Carden PRO Built by Lee - Page 16 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #151
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
Re: Carden PRO Built by Lee

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Coming live from Hannon...the wings are in the bags..woohoo
Ted was great and everything went smoothly...Trev I think you should go this way as it is clean , fast and you don't need hundreds of pounds of cinder blocks lying around! With ted's setup, and the large bags you could sheet both top and bottom decks in one, and all the other stuff in another, and the wings in a third and fourth all in one night.
Anyway I'll post pics when I get home Sunday. Visited the warplane museum today while waiting around this afternoon, lots of awesome planes being restored...what history!
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #152
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEE View Post
Ted was great and everything went smoothly...Trev I think you should go this way as it is clean , fast and you don't need hundreds of pounds of cinder blocks lying around! With ted's setup, and the large bags you could sheet both top and bottom decks in one, and all the other stuff in another, and the wings in a third and fourth all in one night.
Anyway I'll post pics when I get home Sunday. Visited the warplane museum today while waiting around this afternoon, lots of awesome planes being restored...what history!

Very Cool Lee!! We need to do a little debreif!! - I'm really interested to get all the details!!

Cheers

Trev
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #153
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Lee,
How many atmosphere's ( i think thats the correct term ) was Teb pulling for the bagging process ?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #154
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62

LEE - even better - can you take a little time and document it all??? Vacuum pressure, layup process, application of glue, bagging set-up, materials used, equipment used, etc, etc????

Would be awesome documentation in here

T
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #155
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis 9412 View Post
Hey Bryon:

Lee's going to do this:

http://www.azurehobbies.com/product_...products_id=51

It requires a wide footprint.

Regards,

Dennis
Quote:
Exactly! These will be buried under the sheeting so when I am ready, I will cut out the 1/16 balsa sheeting and replace with same thickness ply prior to mounting the horns. Also because I'm going with a single servo in this wing, the servo mount is extra beefy. I will place other servo mounts just inboard of these in case I find I need more power due to blowback but they will remain hidden unless needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCUb View Post
Lee, its looking great. Those look like the aeroworks horns that come with the arfs?

I like those alot better than the single rod. Never broken one of those before
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdegan View Post
Hi guys,
I am using those same aluminum horns on the elevators and rudder of the big ultimate.
I will be using the supplied fiberglass arms on the ailerons because they don't need to be that big
Seriously?

How are the horns beeing fastened to the plywood mounts, wood screws?

Kevin you think that is stronger then a 8-32 or 10-32 socket head bolt> ALL that are holding the horns on are wood srews in plywood. Now if a 1/8 plywood plate was inset in the aileron on the opposite side and 2.56 machine screws were used that go all the way through the aileron and nuts where used then OK but just relying on wood screwsin plywood makes me shuder on a 60 size nitro and feels like an earthquake for a 43%.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #156
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24

Quote:
Lee,

Where is Hannon?

The Canadian Warplane Heritage is one of those bucket list items that should be repeated every few years. The amount and different types of planes they have aquired are amazing. Thediffernce between CWH and most other Aircraft Museums is that MOST of their restorations actually fly!

So how long does the stuf have to sit in the bags?
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Old 12-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #157
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleguy View Post
Seriously?

Kevin you think that is stronger then a 8-32 or 10-32 socket head bolt> ALL that are holding the horns on are wood srews in plywood. Now if a 1/8 plywood plate was inset in the aileron on the opposite side and 2.56 machine screws were used that go all the way through the aileron and nuts where used then OK but just relying on wood screwsin plywood makes me shuder on a 60 size nitro and feels like an earthquake for a 43%.
Jim,
I am using 6/32 one inch long course thread screws. on the elevators.
for my rudder, i will be going straight through and bolting the 2 sides together with probably 4-40 screws.
but a question........ Aeroworks only uses servo mounting screws to attach their control horns. Myself, i have never seen one pull out.
They got some pretty big heavy planes to.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #158
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleguy View Post
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdegan View Post
Jim,
I am using 6/32 one inch long course thread screws. on the elevators.
for my rudder, i will be going straight through and bolting the 2 sides together with probably 4-40 screws.
but a question........ Aeroworks only uses servo mounting screws to attach their control horns. Myself, i have never seen one pull out.
They got some pretty big heavy planes to.
Brad,

I guess maybe I am beeing over cautious but it just doesn't feel right. We've all seen servos come loose with those screws.

S H U U U U U D E R R R R R R R R....................
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Old 12-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #159
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

Hey Jim, the 3/8 ply horns are pro bonded into the foam then this is sheeted over with epoxy and then a 1/16 ply plate will be inset on top of that. If this rips out it will rip out the entire aileron with it! Carden and several others have done it this way for a long time.
I will do a detailed write up on the vacuum process but we used 6 inches of Hg with a vacuum relief valve that pops at 7, so it actually fluctuates between 6 and 7 during the process.
Wings are perfectly straight and stiff as a board. The epoxy actually got pulled through the pores of the balsa in places, so we know we got a great bond.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #160
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am using through bolts and dowels on the elevators.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in