Swash leveler - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 12-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
rc999
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Brian P
Radio of choice:
spektrum

Total Props: 0
Swash leveler

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
How necessary is a swash leveling tool?
If my linkage rods are bang on as per specks,i should be good right?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Re: Swash leveler

Wrong!

Oh continue ok. One all the little black links at end of the rods should face the same way . All branded heli's to my knowledge use a link thet one side is marked Has to do with popping on and off of the balls and staying in place . So right there you may or may not get that half turn you want or need. Servos have so many teeth and the servo arm will change how it sits by rotating one way or the other. As an example servo weels on a trex 600 have 8 different positions they can be put on the servo so it sits at a 90 degree angle. The swash plate leveller is such a low cost tool and it goes in hand with a pitch guage One of the must haves in tools. Can't build a Heli without allen(hex head )screwdrivers nor a swash tool. Worst scenario borrow one. My nickels worth(inflation and all)

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
rc999
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifly2104 View Post
Wrong!

Oh continue ok. One all the little black links at end of the rods should face the same way . All branded heli's to my knowledge use a link thet one side is marked Has to do with popping on and off of the balls and staying in place . So right there you may or may not get that half turn you want or need. Servos have so many teeth and the servo arm will change how it sits by rotating one way or the other. As an example servo weels on a trex 600 have 8 different positions they can be put on the servo so it sits at a 90 degree angle. The swash plate leveller is such a low cost tool and it goes in hand with a pitch guage One of the must haves in tools. Can't build a Heli without allen(hex head )screwdrivers nor a swash tool. Worst scenario borrow one. My nickels worth(inflation and all)

Interesting.I was under the impression the sub trims would take care of my servo centering?
Lots to learn I guess.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
rc999
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
spektrum

Are the swash levelers which slide in without having to disassemble the head any good?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
lead balloon
RCC Contributor

I am: Steve B
Radio of choice:
Jr 9303

Total Props: 8

You can use a zip tie as a swash leveler if you want. Just zip it on the main shaft and use the tag end to check all your points. No need to remove the head
lead balloon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

one thing I like about the swash leveling tool is that you can put it on and leave it on while checking the pitch at full positive and negative stick. That lets you also ensure the swash is level at the top and bottom of its travel and you can fix using end point at that time. It can also help you find out if all the servos have the same travel characteristics up and down for the full range of travel.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

[QUOTE=lead balloon;1293398]You can use a zip tie as a swash leveler if you want. Just zip it on the main shaft and use the tag end to check all your points. No need to remove the head[/QUOTE
Never heard of that one but I can how it would work.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Wizzard
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne S.

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
one thing I like about the swash leveling tool is that you can put it on and leave it on while checking the pitch at full positive and negative stick. That lets you also ensure the swash is level at the top and bottom of its travel and you can fix using end point at that time. It can also help you find out if all the servos have the same travel characteristics up and down for the full range of travel.
+1......
Wizzard is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
lead balloon
RCC Contributor

I am: Steve B
Radio of choice:
Jr 9303

Total Props: 8

http://youtu.be/iUAluAxRi4Q

Zip tie method.
lead balloon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead balloon View Post
I like it because you don't have to blow apart the head to install this leveling tool.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in