Mosquito airfoil - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
RCC Plans Exchange This is a place for RCC members to exchange plans that they own (they have drawn). Please note that commercial plans will not be allowed. If you do not have the rights to post the plans, do not post them.
Plans should be updated in DXF format or zipped to decrease the size.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
wellss
RCC Apprentice

I am: Wells S
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Mosquito airfoil

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've constructed this airfoil. I don't know if it is accurate, since I haven't been able to find anything definitive. However, I've reversed engineered it based on what I could find. My research is here,

http://wellssullivan.blogspot.ca/201...g-section.html

To summarize, it's a 1% camber, reflexed airfoil, 14% in thickness with the thickest point at 36-37%. Feel free to use it, either on a Mosquito or something else and let me know how it goes! RCC won't accept dxf files?? You can get it here,

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...D7AB8871%21169
wellss is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18
Re: Mosquito airfoil

I have designed and used a very similar airfoil on quit a few aircraft. The slow speed qualities is excellent, as in as the speed slows down the stall slowly creeps forward from the back giving a gentle reduction in in lift as you slow down. The angle the air crashes together at the back causes a fairly large wake and as you drive it faster it becomes worse. With moderate RPM's on your engines and 4-5 or 6 pitch propellers it is excellent and maneuvers are great. The wing I used was straight and I made the last three inches on the bottom trailing edge flat which allowed me to build the wing straight while still attached to the table. With the Mosquito I would suggest that you do it with the top trailing edge and build the wing upside down. This will build in some washout making it more stable. Pin a couple of blocks to the leading edge to keep it straight and sheet the entire bottom while still on the table. You will find it is fairly ridged after the glue dries. I usually pin it back to the table being careful to maintain the twist with block under the trailing edge spar, then sheet the top of the wing. Do not forget to install all the linkages and wires first.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

The airfoil I am referring to is the one in the first link.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
kcaldwel
RCC Contributor

I am: Kevin C.

Total Props: 6

For what it's worth, David Lednicer's "Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage" list the RAF 43 mod as the Mosquito airfoil;

http://aerospace.illinois.edu/m-selig/ads/aircraft.html

Th coordinates for the RAF 34 are available here:

http://aerospace.illinois.edu/m-seli...atabase.html#R

I'm not sure what the modifications where.

I imagine they used the slightly reflexed, low Cm airfoil to reduce the torsion load on the wing structure at high speed.

I've attached the gif file and the dat file. I renamed the dat file to a .pdf to upload it here. Just change the suffix from .pdf to .dat to return it to a dat file for use with most airfoil plotting and analysis programs.

Kevin

Edit: Added polars of the RAF 34 from Re = 50k to 500k. The airfoil has a very mellow stall, and would work reasonably well on a big model. The drag starts to increase markedly below Re = 100k. There seems to be laminar separation below Re = 100k or so. That might be a problem with the pointy tips of the Mosquito at low speeds. Perhaps thinning the airfoil to 8% at the tips would help at low Re?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raf34.gif
Views:	160
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	224868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polars of RAF 34 (type 1).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	224886  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf raf34.pdf (790 Bytes, 61 views)

Last edited by kcaldwel; 11-29-2013 at 03:33 PM.
kcaldwel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
kcaldwel
RCC Contributor

I am: Kevin C.

Total Props: 6

I stumbled across an interesting article about the RAF 34 in an old Soaring magazine:

http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/...Jul-Aug_05.pdf

http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index/...Jul-Aug_13.pdf

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
wellss
RCC Apprentice

I am: Wells S
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

The RAF34 was combined with a Piercy section, as per the "Mosquito Manual". I have not been able to find drawings or coordinates as of yet ( I've contacted museums and restorers ). Hence, my research and conclusions thereof.

P.S. Piercy was an aerodynamics professor who wrote a textbook called "Aerodynamics" in 1947, I think it was. In there, he describes how to construct the airfoil shapes. The RAF 34 is just a generalized Joukowski type, with thickest point at 1/3 chord, wrapped around a cubic mean line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mosquito_general.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	224960  
wellss is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in