How to cut cranked delta foam wing with complex curves and anhedrial? - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #31
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scratch Builder Sam
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 14
Re: How to cut cranked delta foam wing with complex curves and anhedrial?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypaper View Post
Sam: I wouldn't throw out the pink or blue insulation foam. It's only a bit heavier than the Styrofoam but much nicer to work with, cuts cleaner etc. On the bigger planes it wouldn't make much difference. Besides a pink Concord might be cool Electric sewing machine control or Dremel power supply would work if it's beyond repair by Moo.
Gord,

Presently i don't have high density colored foams on me, if i did, then yup i would have used it also. You are right that with big planes it really dosen't make much of difference with extra weight of foam, but you don't know or may have forgotten is that, this is just an experiment only, in other words "prove of concept" to be able to get double complex curves with hotwire cutter on a cranked delta wing aircraft. Weight would matter in my case though it's BIG 1:14 scale model, it's going to be powered by 4x 70mm EDFs with Velocity 2956 motors!, so yeah i want it as light as my design permits
me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo;
Now I'm never going to learn why you would need to bend the foam before hot----- cutting. I can understand bending it the wrong way in a mold before cutting, that was a clear article, I could understand the mathematics of bending it after cutting, but I do not see the difference between pre-bending and using thicker foam other than the win is pre-stressed and prone to internal delamination.

Please explain.

Moo, Thanks for your offer to check my hotwire cutter, i am not allowed to drive officially by my Dr, and even though if he does allow me to drive, your place is bit far for me due to caution of not getting blood clot in my legs due to time and distance. If someone closer to me would offer to check my hotwire, i will be more willing to get him to check it due to closer distance. Thanks once again for your offer.

2nd, as i said to Gord, this is an experiment i'm going here, it will not fly!. When i started doing this experiment it was hard to get handle over something like this complex, it was later in evening few hours after talking to Gord i came up with plan to use layer technique and i had few 3/4" scrap sheets of white foam that i could use, so i did and honestly, when i was about to laminate them together, i came up with this idea to see if i could use pre-bend technique for this application, i made sense and hey why not, let's try worst to worse, it will fail, ok no biggie as it's not going to fly anyways, so that when i placed weights in certain ways to see if this will actually help and it did, so i laminated the sheets pre-bent. No there is no stress on these at all.

It also almost bite me after lamination as to how i'm going to cut it!. Since my 2 bows are small 30" long only, that is when i came up with plan to section these span wise for easy cutting. Made my templates afterwards and here we are now. I could have finished it last nite but cutter acted up, anyway to be continued.....

Last edited by Struts1; 04-25-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Struts1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #32
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheins View Post
Struts1.. thanks for continuing to post! This is an interesting and informative thread. Keep us posted!

Bernie
Thanks Bernie, i'm glad that you are seeing it and also are enjoying this experiment.

To be continued once i find out and fix my hot wire cutter's problem....
Old 04-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #33
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struts1 View Post
If someone closer to me would offer to check my hotwire, i will be more willing to get him to check it due to closer distance. Thanks once again for your offer.
I'll let you know if I'm in Mississauga this week, maybe going to Rona at Dundas & Cawthra and a little bit further wouldn't hurt.

I'm thinking about starting a repair service, but my daughter's doctors, my club and house hunting have kept me busy.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #34
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

As you say Sam, half the fun is in the experimenting. I have a 9 ft wingspan FW 190 D9 out in the garage, only need paint to finish. Had to fit in my van so I measured the width of the van rear door as a little over 4 ft. I made the centre section of the wing at 4 ft. so I could put in the van attached to the fuse. and on its wheels. The retracts are made from electric screwdriver guts driving screwjacks. Legs are carbon fibre tubes with proper scale scissors and springs on the bottom. It's a relatively thin wing so I used front wheels from a wheelchair. Hope the old lady next door doesn't miss them. Outer wing panels plug in. Another is a Reno racer Sea Fury a buddy and I built with some help from a few other guys and a set of drawings. The wing is pink foam covered with 3 layers of Carbon fibre. Centre section is covered 1/3 of the span. Second 2/3 of the span and of course 3rd layer full span. Just for a strength test we set it up between two chairs and had two full grown people stand on it, not lightweights like me either. Bent about 1/2 an in. This was about 10 or 15 yrs ago when they were supposed to have a race in Quebec but cancelled about a month before it was to take place Don't know why, maybe not enough entrants. Weighed 65 lbs with a Quadra 200 racing engine up front of 24 horse. 24-24 prop if I remember right. Tuned pipe went through the fuse and exited under the fuse just behind the wing. Built for 200 +mph. Flew it probably half a dozen flights on it but plagued with mechanical and electronic problems. I'm sure 2.4 Spektrum would have fixed the electronic problems.My flying buddy has a pic of standing on it so I see if he will send it to me.
Sorry for the longwindedness.
Keep up the good work Sam
Gord.

