Old 06-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #101
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42
Re: Top Flite Cessna 182

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Looking VERY nice.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #102
mwavesdave

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

Thanks! We installed the remote glow plug setup last night, just have to prep and prime the two underbelly hatches for Leeann to paint, tail cone is now on. Nest will be setting up aileron and flap servos, clear-coating the wings, and installing the wing struts. When that's done, I can find a home for the wing in the RC hauler, while we finish the last bits of the fuse. Weight and balance still has us a touch tail heavy, but very close!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:36 AM   #103
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42

So you know I've put my Cessna build on hold (it's at least 80% built) to concentrate on the Lanc I'm building. After much debate & research I have settled on going with a fiberglass / resin covering & that's going well. Once that's in the priming stages I'll finish sheeting the top of the Cessna wing (after installing lighting kit) & glass all of that one too.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #104
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Like that paint job ! Leeann and Dave.... will be interesting what the total balanced aircraft will be without fuel as a comparison to my glassed and painted Cessna 182.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #105
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Well, it weighs about, oh, that much. No scales to put it on. I'm not overly concerned though, too light a wing loading, and she'll be tossed around in any breeze, too heavy isn't good either. I suspect though, the loading should be pretty close for a scale 182.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #106
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Hey Dave : You are sounding like our politicians , now ! ....... LOL
Old 06-12-2016, 04:51 AM   #107
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I've honestly never weighed any of my airplanes! lol
Old 06-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #108
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

I pretty much always like to know my weight vs the designers estimated weight with his covering. Kind of gives me an idea of using a bit more airspeed if heavier and how much; more or less. I guess you could also call it a benchmark.
Couple of years ago I bought a digital luggage scale ( up to 75 lbs) on ebay for under $10 cad , shipped. Quit accurate , actually. Under the size of a pack of cigarettes and fits in my field tool box.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:02 PM   #109
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I have a test and evaluation background, RCAF, so I tend to be pretty methodical with the maiden, and first few flights. The weight is what it is, so I need to adapt my flying to the particular aircraft. Long take off, lots of flying speed, no big turns, get safe altitude, 1/2 throttle, trim the aircraft, then start feeling it out. I stay high and close, so guaranteed a safe landing if the engine quits. Height also allows for plenty of recovery room. I check the stall characteristics in various flight regimes, flaps, gear retraction, etc, all at 3 mistakes high. We also build fairly light, and I've honestly never had much in the way of surprises with any aircraft I've built. A couple of surprises from my own dopiness, but that's usually rushing to get flying, and not the fault of the plane.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #110
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

So Len, as you asked about weight, we might have to get a scale and check it out. In spite of having 3 batteries in the nose, receiver, landing lights, and nav lights, a saito 100 up front, I was very tail heavy at the 4 inch recommended CG. It's funny that TF states 4"for the kit, but 4 5/16" for the ARF! Anyways, took 15 ounces of weight to get it bang on the 4 inch mark, nose feels pretty heavy to me, and the tail can be pushed down to about 2 inches off the deck before it wants to keep going down on it's own. I have a sneaking feeling that the plane will feel and fly nose heavy on the maiden. I've heard as well that the elevators are very sensitive, so high rates is the recommended 3/4 in throw, medium I set for 60%, and 40% for low. Thinking I'll be doing a few high speed taxi runs prior to first liftoff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in