Machine shop service? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #11
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12
Re: Machine shop service?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
Dennis this is an adapter I need for an electric motor. The one I have depicted in the pics (pic #2 and #3) at 26.5mm long is just a little short for the prop I want to use.

Either a "collet" type adapter (pic #1) or a "back mount" type adapter (pic #2 and #3) would work but I prefer the latter type cause I've found on the odd occasion that the collet type can be out of true since it cinches down on the motor shaft itself. (which can be slightly out of true itself)

On the other hand the backmount type bolts directly onto the motor itself therefore this type tends to run true more consistently.

Colin
You are absolutely right those collet style and even the set screw type are definitely not as good as the bolt on you have pictured. The clamp on or collet style tend to deform with overtightening. Then they can run out of true causing all kinds of vibration.

You have two problems one finding one long enough to suit your needs and the second the adaptor must fit the motor bolt holes and center boss correctly or you risk runout.

Why exactly do you need the extra length? Is it to accommodate the prop/spinner hardware? If it is, could it be because you’re attempting to run standard IC style prop and spinner? Electric specific props and spinners tend to be thinner at the hub so they fit most of these adaptors. The props and spinners being much lighter also cause less vibration and in my opinion work more efficiently with the electric combination.

I have only made two adaptors and they are really fussy to get perfect. Both times they took two trys to get them to my satisfaction. What I have done is to make a recessed nut that has a bit of an oversized shank that fits part way down inside the prop to give enough thread contact to secure the nut. True Turn as has quite a few options and they advertise the adapters as being longer than the stock or regular ones. http://www.truturn.com/product_line.html

Dennis

Last edited by Lazy Ace; 11-22-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
Thunder Chicken
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 18

Not sure if this guy would have what you need, but I liked the few I got for m SK3 series motors. His store on eBay is Smallpartscnc

http://www.ebay.ca/usr/smallpartscnc...19.m1438.l2754
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #13
hitechflyer
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Hank U.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Total Props: 19

This would work fine and no concerns of compromising the strength of the prop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	903.0 KB
ID:	762114  
hitechflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
These are for electric motors? Ok I found what I assume you're talking about at http://www.osengines.com/motors/moto...dimensions.pdf These would be perfect only the longest one for a 5mm motor shaft is only 25mm. The next one up (for a 6mm motor shaft would have been perfect at 34mm!
That looks like the ones. You really do need a long one. Those OS solved all my issues.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #15
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Colin,

Can you more completely identify the motor you are trying to use?
Details such as mounting bolt pattern, shaft size, etc. would be useful to know.

One "way out" idea: Hacker, in their A30, A40, 50 series of outrunners, made a glider variant with an enlongated stainless steel/ball-bearing supported drive shaft to use in small diameter fuselage front ends.

https://hackermotorusa.com/shop/airc...-12-xl-glider/

I have the A30/12/xl size: the distance between the prop drive face and the face of the motor is a whopping 58 mm. The shaft diameter for this size is 5mm which is the same as your motor. Very rugged.

Hacker also made a "glider conversion kit", comprising of the longer shaft and surrounding ball-bearing "carrier", with necessary bolts. in each motor size.

good luck,

Last edited by michaely; 11-22-2015 at 01:18 PM.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Ace View Post

I have only made two adaptors and they are really fussy to get perfect. Both times they took two trys to get them to my satisfaction. What I have done is to make a recessed nut that has a bit of an oversized shank that fits part way down inside the prop to give enough thread contact to secure the nut. True Turn as has quite a few options and they advertise the adapters as being longer than the stock or regular ones. http://www.truturn.com/product_line.html

Dennis
Doesn't seem to be too interested in Tru Turn.... have checked their website and see that they are now making bolt on shafts in 3 and 4 bolt setups. too bad they don't give shaft length or useable shat length taking into account the nut and washer.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #17
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I have never had a problem with the stock adaptors using electric props. I have had tight fits using standard props but I still used the electric spinners which have a thinner back plate.

Dennis
Old 11-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #18
wollins
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Colin M

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaely View Post
Colin,

Can you more completely identify the motor you are trying to use?
Details such as mounting bolt pattern, shaft size, etc. would be useful to know.
It's the NTM Prop Drive 35-48 Series 900KV.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FQ8vaQodHv8COQ
wollins is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #19
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Ouch makes it hard when there is no measurement data on the end of the motor. The only way I could see would be to measure it up and try and cross reference it.

Dennis
Old 11-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #20
wollins
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Colin M

Total Props: 1

Ok I'll get some of those numbers for you
wollins is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in