Detailing a DeHavilland Beaver - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Caygeon Flyer
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Peter C

Total Props: 0
Re: Detailing a DeHavilland Beaver

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks for the encouragement!

Bobcaygeon is east of you, almost to Peterborough.

Keep an eye open for our scale meet in August. Check the websites below.

PEter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytwice View Post
Hello Cageon Flyer: AMAZING attention to detail here!! I will look very much forward to your progress with this build.
You are not taking the next step, you appear to be going several levels above normal. You might consider an anamated pilot or finding a very small dwarf!!
Joking aside, I would never have the patience to achieve these levels of perfection, I am keen on the expertise it takes, and enjoy learning the techniques and fabrication methods.
I sort of copied Mr Aerodesigns landing gear front and back on my 8 ft Unionville Turbo Beaver, big improvment over "wire" LG. Made no attempt to change aileron/flaps configuration, I will think about it now! Your pictures have given me the general layout and shapes, now they make sense.

Where is Bobcageon from Owen Sound? Our little field is 450 ft X 150', our club would love to have you here for our annual fly-in held in early June.
Will advise dates as soon as there official.
Builds like this one are the prime reason for being involved in a site like RC Canada, the planes, their builders, the hints, tips and genuine dedication to the sport is the best!!
No matter what level each person choses to build to, these build sites give us all the desire to achieve higher levels, make better airplanes.
Thank you for proceeding with this build,all will be impressed!!

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caygeon Flyer View Post
You are right Ramjet - I mistakenly divied by 4 instead of two!!!
just wanted to make sure you got the sound you were looking for ,man the way that thing looks(and it looks great ) it just has to sound right .if you don't mind me asking what is the diameter of your cowl.thanks Roger
Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
allmetalplane
RCC Apprentice

I am: Carlos Rangel

Total Props: 1
Re: Detailing a DeHavilland Beaver -part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caygeon Flyer View Post
Documentation:
In addition to the websites, museums, and visits to full scale aircraft, there are a number of good references on Beavers.
In My Library are:
• The Beaver Bushplane at home in Ontario by Henry and Linda Feisen: ISBN 0-9686597-0-5.
• The Immortal Beaver by Sean Rossiter: ISBN1-55054-519-1.
• DeHavilland in Canada by Fred W. Hotson: ISBN0-921022-10-7.
These books do not necessarily provide a lot of scale detail, but they do provide some interesting background on the aircraft.

Of more value for finding scale details, dimensions, and information are:
• Beaver DHC-2 Flight Manual
• Beaver Repair Manual
• DHC-2 Beaver Illustrated Spare Parts Catalogue
• The FAA Type Certificate - AIRCRAFT SPECIFICATION NO. A-806

The Illustrated Spare Parts Manual has cutaways and exploded views, plus all the layout dimensions of the fuselage bulkheads and wing ribs for accurate rivet placement. There are also many many sketches of all the parts and aircraft system, letting you dig up all kinds of details.
The Repair Manual has details of all the sheet metal panels and metal thicknesses for setting the panel lines accurately
These references are available on the web - for a fee.

Three-View Drawings:
Accurate three –view drawings of the Beaver are hard to find, particularly ones with panel line and other details. Bob Banka has one at Scale Model Research. http://www.bobsairdoc.com/ I believe that the original source was Aeromodeller magazine in October 1949.

I have ended up making my own three-view drawings using CAD software.
A sample of the wing drawing is attached. Panel lines are blue, Rivet lines are red. Sorry – but this work is not yet finished or available for sharing at this time.

For the “ultimate” Beaver model – have a look at http://www.mhm-scale-aircraft.com/me...p?search=DHC-2
Hi Caygeon Flier...

This is one of the best Beaver threads I have seen on Beavers, Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice detailed thread.
I am currently building a 20%scale Turbo Beaver. I would have liked to build the standard Beaver in order to give it real aluminum finish, but I would have to add way too much nose ballast which would be far heavier than building a extended fuselage. Also I love that sleek swept back fin/rudder. (I woulkd like to finish it the same as the one on the picture, Coutesy of DHC-2.com) As you do, I am using the Beaver strutural repair manual which offers a lot of good things.
The project will span 120 inches and it will have a projected weight of 35 pounds dry. ON the down side I will have to live with an exposed engine head, there is no way around then..so what. Due to its compact design I like both, the Evolution 40cc or new OS 55 gas engine which has a very small spark plug.
Please keep those details coming!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1685TB53_CF-MPA_Bernard_crop_565.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	66511  
allmetalplane is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #14
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmetalplane View Post
Hi Caygeon Flier...

This is one of the best Beaver threads I have seen on Beavers, Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice detailed thread.
I am currently building a 20%scale Turbo Beaver. I would have liked to build the standard Beaver in order to give it real aluminum finish, but I would have to add way too much nose ballast which would be far heavier than building a extended fuselage. Also I love that sleek swept back fin/rudder. (I woulkd like to finish it the same as the one on the picture, Coutesy of DHC-2.com) As you do, I am using the Beaver strutural repair manual which offers a lot of good things.
The project will span 120 inches and it will have a projected weight of 35 pounds dry. ON the down side I will have to live with an exposed engine head, there is no way around then..so what. Due to its compact design I like both, the Evolution 40cc or new OS 55 gas engine which has a very small spark plug.
Please keep those details coming!
did you sheet yours with aluminum,I have a wack of lithoplate and considered making a complete aluminum plane over a wood frame sure would look cool.Roger
Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #15
allmetalplane
RCC Apprentice

I am: Carlos Rangel

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
did you sheet yours with aluminum,I have a wack of lithoplate and considered making a complete aluminum plane over a wood frame sure would look cool.Roger
I build aluminum airplanes but I do not use litho plate. Lithoplate will work great with balsa..May be you should do that with yours. It would look cool!
allmetalplane is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #16
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmetalplane View Post
I build aluminum airplanes but I do not use litho plate. Lithoplate will work great with balsa..May be you should do that with yours. It would look cool!
Pal you have to shoot us some pictures ,I just have to see this ,sorry for the hijack.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
Caygeon Flyer
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

RE: Aluminum covering.

A friend and I have played around with using litho plate or other thin aluminum over a balsa structure. The nice bit is that you can do all the detailing e.g. rivets etc., before gluing the skin on.

Our experiments suggest that the added weight is comparable to a fibreglass and resin finish.

Gorilla glue bonds the aluminum on well, as does contact cement.

See that thread https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=97940 for the work that I did on my 1/3 Super Cub Ailerons.

Peter
Old 01-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
Caygeon Flyer
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

The cowl is not circular, but is about 9" ID at the back and about 8 1/4" ID up where the radial sits.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
just wanted to make sure you got the sound you were looking for ,man the way that thing looks(and it looks great ) it just has to sound right .if you don't mind me asking what is the diameter of your cowl.thanks Roger
Old 01-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

thank you sir .
Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #20
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

I got the litho from a old friend greame mears,lived beside him at one time .I was always a little worried about having litho over open bays as it tends to fracture with vibration,or would you use it only over balsa sheet. I was thinking of sheeting over a open frame fuse & wings ,laminating over bulsa only in stress areas(wing roots,leading & trailing edges& firewall) ???would be easily damaged though (hanger rash wise)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in