RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 11:20 PM   #1
David_Moen

Total Props: 0
NiMH batteries in airplanes

Hi all,

I run NiCD batteries in all my airplanes so far. My favorite has a 1700ma pack on the RX and a 700ma pack on the ignition. Both are 4.8V packs. The ignition pack is a bit on the light duty side, so I was thinking of removing it, swapping my RX pack in it's place and replacing the RX pack. I noticed that GH has some great deals on batteries right now, $20 for a 2100ma 4 cell NiMH pack and $24.95 for a 5 cell pack.

Any reason not to switch to NiMh? Is it worth-while to go to 6 volt? The plane is an Ultra Stick 120, I have 4 standard servos on the wing and 2 digitals in the tail.

Thanks!
David_Moen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:43 AM   #2
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 49
I went to NiMh last year and there is a learning curve with them. Fly R/C had a good article a few months back, basically a comparison between the battery types. I'll have to search for it though. I find they do not like to be fast charged, as you would a Nicad. That being said I trickle mine and have had good results at te field. Others can chime in here too, that way we can both learn.
MECA 4762
Thank a farmer
My Website, https://frankshangar.com/
My YouTube channels,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...ZDhGp4w/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-k...8MphsMZuVfwqJw
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
R Plante
RCC Contributor

I am: Randy P

Total Props: 4
nimh

I use both with no problem and fast charge only using a Sirius quad charger from Chief Aircraft.All my batteries test well using an ace abacus discharger.

I believe you should use the charger you use for flying on a daily basis as the charger you use for testing your batteries.

Randy
R Plante is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

David, everybody I know is using Nimh batteries now.
Most guys are using 5-cell packs. You can get a 5-cell 1500mah pack now that weighs about the same as your old 4-cell 600mah nicad packs. (and about the same price as the old nicad packs cost)

Lets see, increased voltage = more powerful/faster servos
Higher MAH= Longer flight-time
Lighter weight= better performance
Cycling helpful for monitoring packs, but not required to
eliminate "Memory"

Downside,
-A little extra care required for charging (use a good charger)
-If you use a 5-cell pack, it may reduce the life of your servos slightly.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:28 AM   #5
Peter Gordon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: peter g

Walmart sells Energizer NiMh AA 2300 mAh cells, 4 for $16. Pick up a few packs, solder them together, and you have a pack for about $20. I use these packs in my 33% planes with NO issues. When I started making my own packs with these types of cells, they were rated at 1850 mAh. Within 2 years, they are getting 2300 mAh into that tiny cylinder now. Give it a try. If you have any questions on how to put the pack together, pm me. I'd be happy to help. Start to finish including shrink wrapped, it takes me about 20 minutes now for a 5 cell pack.

Also, on the charging end of things, from what I've been able to piece together in all the articles that I've read, the rates for charging are:

NiCd - 3C max, 2C typical
NiMh - 2C max, 1C typical
LiPo - 1C max, 1C typical

That means for a NiMh 2000 mAh pack, your max charge rate is 4 Amps, typical is 2 Amps. I've used the 2C rate to charge some E-flight packs (730 mAh) and have eventually seen performance degradation. Ultimately, if you require fast charging, have a spare charged pack ready instead!

Peter
Old 12-12-2004, 12:27 PM   #6
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

I was going to mention those 2300 AA packs, I bought a couple last week but haven't tested them yet.
The ones I have are duracell, and they cost me $12 for a 4 pack.
(We sell them where I work)
If they are "up to snuff", this is a great deal!

Amazing how good batteries are getting!

Peter, how do you solder your packs?

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:55 PM   #7
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
My 2100 NiMH's indicate 650mah for "fast" charge rate.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:14 PM   #8
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163
Batteries

I've been using nimh for about 3 years now, no problems with them except that I have never been able to get them to fast charge with out my charger false peaking and shutting off. So I always have to slow charge .

This could be an issue with my charger"Super Nova 250s" or the battery type.

I've been contemplating a change to Li-ion but at the cost of about $500 for Duralites to set up a giant scale plane ( this includes new charger) I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Mike
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:16 PM   #9
David_Moen

I've got an Accucycle Elite for carging/cylcing, it should be just as good for NiHM as it is for NiCD, which is great. I've been peak charging at 1C before flying, and discharging to 1 volt per cell for storage of a week or longer.

I think I'll go ahead and get one of the 2100mah 6 volt packs. This means that I could fly two dayts in a row without charging (does anyone who works for a living and has kids ever actually manage that feat?). I've got to order some skis anyway - I learned yesterday that just because there's no snow on my lawn, doesn't mean the field is clear. Too bad, after the month I've had I was looking forward to some flying!
David_Moen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:51 PM   #10
rscamp
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Rob C

David.

Application information for NiMH indicates full-discharges will reduce life. This is good practise for NiCds, but apparently it doesn't translate to NiMHs.

NiMH cells vary drasticlly. There are high-current cells that charge great at 3C using NiCd delta-peak charge termination settings. Most NiMHs would be destroyed by this treatment. Generally speaking, the higher the capacity per unit volume, the less likely it will charge well using delta-peak charge termination.

Rob
rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in