because, it adds weight and also since the current draw is high, if the switch is not upto the task, its another thing that can fail.

However, micro switch can be added in a small plane where the current draw is not that high.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXS...hYlGsXmhcYNn9g
rcpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
Ed Smith

Thanks for the answers.

No switch is something I will have to get used to. Every RC plane I have ever owned had a switch. So the regular on/off switch that comes with a radio system would be a bad choice, correct?

Ed S
Old 02-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
STO
RCC Apprentice

I am: Stuart O
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG
# of RCs: 15

Hey Ed. I believe the main reason for not going with a switch as we have in our trusty glow planes is that, and this is particularly directed at lipos, the batteries are not kept in the plane after use. With BEC features on ESCs there is no need or reduced need to have a flight battery to power the receiver etc.

Since the batteries are not charged in the plane there really is no need for a on off switch.

By the by I have an Eflite 25 size J3 Cub that I plan on flying at the field this year if I can get the rest of the gear I need....as you are no doubt discovering electrics at the outset are fairly expensive. Though I did get two Appogee 2500Mah 3s lipos from Zebra hobbies for the price of one so that was sweet.

Best of luck on your electric project and see you at the next meeting, Old Son....
Old 02-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
tommy321
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Tom Hastie
Radio of choice:
Anything 72MHz
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Smith
Thanks for the answers.

No switch is something I will have to get used to. Every RC plane I have ever owned had a switch. So the regular on/off switch that comes with a radio system would be a bad choice, correct?

Ed S
Yes... I'd be leary of using the standard Receiver switches for anything more than roughly 5amps.

Most speed controls have separate battery connections from the like that goes to the throttle channel on your receiver. So even if you installed a switch to your receiver (depending on how you've hooked up the system) you could be still powering your speed control and motor but not the receiver.

There are ways of hooking up kill switches for savety on larger electrics where the batteries may not be quickly accessible, but most of us actually used shorted connectors to do this since switches for these currents are really heavy.

Tom
tommy321 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
Ed Smith

Quote:
....as you are no doubt discovering electrics at the outset are fairly expensive.
That is right. And I thought Pylon Racing was expensive!

Ed S
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in