Help!!!! my foamy caught on fire in my house - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Help!!!! my foamy caught on fire in my house

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I crashed my foamy for the 20th time. When I tried everything after the crash all the servos jittered uncontrollably. I got a new reicever but still the same thing. I put in a new crystal and plugged in my 1320 lipo to the speed control. All of a sudden the speed control burst into flames. The speed control bat connection is a jst so I know I didn't hook it up backwards and I didn't rewire anything. The wire from the speed control to the receiver was also put on correctly as it is labeled.
I am using a 1320 thunder power lipo
gws 4 channel receiver
e-flite 20 amp speed controller
Why did this happen?
I put my bat outside but it is supposed to get below freezing tonight. Will it be o.k. as I'm not to thrilled about brining it inside tonight?
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #2
Rob
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rob

If the batterie hasnt sweeled up it will be ok. if you want insurance grab a cast Iron Pot from the kitchen and put itin there. Freezeing would not be good.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

Sounds to me like you had some kind of a damage to the ESC from your habit of crashing. Like it was mentioned already if the battery has not begun to swell and it has been 45 mins to an hour since this happened I would think you are ok to bring it inside. Place it somewhere safe and watch it for the next couple of hours before you go to bed.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

I couldn't believe how voilent the fire was. This wasn't a puff of smoke. At first i thought the battery was on fire. Lucky for me I was smart enough to calmly (while swearing my head off) take the whole flaming mess outside. It could have easily started the house on fire!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:58 AM   #5
StevenHilton

Fire

Same thing happened to me with my field box the whole panel shorted and the smoke was unreal. By the time I got the 4 screws out of the face place to disconnect the battery the whole panel was melted inside.
Have no clue why this happened. I bought a new panel, painted the field box and hooked it all up with no issues.
StevenHilton is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #6
ThePeej

wow!

glad to hear your alright.
ThePeej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:08 AM   #7
ModelBuilder
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bill H
Radio of choice:
DX9 iX12 DX18
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 1
Safety Alert

Go to

http://www.rcmmagazine.com

Scroll down to Emergency Safety Alert Lithium battery fires AMA
Old 11-10-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2
Your motor could have shorted from that last crash. Could be the wires crossed or the insulation wore off a winding. This would overload the driver and cause it to fail. Whe everything went haywire, this was a warning sign.

Take it easy on the crashes.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:40 PM   #9
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

I went to my local hobby store Speedway and Hobby and he imediatly called horizon hobby. New lipo and speed control free of charge no questions asked. I would like to thank Rob from speedway and hobby. He is a great guy and has always been the first to support our club. If any of you find yourself in kelowna needing something he is your man!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech1
Your motor could have shorted from that last crash. Could be the wires crossed or the insulation wore off a winding. This would overload the driver and cause it to fail. Whe everything went haywire, this was a warning sign.

Take it easy on the crashes.
The last crash was a dead stick (cutoff) from a torque roll 3' above a parking lot. I crash all the time because I use My foamy for what I think its for. Practicing torque rolling and rolling maneuvers 1-2 feet off the ground. At this height you are -1 mistakes high.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in