fuel filler valve - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Royirish

Total Props: 0
fuel filler valve

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have installed fuel filler valves on both planes that I built. I had a manual crank pump and it took a long time to fill the tank--seems to be a lot of pressure.

Bought an electric pump but when I went to use it the pressure caused the tubing to shoot off of the metal nozzle. Am I supposed to be clamping the tube to stuff? Did I muck up both of my filler valves? I could always fill the tanks with the hand crank but it took forever!

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Thanks,
Jake
Royirish is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Something definitely wrong here.

The pressure should bleed out the muffer through the pressure tap.

Maybe you have the filler valve on the pressure line instead of the carb feed line? Often filler valves get their own line in to the tank (third line).
Old 05-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
Royirish

It is possible I messed up the installation, but I don't think it would work if I did.

There are two fuel lines coming off of the filler valve: one goes to the carb and the other to the fuel tank. The pressure line to the muffler is direct from the fuel tank.

The fuel flows freely to the carburator, I just have trouble with getting the fuel to flow to the tank. The electric pump worked perfectly when I pulled the line off of the carburator--which leaves the valve itself I believe.

I made sure the fuel lines were not kinked. I think I used medium tubing (one engine is .40 and the other .75).

I figured it could be a fluke on my first model but now I have two very difficult models to fuel.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
Robw
RCC Contributor

I am: Rob W

You may have the tubing on the incorrect nipple. If it is wrong then you are trying to send fuel to the carburetor instead of the fuel tank and that will cause a lot of back pressure. Try switching the tubes around.

Flying Tigers RC Club

MAAC# 50959
Robw is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Fuel Filler

He try this link they are so simple to instal other (than needing third line) cheap, look good ,etc.When I first started flying I used the filler valves ,try and keep tabs on that nipple needed to fill with

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Your LHS will have them too I just used the link for the picture.Mind you his price with shipping to Ontario was less for 2 than what I paid for 1 at LHS.We now have a new store in town Hurray
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royirish
I figured it could be a fluke on my first model but now I have two very difficult models to fuel.
Your installation sounds correct, is the filler tip right for the fuel valve? (i.e. switching it from run to refuel) I noticed the sullivan ones need a long tube into it to switch it.

Sullivan fuel valve
Bisson fuel dot on a third tube works well too.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
Royirish

Son of a Gun!

Thanks erg, what a simple solution that was! I was using the wrong nozzle to insert into the filler valve. I never noticed when I bought the fuel filler valves that they came with a different nozzle than had come with my fuel pumps.

Life is much easier now. Thanks again for the input guys,
Happy Flying!
Old 06-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
lehma
RCC Apprentice

Hi there.

One thing to be careful of as that component gets older is that it doesn't close all the way and lets air in.

I had one (very old) and it must have introduced a large air bubble at just about takeoff = plane died!

It was a 60 size hobbico trainer.
lehma is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in