Mounting 4-stroke inverted? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My saito 100 in my STA-M runs perfectly and it's inverted.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Heres my 2 cents worth. Sorry Mike, you either had a poor engine or you didn't or wearn't able to get it setup right! I too have never had a problem with an inverted four stroke engine!

I have, over the years, owned just about every sized Saito single cylender engine made and I have NEVER installed one upright, always either sideways or inverted. I've never found the need for an onboard glow as I really don't think they are needed on a single cylender 4 stroke!

AS has already been said more than once in this thread... take the time to setup up the needles properly and you should have absolutely NO problems inverting your engine!

Repitition for emphasis

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34
Actually I have had very good performance with inverted 4-stroke engines. I competed in Pattern Masters class for a couple of years with a YS140L mounted inverted. I came in 2nd at the Nats in Masters with it. You don't do well in Pattern with a crappy engine or not being able to adjust it properly. The engine was mounted inverted for various reasons and the reasons are important enough to accept the potential problems that come with a inverted engine installation.

The point I was trying to make that you guys missed here is the POTENTIAL problems that you may have with a inverted engine installation. If you are willing to accept these issues then go for it. But if you are the type person that just wants to get out to the field and fly and not goof with a problematic engine each time when you get there then don't do it. It is far simpler to mount the engine sideways and get more reliable performance.

Yes you can tune them so they aren't as problematic but the learning curve is pretty steep to be successful.

After 30 years in this hobby my philosophy is Simpler is better. If there is a way I can avoid potential issues at the flying field so I can spend more time flying and socializing then I will go for it. Mounting a engine inverted I know will cause issues no matter what anyone tells me.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #14
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dale I

Total Props: 0
Once again Mike. I'm sorry but I just don't agree.

I never have problems with my engines. I never muss, I never fuss. I goto the field, plug in the glow and start em up every time. I never stall, I never spudder, I never have any problems. Its all about setup and yes you will need to mess a bit initially, but thats it. I have found that the people that mess with everything every time they fly haven't learnt how to properly tune an engine. I'm no master but I just can't agree with you. Maybe its been good luck, maybe not, but to discourage a guy with such a post seems wrong to me when 4 strokes are such nice running, cool sounding, 3 blade turning, perfect running machines.

Dale
Old 12-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig it
Once again Mike. I'm sorry but I just don't agree.

I never have problems with my engines. I never muss, I never fuss. I goto the field, plug in the glow and start em up every time. I never stall, I never spudder, I never have any problems. Its all about setup and yes you will need to mess a bit initially, but thats it. I have found that the people that mess with everything every time they fly haven't learnt how to properly tune an engine. I'm no master but I just can't agree with you. Maybe its been good luck, maybe not, but to discourage a guy with such a post seems wrong to me when 4 strokes are such nice running, cool sounding, 3 blade turning, perfect running machines.

Dale
Good for you.

I also know you have some very talented people in Loyd to give you a hand.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #16
deerslayer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Gary Droppo

Total Props: 1
Thanks!

I appreciate all of the responses to my query.

This will help me when the time comes to decide upon my particular mount. As well, I think such a discussion will help others in the future.

Perhaps the best learning from this is that, provided you are careful and patient and think it through, inverted mounting is OK. Having some varying opinions is great! Like the car companies say, "Your mileage may differ"!
deerslayer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #17
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
The logic is this.

The people that say inverted engines do not work obviously do not use them. Those that say inverted engines do work are using them all the time. So, listen to the experienced people that use inverted engines all the time and ignore everybody else.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #18
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20
Hey deersayer, as Ed S says, learn from the doers. If some one wants to warn you about the potential problems, I'd like to warn you about the potential rewards,
1) they look real good in a cowl
2) they sound real good in a cowl
3) when set up properly, they purr like a kitten
4) you will get to explain to guys at the field how good it works , when they tell you "about all the trouble guys have running inverted engines"

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #19
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Ed and John are giving you great advice! All you need to do is listen and learn! Some of us have been around for a long time and actually might know what we're talking about!

It's like every thing else in life, if it's worth doing, then it's worth doing it properly! Yes, there is a bit of a learning cruve to all of this but the benefits of learning it and doing it properly are very worth while.

It's like people who are annoyed at the time continueally flashing 12:00 - 12:00 - 12:00 on their VCR because they didn't take the time to learn to simply set up the clock! They either don't use them or put up with the annoyance, when its totally not necessary and so easy really to correct!

Rather than being annoyed at the problems, learn to correct them and fully enjoy the benefits!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #20
juice90
RCC Contributor

I am: grant

Total Props: 1
siato 80 size 4 popper in a flighton extra.. inverted. 15% nitro. No problems idleing, flame outs etc.. 91 magnum in a bearcat. almost inverted.. same thing. No problems. Just remember the realative position of the fuel tank. And I hand flip the engines to make sure there is no lock, prior to bumping with my starter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in