Turbine mounting - potential problems - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Turbine mounting - potential problems

This is just a post to serve as a reminder that not all "issues" are to be blamed on the turbine manufacturer.

In my case, it pertains to my J55HP turbine I am running in my Reaction R54. Last summer, I noticed part way through the year the engine had developed a bit of a rub on the compressor. It wasnt enough to make the engine not run, so I flew it through the summer. At Wingham last year I noticed it was getting worse, and if the engine was sitting on the tight spot the starter wouldnt turn it over. SO, I figured no prob its under warranty and I will take it off and send it in to Peter at Altecare.

WHen I was changing my receiver in this plane from 72 to 2.4, I thought it would be a good time to remove the engine. Well, to my surprise as soo as I released the two pipe strap clamps (the engine uses an older RAM500 style mount with two metal band clamps to hold it on) the engine spun freely!

I know now what happened. WHen I mounted the engine, I must have over tightened the clamps. And, partway through last season I remember checking the clamps and tightening them further. The tolerances are so close on this engine, the small but significant pressure the straps were placing on the casing distorted the alignment enough to cause the rub.

When I remounted the engine, I made sure the straps were even all around the case, and tightened it only enough to snug the engine (you cannot move it as hard as you try by hand) and NO more.

Modern straps that come with the newer engines probably are not as prone to this, but just keep in mind if you have anything like a rub or sound that wasnt there previous to mounting the turbine, make sure your mounts are not over tightened.

No need to discuss/reply... just thought I would share this and possibly save someone else a headache.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in