Fast edf but what is it? - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #41

Total Props: 57
Re: Fast edf but what is it?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels_78 View Post
Nothing unfortunate about it man, it's not like I was trying to hide anything.... I just didn't want to be one of the guys in the ring.

However, since I'm typing about it now and I'm a sucker for an arguement....

You doubted that 40% airplanes would fly on electric too.

Actually to be fair I never doubted any 40% aircraft would fly on electric, back in the 80's I don't think anyone figured we'd be flying 40% aircraft period.
I'm not even sure what bear you're trying to poke with that one. I never said anything negative really about electrics either, I have simply stated that I don't get why you'd spend as much money for an electric fan setup as a turbine could cost. It's not my deal, and yeah, back in the 80's, who would have even thought we'd be flying with turbines much less big electrics.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #42
Wheels_78
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Cory VS
Radio of choice:
Giving the 11x a try
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1

I don't think my point was really that obscure........

Back then nobody thought that you could power a 40% aircraft with batteries and have the performance we get today, but it happened...... and right now you can't imagine an electric system that out performs a turbine for a reasonable price....... but a decade from now? Do you see the parallel now?

Bear poking? Accuse me of that again when I start digging up posts that YOU'VE made, then thought better of, just so I can make smug comments on them ok?
Wheels_78 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #43
mike88

Total Props: 0

Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #44

Total Props: 57

Quote:
I don't think my point was really that obscure........

Back then nobody thought that you could power a 40% aircraft with batteries and have the performance we get today, but it happened...... and right now you can't imagine an electric system that out performs a turbine for a reasonable price....... but a decade from now? Do you see the parallel now?

Bear poking? Accuse me of that again when I start digging up posts that YOU'VE made, then thought better of, just so I can make smug comments on them ok?
Listen, I'm not even sure what you're arguing about. Yes, back then who would have thought we'd have 40%ers powered by electric, today we do, but would I call it a reasonable price? Not when I can buy gassers for substantially less than the comparable electric setup with batteries.
Maybe one day an electric motor will be able to turn a turbine wheel at 120,000 RPM in the same size case as a turbine, but will it be cheap, not likely. I never said that it's impossible for it to happen, but saying it can happen, and saying it will happen for cheaper than turbines are 2 different things and my PERSONAL OPINION is that it won't happen. I can't even put together a .40 size electric setup for the same money as a .40 size glow. You can't put together a .91size ducted fan setup in electric for the same price as glow. You can't put together a P70 size electric setup (17lbs thrust) for the same size as a 17lb thrust turbine.

Sure performance may match it one day, but bang for the buck, I personally don't see it. As for my original comments which stemmed from the comment of how turbines days are numbered, I stand firm, I don't think EDF will ever replace turbines, particularly when it comes to the large jets (28lbs or more thrust).

Sorry you feel I can't have an opinion though.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #45
Wheels_78
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Cory VS
Radio of choice:
Giving the 11x a try
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGM Graphix View Post
Sorry you feel I can't have an opinion though.
OK that's enough drama for me
Wheels_78 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #46
mike88

Total Props: 0

Quote:
OK that's enough drama for me
Cuz ya know he's right... RIGHT....right
  Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in