What to do - Someone selling RC lessons - Page 15 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #141
Arn
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Arn H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16
Re: What to do - Someone selling RC lessons

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The first MAAC response ...... I'm assuming the IAGC is Larry Rousselle since he was CC'd in this ... predictable response .... but hopefully the question is moving closer to the individual that can answer it.

Arn,

I am copying your email and this response to our Insurance Advisory Group Chairman for response.

Linda Patrick

Sec./Treas.

.... later
Arn is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #142
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Jeff G
Radio of choice:
X20s or anything FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 81

Well as a new comer to this hobby I can tell you that tring to learn to fly is not that easy.. Since joining a club that promised lots of help.. " oh yea no problem there is always someone around " right.. since last June.. I have got about 1 hour of time in the air for the the 130 bucks it cost me not including maac... it averaged out to about 15 or 20 minutes once a week.. and every other club I have contacted has basically said the same thing... THEY DO NOT HAVE A DEDICATED TRAINING PROGRAM.. it is just pay your money and show up... take your chances.. NOT A WONDER NEW COMERS GET FRUSTRATED AND QUIT.... If I didn't have so much money invested in this now I would likely quit to...
The Cat is Back !

The two stupidest answers in the world are !!

JUST BECAUSE and
THAT IS THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT.
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #143
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky View Post
Well as a new comer to this hobby I can tell you that tring to learn to fly is not that easy.. Since joining a club that promised lots of help.. " oh yea no problem there is always someone around " right.. since last June.. I have got about 1 hour of time in the air for the the 130 bucks it cost me not including maac... it averaged out to about 15 or 20 minutes once a week.. and every other club I have contacted has basically said the same thing... THEY DO NOT HAVE A DEDICATED TRAINING PROGRAM.. it is just pay your money and show up... take your chances.. NOT A WONDER NEW COMERS GET FRUSTRATED AND QUIT.... If I didn't have so much money invested in this now I would likely quit to...
What a shame they do not have a good flight school. Our club in Ottawa has a specific night that is flight school only for about four hours and there are often 6 or 8 instructors. Your experience takes me back to many earlier experiences at other clubs though.
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #144
mryehr
RCC Apprentice

I am: clarence r

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky View Post
Unfortunately, there is nothing MAAC no anyone can do to change things for the better. After all, all MAAC can do is simply suggest that members put more of an effort to help newcomers learn to fly.

Many times I've asked aero modelers what do they consider the reason for slow growth in our hobby/sport? I get every reason under the sun, but the most logical and basic reason: A serious lack of readily available and competant flight instructors. No matter how much written proof I present, too many are unable to accept such a logical concept.

I know there are some who desperately wishes to end this conversation, but without growth in our great hobby/sport, there is a big chance that we will all lose in the end, which may not be too far in the future.

mryehr
mryehr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #145
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Jeff G
Radio of choice:
X20s or anything FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 81

Well MRYEHR hit the nail on the head... when he said that we will all lose in the end because if there is not an influx of new younger people... then there will be no sales of aircraft or parts and the manufactures will stop making kits and ARF's etc.. and the hobby will go back to the begining where anyone wanting to model will have to scratch build... but then where do you get the engines and hardware to run the dam thing.. Have you looked around your field lately.. to notice the general age group... bet that it is mostly over 50...
The Cat is Back !

The two stupidest answers in the world are !!

JUST BECAUSE and
THAT IS THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT.
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #146
Arn
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7

Well I have not yet received a response from MAAC .... ( see post #131 ) ... but it's only been 4 days ..... I have been able to find a document on the MAAC website that may be the details of the insurance coverage ..... 77 pages of it .... and a general browsing has shown that there is nothing said about limiting liability coverage in the case of a pay for learning scenario ..... it would appear on the surface that ..... as long as the student & "instructor" & the location ie: club field are MAAC members and they are following MAAC guidlines ..... fly on ....

MAAC is not a policing or enforcement agency .... for this topic of discussion they are the org. that has arranged insurance coverage ( basically PL & PD ) for its members .... as long as the operation of model aircraft is done in accordance with the insurance carrier requirements.

A lot of work has been done to get where we are today .... the relationship with the AMA, Transport Canada & Nav Canada ....

Would a pay for instruction plan work ..... for some clubs operating on a fine line ... maybe .... a few posts have been made in favour of the activity .... but the question about ... does pay for instruction affect liability coverage ??? .... needs to be answered first .... by MAAC .... I'll give Larry a few days more ....
Old 11-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #147
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 46

I guess it boils down to "does it become a commercial activity if you charge for teaching or not?" I understand that MAAC insurance is void for commercial activities.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:27 AM   #148
mryehr
RCC Apprentice

I am: clarence r

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceenut View Post
I guess it boils down to "does it become a commercial activity if you charge for teaching or not?" I understand that MAAC insurance is void for commercial activities.
Legal insurance questions aside, who would be for paid instruction?

1. Beginners who are desperate for instruction.
2. Clubs would have safer fliers and more members.
3. RC aero modeling industry and hobby shop owners would have more customers and more and quicker return business.
4. MAAC would also have safer fliers and more members.
5. Volunteer instructors would have less of a teaching load.

Who would be against paid instruction?

1. Those who fear overcrowded flight lines.
2. Those who simply are against change.
3. Egotistical club instructors

mryehr
mryehr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #149
RCcanuck
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John M
Radio of choice:
ix12,DX9
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 14

I want my money back Rotormonkey for those lessons you gave me!
RCcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #150
Arn
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceenut View Post
"You understand" ... could you fortify your coment with some factual information .....

This is part if the problem .... there are many that also understand, have an opinion, have heard .... but nothing confirmed.

I'm browsing a "COMMERCIAL GENERAL LIABILITY POLICY" issued by Arch Insurace (Canada) effective for 2011 where "Model Aeronautics Association of Canada" is named the insured ..... and have found nothing stated in english that shows any effect on covereage for any activity paid or otherwise ....

as Clarence states ..... there are positive reasons for the activity ..... and many others have been listed earlier ....

.... later

Last edited by Arn; 11-09-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in