Glue for magnets - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
Florin
RCC Contributor

I am: Florin
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 1
Glue for magnets

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The magnets from my Tacon 60 size brushless motor came loose and I would like to reglue them in an attempt to save the motor.

What is the best glue for this purpose? I am thinking of JB Weld or epoxy.
Ash26 4m, Habicht 2.6, GP Patriot 46,Sig 1/4 Cub, Kadet Senior E, Something Extra, 4*40, Avistar, Alpha 40E, Sig Riser, Olympic II, Electra 2m, Butterfly 100, ElectriCub, E-flite Mini Pulse XT, GP yak 54, Mayhem, Blade MCX, Rustler brushless, Micro High Roller, Micro Desert Truck, Littlest Stick, Dumas Red Lion, small bolt, Phantom 2V+, ZMR 250
Florin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83
Re: Glue for magnets

hi Florin,

I haven't done this myself, but Dennis "kyleservicetech" at wattflyer in this thread advocates CA and baking soda.....

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72360

Some epoxies soften with heat so I'd be cautious on epoxy approach; I would think JB Weld would work as it advertises its regular mix as able to withstand a constant temperature of 500 degrees F. and is considered an insulator re electricity.

good luck,

Michael
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

Don't use JB weld!!!!! There is iron in the mix and the magnets will redirect the JB weld week flow away from the magnets..

Old 06-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin View Post
The magnets from my Tacon 60 size brushless motor came loose and I would like to reglue them in an attempt to save the motor.

What is the best glue for this purpose? I am thinking of JB Weld or epoxy.
I had a major crash which knocked two of the magnets loose from my Axi motor. After much research it was recommended to use thin CA to reattach the magnets, which I did and has held so far for a couple years.

The statement about epoxies is true. Some soften with heat. I wanted to add epoxy in between the magnets so they were better supported around the bell. I cured different kinds and used a soldering iron to test for heat resistance. The cheap 5 min epoxy from the dollar store was the only one that passed the test. LOL. I ended up using it.

Chris

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
Florin
RCC Contributor

I am: Florin
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 1

Thanks for your replies guys.
Ash26 4m, Habicht 2.6, GP Patriot 46,Sig 1/4 Cub, Kadet Senior E, Something Extra, 4*40, Avistar, Alpha 40E, Sig Riser, Olympic II, Electra 2m, Butterfly 100, ElectriCub, E-flite Mini Pulse XT, GP yak 54, Mayhem, Blade MCX, Rustler brushless, Micro High Roller, Micro Desert Truck, Littlest Stick, Dumas Red Lion, small bolt, Phantom 2V+, ZMR 250
Florin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in