Mounting Fuel Tanks - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #1
bweight
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

Total Props: 0
Mounting Fuel Tanks

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys, I've got a question for all you master builders

Anyways, I've got 2 11oz Sullivan saddle tanks that I'm going to be placing in my Avro Arrow DF, and I was kind of curious as to exactly how I mount them? I was thinking of Epoxying them to the fuse but then I was told that they would rattle loose from the vibration. By the same person, I was told to use Silicone and just gob it in there and it should hold.

There are no mounts for the tanks, and it's proving to be quite difficult for me to fix these in place. Would anyone have some insight into this problem of mine?

Thanks a ton in advance.
bweight is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Silicone or goop will work.

Beware of fuel-foaming if you fasten it permanently in this fashion.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
Flyin High
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bob S

if you epoxy the tanks, or if you fasten it directly to the airframe, it will rattle and as Ron said you can get severe fuel foaming. This could make your engine stall. But I guess with silicone it should be ok.

What about wrapping them in foam, and then using elastics to fasten it down???

Old 02-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
bweight

Thanks guys.. I never thought about the foam like I usually do with my normal planes.. My concern is that I have nothing to mount them to the inside of the fuselage. I suppose I can use eye hooks and screw it into the fuse, however they're not very thick so I don't want it to protrude from the side..

What other experiences do people have with mounting saddle tanks on a DF jet?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Hi Bweight,

If you could show us a picture, or better describe the mounting, I think we would have a better idea of the problem you are facing.

From your description, I'm not sure if they are being mounted inside a fuselage (in a confined space) or out. Can you describe the positioning of the tanks in a little more detail?

Fly4fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
chuck_zc
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Charlie L.
Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Total Props: 2
Epoxy the eye hooks in place. Dress makers hooks are perfect for it.
chuck_zc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
bweight

Wayne, I'm at work, but I've got a few images from my thread showing the bottom part of the plane.

Here is basically where the tanks will be placed. (On either side of the engine, up against the inner walls of the fuselage - In front of the Landing Gear). Keep in mind that this is a Byron Pusher setup so you are looking at the back of the plane going to the front in this picture below.

I am also going to be installing an 8oz 3rd tank in there as well and I think I'm going to run into the same type of situation that I'm seeing right now with the mains.

As for the hooks, I'll have to start looking for some with short threads so I don't go through the balsa all the way

Thanks for the help guys. It's always good to know that your questions will be answered, and there's always multiple ways to get past a problem.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
I could be totally out to lunch, but I would consider fastening a couple of good sized loops of Velcro tape in there, fastened to the nearest solid surface, wrap a bit of foam around the tank and secure it with the Velcro, ensuring there is plenty of overlap at the ends. Think that might work?

Dave

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:14 PM   #9
bweight

Hmmm.. I suppose it would work. I think my dad's got some velcro at his place that I can try hooking up. I'm only worried about the tank sliding front to back when in flight.. I guess another spin off the velcro attempt would be to velcro part of the actual tank to the inside wall of the fuse AND use 2 or 3 straps to further secure it in place..
Old 02-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #10
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
Or get some light weight fabric strapping or heavy ribbon, make harness of it (2 straps around the tank transverse radius, and one on the longitudinal radius) have one end open and fastened with Velcro, and fasten the harness securely to the fuse. (Sort of like the 5 point harness race drivers use!)

Dave

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in