Lipo Receiver Packs for Nitro - Information Thread - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
Lipo Receiver Packs for Nitro - Information Thread

Due to a lot of mixed information from around the net, I'm starting up a lipo receiver pack for nitro thread. I think a lot of us are looking into it, but have seen mixed reviews around the net.
I'm hoping those with good knowledge and first hand experience will help cover the following topics:
Lipo packs: what configuration, which ones fit where, what manufactures are good (and bad)
Charging: good/cheap/reliable chargers and techniques
Regulaturs: which ones are good/reliable - which ones don't handle the current or voltage and cause problems
Servos: which ones will handle unregulated voltage, which ones wont.
Receivers: thermal shutdowns - which ones will handle unregulated voltage, which ones won't.
Voltage cutoff: what devices exist and which ones are good and bad
Might also be good for anyone involved to post their entire nitro lipo setup so we know whats out there and working well:
Battery (capacity, manufacturer)
Charger
Receiver
Servos
Switch
Regulator
Voltage cutoff device
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
thrash metal
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
my current lipo setup

im running lipo reciever packs in my truggy and both my revo and my savage xl.

in my truggy

losi 2s 2000 mih lipo reciever pack with a losi voltage regulator. i decided to not go with a lipo cutoff because i dont run it long enough to worry about the voltage going below 6 volts. i also run the exact same setup in my revo 3.3. i run 3 qualifiers in both without charging them and then for the mains i give them a charge. when im charging my lipos i never charge at a higher rate than 2 amps.

in my savage xl im using an apogee 2s 2000 mih lipo with the losi voltage regulator. also dont use a lipo cutoff. i can bash for an hour straight and my lipo will still be way over 7 volts.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Pipeous
RCC Pro Contributor

Hitec digitals servos are able to handle the full power of a lipo so you wouldn't need a regulator. also spektrum rx';s are ok with it. just make sure your equipment is rated for the voltage before attempting. I was reading about this topic on sgrid recently. While I don't run nitro anymore, I use nothing but lipos now
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Jeddddd
RCC Contributor

I am: Jeff G

I have a lot more info to add when I get a chance but I will say again ... I would not run lipo without a regulator ... even if the Hitech digital servos (which I run 5955 & 5965) are able to handle it the low cost and ease of placement of a regulator is a no-brainer in my opinion and I think the best advice to people thinking of entering into lipo ... until, as Gump mentioned, they start coming out with receivers and servos specific for lipo ... now back to repairing my septic system ... great thread though Gump

Jed
Jeddddd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
thrash metal
RCC Supreme Contributor

re lipo regulator

i agreee with jedddd,

i wouldnt run my lipo reciever packs without using the voltage regulators with them even though im using the hi tec and ace digital titanium gear servos.

the cheap cost of the losi voltage regulator ( less than 30 bucks) is a good investment when running lipo reciever packs.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
I wanna hear more about the low voltage cutoff circuitry available.
If a receiver had that built in, with a built in failsafe, combined with lipo voltage specific servos, that would just about clinch it for me. Does this exist anywhere yet?
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in