Product support(long story..Happy ending:) - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
leopard1
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Paul Petrie
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9cSuper
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 0
Product support(long story..Happy ending:)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Recently purchased a Parkzone F-27C Stryker. RTF package. Brand new from my fav LHS.
Got home and eagerly opened the box. Close inspection revealed the motor mount had been overtightened in all the corners, resulting in crushing of the foam. Decided to see how the electronics checked out. A pleasant suprise was that the Esc provided was an upgraded E-flite 30A. The box stated that it had a 25A. Cool! Battery charged. Turned on the provided TX. Hooked up the battery. Esc armed successfully. Great! Check the control surfaces movement....c%%....the elevons would not function according to input. Ok....time to call product support. Product support from Horizon has me check the TX settings and finally agrees that the supplied TX is faulty. Send it in for a replacement. I mentioned my concerns about the motor mount. Was told to try it regardless and that is should not be a problem. Decided to swap out the RX and use my own equipment. Futaba RX and my trusty 9CAP TX. A quick setup and all is now good. Elevons respond accordingly. Off to the field for a maiden!! First flight....take it easy....half-throttle....easy lap around the field..float in for a landing....sweet! Ok time to see how it goes with some power...around the field again at half throttle....pull bak to go vertical....kick it up to full power....and the motor separates from the fuse...down it comes

Called product support. Supplied pictures from initial out of the box and after the motor ripped itself off. Got lost in their callback list a few times. Finally(three weeks later), I call to see what is up....the representative appologizes for lack of communication, product defects etc.

End result....new complete RTF package is in the mail!!!!!!!!!
That is product support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People I spoke with were friendly at all times and I was never made to feel like I was just a number. It is good to know that some companies stand behind their products like this.

Sure the Stryker I purchased is repairable but I should never have had the problems I had right out of the box. Then again...s&^%* happens and I don't hold that against them. Great service and support....hard to beat.

Cheers,
leopard1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94
Re: Product support(long story..Happy ending:)

Glad to see that a guy can still get a fair shake now and then!

How do you like the Stryker? Is it the new version?
I have been contemplating picking one up for winter flying.
Would it be a good snow lander?

Cheers
Curt

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #3

Total Props: 57

I wish all companies were like Horizon when it comes to customer and product support, that's one of the main reasons I fly JR, there is simply no better support out there!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

For the price, the Stryker is a cool airplane....unfortunately mine only lasted 3 flights but I don't think that Horizon would be willing to take responsibility for the leaves and branches imbedded in the airframe....I have ordered another one.....Ron
reo is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
leopard1
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 9cSuper

LGM-yes...great support is always a nice thing.

Curt: The Stryker should land on snow quite fine. Yes it is the newest version. I have repaired the original frame. Lots of CA, packing tape and two carbon fibre rods
It flies very well at almost all speeds. Vertical is almost insane with full power. Lots of fun to toss around at hig speed and then go low and slow across the strip. I have not had the guts to try it inverted yet. I figure to order in a bare airframe and coat it in fibre glass with carbon rods. Should be near bulletproof then. Should also prevent leaf and branch collection

Ron: Sorry to hear about yours. They do take a little getting used to. My pulse is always up for the first minute or two...or three

I'll do a Stryker thread in the electric section when I get the bare frame in.

Cheers,
Old 08-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard1 View Post
LGM-yes...great support is always a nice thing.

Ron: Sorry to hear about yours. They do take a little getting used to. My pulse is always up for the first minute or two...or three

Cheers,

in truth, it was a nice flying little jet and speed was not the issue, I've been flying turbines for 9 years and have faster electric stuff in the barn, the issue was that two of us were doing some inpromptu 'racing' with similar electric a/c (I was losing to a FunJet) and when I realized that my eyes were flying the 'other' plane once I eyeballed mine again I put it in the trees so not to risk our vehicles in the pit area. Never a life and death thing, just a matter of sacrificing an airframe for safety and autobody work.....Ron
Old 08-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
leopard1
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 9cSuper

Ron,

Wise choice and quick thinking on your part
Is yours repairable?

Cheers,
Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard1 View Post
Ron,

Wise choice and quick thinking on your part
Is yours repairable?

Cheers,
I didn't bother....I gave all the components to my grandson and he is still using them in one of his projects so he thought the crash wasn't such a bad thing!!...Ron
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in