Buying and Selling On-line! - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #21
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116
Re: Buying and Selling On-line!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Shipping was not carried out correctly he owes you 210.00 bucks. If insurance, 1.00 for a 100.00 and tracking # were supplied you would be out 210.00. Keep us posted Gary.

Bill

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #22
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Doesn't the seller have to also provide evidence it was shipped?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #23
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0

http://www.a5og.net/random-room/4956...onsible-2.html

Some interesting insight on the subject here.

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #24
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

I sell items on ebay I wouldn't even consider shipping something without insurance. The first $100. is free and goes up from there at a $1.00per $100.If the item is worth $125.00 it gets the free coverage once it gets over that amount I pay the extra dollar per hundred. I don't need the hassle and my ebay feedback is very important to me. If I sold something for $200. and harged the person $20. for shipping yes it is going to cost me an extra dollar for ins but the peace of mind is worth it. I just can't believe anyone wouldn't add it or pay it

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #25
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

I apologize for not replying sooner but I was away this afternoon at a doctor's appointment and haven't viewed this thread until just now.

I need to get something cleared up here my friends. This senario is just a "what if situation". I hasn't really happened to me ...knock on wood, anyways yet.

I have had some discussion about shipping and who's responsibility it is to see that a package arrives and I have gotten people adament for both sides of this issue. Some saying its the seller's responsibility and some saying that once they put the package in the mail, it's then out of their hands, even when they asked for a certain amout of $$ to ship the item and then renigged on the insurance when they were given enough to cover it.

I just wanted to get some opinions here as most of my traiding both buying and selling take place here on RCCanada.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. All deals I have made to date have come through for me with only one pending and that one has only been out for three days wherein the post office said 5 to 7 business days for delivery.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 01-23-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #26
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Maker View Post
All deals I have made to date have come through for me with only one pending and that one has only been out for three days wherein the post office said 5 to 7 business days for delivery.
This quote shortened that it is kinda made me chuckle . If you had mailed that item to say the UK and sent it by airmail or expedited they would receive it in 3 to 5 days That won't happen anywhere in North America in that time frame

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #27
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

I think the moral of the story here is that both the buyer and the seller need to be thinking about insurance when shipping an item.

As a buyer, I will specifically instruct the seller to insure an expensive item. Sometimes, I will opt out of the insurance on a low-cost item to save some money on shipping. However, I do this at my own risk.

As a seller, I follow the same rules. If I have sold something that was costly, I will ship it insured whether the buyer asks for it or not. If it is a low-cost item, I may ship uninsured (unless instructed otherwise), but knowing that I will have to replace the item or refund the money should something happen to the package along the way.

We all need to remind ourselves to stay out of the situation Gary mentioned!

Ben

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #28
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

I wish to thank everyone for taking the time to reply to this thread.

The above situation did just about happen to me awhile back wherein the package was missing for almost 3 weeks. I honestly did not ask for insurance to be put on the package but I foolishly assumed that since the seller asked for a specific amount he would just reasonably put insurance on the package.

I keep good communication with the seller and he replied quickly each time. Since insurance hadn't been specifically asked for then I felt partially responsible for the transaction and was prepared to only accept 1/2 the amount in refund.

Fortunately, the package showed up back at the sellers as he had not put the correct address on the package. It was reshipped and all is fine.

Lesson learned and your comments suggest that insurance is something that should be clearly stated when making any transaction. This is something I will never take for granted OR assume again and will make sure that either the correct insurance is put on the package by the seller or no deal.

I have sent many packages to friends here on RCC and I for my part as the seller always make sure it is insurred as I feel that once I receive the funds, I am obligated to make sure the buyer gets what he paid for or receives a full refund. But apparently not all sellers feel the same way. So from now on I will make sure I pay enough for the shipping to include insurance and make sure the seller will agree to putting insurance on the package. And I will have it in writing to varify my request should things go wrong.

Thank you all so much again. I hope that this info will also help others to avoid needless problems in this regard as it has me.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Old 01-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #29
scott H
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: scott h

good thread gary you need to go to the doctors more often lol. had me feeling sorry for you all day.
scott H is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #30
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott H View Post
good thread gary you need to go to the doctors more often lol. had me feeling sorry for you all day.
Thank you my friend. Geez, even my wife doesn't feel sorry for me!

I do apologize, I guess I should have clarified that it was just a senario at the beginning.

I really do appreciate the info and feedback in this thread. I guess I am very fortunate that I have never to date had a transaction go bad or lost anything whether coming or going.

I am also happy to have the info on the mutual agreeing about insurance. I had never really thought much about it until it almost became a real issue with me. But I find that if you keep a cool head and a calm heart, communicate with the other party, and be reasonable, things can mostly be worked out without things turning real nasty.

And for me, giving a negative feedback is always a very last resort. That sort of thing causes a permanent stain on one's record. Best to always put the effort in coming to a realistic agreement and walking away friends....if at all possible! Its a hobby, not worth making it a life and death, Earth shattering catastrophy, for the sake of a few dollars. But following the good advice offered here should help in being able to avoid problems in the first place. Thanks my friends.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in