new into heli's, moving to comox BC........ - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
great white

Total Props: 0
new into heli's, moving to comox BC........

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all.

I just recently was posted from Greenwood NS to Comox BC. I fly Search and Rescue in the Cormorant.

I just picked up a raptor 30 v1 from a friend ready to fly, http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...QAdIdZ55642820, and am looking to fill in some time while in BC. I got it for a bit less than the ad price too (500 bucks and many extra's not in the ad).
I'm just flying the sim right now in realflight g 3.5 to get the feel before attempting the real thing.

Here's a pic:

Ultimately, I'd like to build a tandem and "do it up" like my first helo, the ch113 labrador, but that's years off yet. The raptor is intended to be a learning platform for now, and maybe for a little 3d fun in the future (if I ever get that good).

I'm currently collecting all the little things that are a PITA (field box, starter, tools, ball link pliers, etc).

If anyone can suggest any clubs or hobby stores in Comox (or on the island) it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

BJ
great white is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
Re: new into heli's, moving to comox BC........

Congratulations !
Welcome to the FUN club !
Looks like you have a pretty decent setup to start.
You might want to get some training legs set up with carbon tubes and hollow baseballs
......or easier yet, the purple hoola hoop from the dollar store with some dowels across.

sending you a private message

Cassat
cassat is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
keithgr148
RCC Contributor

I am: Keith G
Radio of choice:
JR 9303 2.4
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: -21

WAY TO go good luck with your heli flying ! you mite want to get some crash kits ? and to save some money you mite want to take off those nice CF main blades and put on some woodys ! save the CF main blades when you can good ! have fun play safe .
keithgr148 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
great white

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassat View Post
Congratulations !
Welcome to the FUN club !
Looks like you have a pretty decent setup to start.
You might want to get some training legs set up with carbon tubes and hollow baseballs
......or easier yet, the purple hoola hoop from the dollar store with some dowels across.

sending you a private message

Cassat
yup. Already have training gear made from dowling and wiffle balls. thanks for the advice though (and the PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgr148 View Post
WAY TO go good luck with your heli flying ! you mite want to get some crash kits ? and to save some money you mite want to take off those nice CF main blades and put on some woodys ! save the CF main blades when you can good ! have fun play safe .
I was lucky enough to get a complete crash kit off my buddy who sold it to me. I also got a spare tail boom and two extra sets of wood blades. So I've got two tail boomsand three sets of wood blades altogether as well as spare glow plugs, pulleys, blade grips, tail fins, tail blades, flybar, etc.........He threw in pretty much evrything he had lying around.

I was planning to put the wood blades on until I was relatively safe from crashing.

I figure once I can auto reliably, I'll slip the CF blades back on.

Here's a vid of my day job, a medivac we did off a cruise ship south of Yarmouth. I'm the guy standing on top of the helo at the beginning (yeah, white hair, hence the forum name!):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z4SYAslLSrg

Your tax dollars at work................

(I didn't pick the music, a guy we had with us that day made the video)

Like I said before, new to heli's, but not to flying or real helo's!

Last edited by great white; 06-28-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
DWS
RCC Noob

I am: doug s
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 8

Welcome to the westcoast great white,check out Frank McCrindle's Flight supply in merville just north of Comox up the island Mike his son is a very good pilot with helis and aircraft. his # is 250 337-5320.l8r
DWS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:11 AM   #6
Konrad
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Konrad
Radio of choice:
JR 11X & JR X9503
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1

BJ
Contact Frank Jaerschky in Comox. He is an Air Traffic Controller who I believe is working in the Tower. If not, he will be in Terminal. Frank got me started in Trenton. We worked together in the tower. Great guy who is involved with the club out in Comox. He wont steer you wrong. I've been flying fixed wing but just bought a little electric heli to try it out. Have fun, you're going to love Comox!!!

Konrad
Konrad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #7
great white

Thanks guys, I'll check out the shop and make the contact once I'm there.

I'm guessing CFB Comox has an RC club then? I've seen reference to an RC "fly in" at the base on the web here and there.

I've been to Comox before, beautiful place, but this time it's going to suck for me.

I'm being forced to go out without my family for the next 1-2 yrs. Even then, I have to leave my 5 yr old behind with her mom (divorced). What's a guy to do with 18 years in? Just too close to pension to leave, sometimes I think they do it "on purpose".................

Supposedly, I'm being sent to the school to "pass on my years of experience" to the next generation. I suppose it's a compliment, but the school is like a sausage factory, and I'd rather be flying SAR missions.............need my adrenaline rush!

Bought the heli to try and fill in the time while away, try and keep my mind off the bad stuff and a man can only golf so much!

I'm thinking about a small electric for the office now, just to give me some distraction now and then. I've got one of those "pico micro" jobbies (walmart, 30 bucks) but thrust and rudder is just not enough to control it very well and it's not much fun once you figure out hover (took all of 2 minutes). Pretty much hover taxi is all you can get out of it.

Any recommendations for a small heli flyer with actual swashplate controls? Something manuverable? Something I can chase "the boss" around the office with? (Keep it cheap please, under 80-100 bucks!)
Old 07-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #8
inhissteps
RCC Contributor

I am: Wes Quist
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7s
# of RCs: 10

Welcome to Beautiful B.C. and welcome to the wounderful world of RC Heli's.
Learn with baby steps.. Pour over the wealth of info on this site. There is alot of people who are very experanced on this site who can troubleshoot and give valuable insite on any given issue. There is tons of great info on other websites with reguards to heli's don't be afraid ask questions. Its beter to ask a question then to start repairing because you did'nt know what to do.

Ps, I'm sure you know this but I stress that you respect your new heli and those around you. Heli's are alot of fun but they can bite any of us in the butt when disrespected.

Have fun and fly safe
inhissteps is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in