Tamiya 801X-E - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Zimmie
RCC Noob

I am: Hugh Z.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 4PKSR
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 0
Tamiya 801X-E

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Heya folks,

I am a Tamiya Fanboy....straight up. I remember being a kid and buying RC Modeler mags in the late 70's, to drool over all the awesome toys. Sadly, most of the drooling was looking at the adverts for all the Tamiya kits, as RC Modeler is/was not a ground based RC magazine. None the less, lots of great memories . It wasn't 'til the late 80's that I could finally afford a "hobby grade" RC...the Grasshopper!

Well, fast forward to now and many, many RCs later...

I have always wanted to get into 1/8 scale but Tamiya only offers a nitro version, and well, I wanted electric, so I made my own...queue the organ music!

without further ado...here is what I did to accomplish my conversion:

Tech details:

Mugen MBX6 ECO motor mount - modified to fit Tamiya diff. A direct fit to the existing chassis, but I had to make a top diff plate out of Carbon Fibre and cut the Mugen top plate so that all I had left were the bearing retainers...then custom fit the CF top plate. Also had to shave some aluminum off the inside of the Mugen mount, as the diff was binding.

Losi Eight-E spur gear and diff cover- direct fit onto the Tamiya diff

3mm Carbon fibre used for everything.

Brake line cut into 8mm sections for the raised CF battery stops (Big thank you to Henry @ TheZoomRoom...his inspired idea!...and he supplied the brake line...give that guy a hug!)

TT02 - receiver box (Again, thanks to Henry for rummaging through his parts wall for this gem) - Also used some parts off the plastic tree for mounting the box to the CF

A whole bunch of different screws, locknuts, and Tamiya spacers!!!

Only had to drill 2 holes in the chassis - for the radio tray

Carbon fibre was cut with a scroll saw using a metal cutting jewellers blade. The blade was .4mm thick and was only good for 20cm of cutting before it became too dull...it was slow going. The outsides of the CF were shaped using a belt/spindle sander (much faster and accurate...yay!!). The insides were done with the scroll saw/spindle sander/files. All holes were drilled with a press and backed with wood to eliminate tearing...and use a sharp drill bit! Always wear a respirator/mask when working with CF!!!!!

All in all, wasn't too hard to do...just need a whole lot of patience and....measure 10 times before cutting!!!

In the pics, I have a SC motor in it as I don't yet have a proper 1/8 system for it (it still pushes this beastie around quite well). A Tekin RX8 Gen2 will fit perfectly behind the radio box (this was planned for).

I've put 4 packs of hard bashing through it and no problems...I just need a track to see how it truly handles.

Cheers,

Zimmie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top view.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	219054   Click image for larger version

Name:	side view1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	219055   Click image for larger version

Name:	side view2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	219056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131016_000801.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	219057  

Zimmie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
rushabh
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rushabh S
Radio of choice:
Futaba 4PLS
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 4
Re: Tamiya 801X-E

This thing looks amazing..
ive been wanting a 1/8th scale buggy for a while and this is looking really sweet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in