mcpx newbie indoor learning... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
xv-townboy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Spektrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 16
Re: mcpx newbie indoor learning...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Haha Thats awesome ..A Quad would be great for that

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
RaiDar
RCC Apprentice

I am: Bill Mc
Radio of choice:
wants a DX9
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0

and the video, it flys...........

the longest hover so far.

again

Last edited by RaiDar; 01-29-2012 at 04:48 PM.
RaiDar is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
cariboojohn
RCC Noob

I am: green
Radio of choice:
DX6I
# of RCs: 8

I just tried the MSR. blades on the MCPX. and it works.....Did you add any washers between the blade grips ??? Lot`s of room for them. Or are they just free floating.
cariboojohn is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
RaiDar
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
wants a DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboojohn View Post
I just tried the MSR. blades on the MCPX. and it works.....Did you add any washers between the blade grips ??? Lot`s of room for them. Or are they just free floating.
yup, just left them floating although a friend(indoorheli) on another forum says he just uses small pieces of thin cardboard. Eat up your wheaties and maybe mom will let you use some of the box lol

Cheers

again
Old 01-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Chris S.
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-32
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 10

Glad to hear that you are having success within the mcpx. It's a great little machine for learning..... It is actually very durable as collective machines go... It's great to try new stuff with...

One thing...this machine (as with all flybarless machines) does not like to be light on the skids with control inputs being made. Many a FBL machine is crashed on the first few flights because of this...no matter what size... When flying a flybarred machine it is a common practice to rock the controls around to find the center... When you give a FBL machine an input with the skids down it can't react and keeps adding swash movement in that direction. When you finally lift off it rips off in that direction and can't recover before it rolls itself up. This bit me a couple times when I went FBL.

The mcpx does this too. (and the new msr x) it's good practice to not touch cyclic and pump it up to a foot or so quickly. It hard when learning to commit like this but it sure helps getting into a stable hover...let the wonder of FBL do it's magic....

Best of luck

Chris
Cat 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
RaiDar
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
wants a DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat 1 View Post
Glad to hear that you are having success within the mcpx. It's a great little machine for learning..... It is actually very durable as collective machines go... It's great to try new stuff with...

One thing...this machine (as with all flybarless machines) does not like to be light on the skids with control inputs being made. Many a FBL machine is crashed on the first few flights because of this...no matter what size... When flying a flybarred machine it is a common practice to rock the controls around to find the center... When you give a FBL machine an input with the skids down it can't react and keeps adding swash movement in that direction. When you finally lift off it rips off in that direction and can't recover before it rolls itself up. This bit me a couple times when I went FBL.

The mcpx does this too. (and the new msr x) it's good practice to not touch cyclic and pump it up to a foot or so quickly. It hard when learning to commit like this but it sure helps getting into a stable hover...let the wonder of FBL do it's magic....

Best of luck

Chris

Hey thanks Chris, that explains an issue i've been experiencing all day long!

which brings to mind a question then, after a less than optimal landing is there any way of centering the swash or cyclic input other than unplugging the battery and plugging back in? It seems like after i put it back on the ground after picking it up from whatever mishap that i am starting out in a cyclic deficit.

Cheers, bill

again
Old 01-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #17
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Chris S.
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-32
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 10

Yes Bill, I have noticed this with the MCPX too.... (its the only FBL I crash on a regular basis ) On my bigger machines I am in the habit of looking at the swash before i spool up and levelling it should it be off because of stance change since power up. this is hard with the little one because of the size of it but it works too... the power down and up is the best way but if you fiddle with the sticks till the swash is level and stays level then use the pop up takeoff you should be ok...

also its good to check that the trims or (sub trims)are set ok... if you initialize the heli and set it down without touching the transmitter the swash should stay level for quite a while... if it tends to creep one way just sitting there your trims might be off a bit... trim works much different on a FBL .. this can give takeoff fits... once the heli is up it trims itself for level ignoring the trim that causes it issues on the ground..

hope this helps... FBL is so nice once it is all setup...
Cat 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #18
RaiDar
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
wants a DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat 1 View Post
Yes Bill, I have noticed this with the MCPX too.... (its the only FBL I crash on a regular basis ) On my bigger machines I am in the habit of looking at the swash before i spool up and levelling it should it be off because of stance change since power up. this is hard with the little one because of the size of it but it works too... the power down and up is the best way but if you fiddle with the sticks till the swash is level and stays level then use the pop up takeoff you should be ok...

also its good to check that the trims or (sub trims)are set ok... if you initialize the heli and set it down without touching the transmitter the swash should stay level for quite a while... if it tends to creep one way just sitting there your trims might be off a bit... trim works much different on a FBL .. this can give takeoff fits... once the heli is up it trims itself for level ignoring the trim that causes it issues on the ground..

hope this helps... FBL is so nice once it is all setup...

Thank you again Chris, there are so many idiosyncrasies in this game! but from what i recall and what i have read about 10 million times better now than 40 years ago.

Cheers

again
Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
RaiDar
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
wants a DX9

OK, update time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboojohn View Post
yes CJ, i have put spacers now, in fact what i did was cut the mounting section out of a pair of toasted baldes cut that down to a nice fit at the blade grip and slide it in with the blade and mess around til i find the common screw hole(those sharp little wooden toothpicks work good to line up the holes) and put a screw in. works well as a spacer and seems much better for blade tracking.

But!! i have also changed to using msrx blades and they work much nicer, still like training wheels for us newbies but much more precise with cyclic and throttle(using same spacers). i am very happy with the result, it flys alot more similar to the normal blades, just way less power to deal with. I am still messing with throttle/pitch curve settings.

woo hoo havin fun. tell you one thing it is 100 times easier to fly than this POS msrx i have sitting here, what a waste of $ that thing has been, and for another $30 or so i coulda had another mcpx - no comparison!!

Cheers, Bill

again

Last edited by RaiDar; 02-16-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in