Last edited by Flypaper; 04-25-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #35
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18

Getting back to experiment i am in between now days, well don't ask how or what happened but good thing is my hotwire cutter started to work again and i took the advantage to cut all my 3 wing sections. I think next time i will cut from tip to root as LE didn't turned out the greatest but good for this experiment.

After glue is cured, i will cut the reflex on the aft to TE of the wing and will make wing's very front piece with pointed end as beginning of platefoil is.

1- Picture is showing wing cores are cut, this is why i pre-bent the foam sheets at layering time to get the anhedrial curve i was.

2- Pictures is showing wing from top after cutting the cores.

3- Pictures is showing front of the wing, you can see how wing is changing its shape from front to back if you look closely at LE.

4- Pictures is showing some of the miss-perfection core scraps, these are when wire got lifted from the templates and i had to re cut high areas again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 573.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	75960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 574.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	75961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 575.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	75962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 577.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	75963  

Old 04-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #36
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypaper View Post
As you say Sam, half the fun is in the experimenting. I have a 9 ft wingspan FW 190 D9 out in the garage, only need paint to finish. Had to fit in my van so I measured the width of the van rear door as a little over 4 ft. I made the centre section of the wing at 4 ft. so I could put in the van attached to the fuse. and on its wheels. The retracts are made from electric screwdriver guts driving screwjacks. Legs are carbon fibre tubes with proper scale scissors and springs on the bottom. It's a relatively thin wing so I used front wheels from a wheelchair. Hope the old lady next door doesn't miss them. Outer wing panels plug in. Another is a Reno racer Sea Fury a buddy and I built with some help from a few other guys and a set of drawings. The wing is pink foam covered with 3 layers of Carbon fibre. Centre section is covered 1/3 of the span. Second 2/3 of the span and of course 3rd layer full span. Just for a strength test we set it up between two chairs and had two full grown people stand on it, not lightweights like me either. Bent about 1/2 an in. This was about 10 or 15 yrs ago when they were supposed to have a race in Quebec but cancelled about a month before it was to take place Don't know why, maybe not enough entrants. Weighed 65 lbs with a Quadra 200 racing engine up front of 24 horse. 24-24 prop if I remember right. Tuned pipe went through the fuse and exited under the fuse just behind the wing. Built for 200 +mph. Flew it probably half a dozen flights on it but plagued with mechanical and electronic problems. I'm sure 2.4 Spektrum would have fixed the electronic problems.My flying buddy has a pic of standing on it so I see if he will send it to me.
Sorry for the longwindedness.
Keep up the good work Sam
Gord.
Wow, those are nice planes you got there specially Reno Seafury!, i someday will do Seafury also, i do have large scale plans for it. Do you need waiver form Maac to fly your Seafury being that huge!!....
Personally i hate typing so much but then what else can you when you need to explain details online to others...As you can tell this is not build thread here, it's a thread i asked this question and now once this experiment completes, that will be end of it, as i did get partial answer by asking and rest myself. Yup experimenting and scratch building is fun and it keep you thinking and occupied also, plus if you start from designing to flying stage of your creation/s, it's just unbelievable feeling and very rewarding also. I can't wait to get my Connie flying, i tell ya!!!.

5th- Picture is showing another top view, i fond some areas didn't laminated good enough, so i re-glues those areas and taped them, they are curing now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 578.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	75964  

Last edited by Struts1; 04-26-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #37
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18

It's almost done....

Well this is all possible to do with hot wire cutter, here are latest pics from last post till now, so you can see where i was...lol

Next set of pictures will be of complete experiment, most likely tomorrow.
Front tip piece is also laminated now and is curing.

I'm posting these pictures for guys to see and if anyone can't understand what i did, post ur question/s and i will try to answer them....

If you look closely at last section's tip, you will see 2 degrees of droop on the LE. First 2 pictures are clearly showing this LE droop.

Basically at this point experiment had finished but i'm taking it couple more miles to show how i achieved reflex on the aft section.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 579.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	75974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 580.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	75975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 581.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	75976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 582.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	75977  

Last edited by Struts1; 04-26-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #38
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18

Few more pictures...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 583.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	75978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 584.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	75979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 585.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	75980  
Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #39
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18

Last 2 pictures for tonite....

You can see how thin TE ended up to be, it's only 3/8" thick, if i were making this wing for real to be used, i would add balsa 3/8" x 2" x 3' triangular trailing edge strip to finish it off.

In last picture if you look closely at the OB tip section, you can see tip's LE droop also visible from looking at wing's bottom form this angle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 586.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	75981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 587.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	75982  
Old 04-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #40
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

Hi Sam: Don't need a waiver on anything under 70lbs, the weight limit in Canada. We're lucky, in the States it's 55 lbs if I remember right.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in