First nose in hover attempt = instant crash - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 09-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #31
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Re: First nose in hover attempt = instant crash

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensidus197217 View Post
Thanks Rick so basically if I have it in the sensitivity channel I can switch between positioning mode and balancing mode but not take the flymenter out of it all together. At least that is what I get out of the instructions.
Jim it really depends on whether your radio has a on off on switch that can be asigned

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #32
urbanking
RCC Apprentice

I am: David
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx6i
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0

From my personal experience, the height issue that you mentioned in the original post is key. If you got two mistakes high, or even three I find that I get WAY more comfortable, and even if you make a mistake your heli is ok. When I was learning I started going to a larger field than my front yard and went much higher and I progressed much faster.
urbanking is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:32 AM   #33
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

belcom I have been trying that technique you suggested above today and I can see the merits in it. A couple of times dumbthumb came into the picture but if I give a little forward elevator it buys time to get oriented again. I think this will be the ticket for me . Thanks
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #34
belcom
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Vlad K
Radio of choice:
JR X9503
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 8

Cool, keep at it. It takes a lot of practice for the brain to realize automatically were to push the stick. At first I was struggling a lot but then at some point I said f#@$ it I'm going to fly and not care if I crash. As soon as I got rid of the shakiness in the knees my brain started functioning properly. Otherwise it would just freeze up and fingers would do the same. Also what I noticed helps a lot is you have to learn to move the tail when needed to recover. It moves fast so you have more than enough time to recover from nose in to tail in and correct it into stable hover. But take it slow, don't rush. That's what ended up costing me loads of $$ in the beginning. I still crash sometimes but for completely different reasons nowadays.
belcom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #35
Gizmodude
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Richard L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX10 / Vbar Neo / V-Touch
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 14

I agree with belocme and most folks here. I am personally still working on my "nose in" orientation and I am determined to win! The figure 8 technique is great idea! Also on days not so nice for flying I use a flight sim just to practice , practice , practice the basics. At least with a sim yo ucan try some crazy stuff and not worry about the results..my inverted tail in hover is coming along...but seriouisly get the basics down pat no matter how long it takes! In the long run it will make you a better heli pilot!

Cheers
Gizmodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #36
MarkToo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mark E
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 4

For what it's worth, I'll add my .02 as well.

Most of the time I've seen folks recommend to the new guy to learn hovering in every orientation first, then move on to other things.

Personally, that wouldn't have worked for me and I believe it's not practical to learn that way for many others as well.

Once I could safely hover tail in, I began to carefully fly back and forth. Each time you fly away and turn around to come back, you are effectively nose in. Doing this 'till you're bored to tears is teaching your fingers the correct stick movements with the nose pointed at you - weather your brain realises this or not. After a time, instead of just flying past yourself again, bring the heli to a stop side in, in front of you - even just momentarily, then continue on. You can do this until you are comfortable giving a nose in stop a try. Since you are now familiar with forward flight regardless of whether the heli is flying toward you or away, you can immediately go back to forward flight if you feel uncomfortable at any time.

There are as many ways to skin this cat as there are opinions. And, they are all valid but, chances are one way is going to work the best for you. Don't get to caught up with trying to learn in the same manner as someone else (me or anyone), and find what works for you.

One thing I have figured out is flying helicopters is not a process of learning in distinct steps. It's more of a (I don't like this word but...), holistic experience. If you don't try to define very specific challenges, and just let yourself and your fingers learn all the basics on their own, you will find that they do just that. Then you can look back and tick off all those very distinct skills as something you are able to do.

I hope this makes a bit of sense. Don't be too hard on yourself and don't get talked in to trying things you just don't feel like doing before you know you can.

Most importantly, have fun 'cause it is a blast isn't it?

Mark
Old 10-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #37
Gizmodude
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Richard L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX10 / Vbar Neo / V-Touch
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 14

Hey MarkToo, glad to see your still 'kickin' , have not heard form you since the invite to fly this summer. Hope all is well...and hope to see you at the field next spring/summer at Hespeler Model Aviators..will have to wait till the next invite......

Take Care
Old 10-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #38
MarkToo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mark E
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmodude View Post
Hey MarkToo, glad to see your still 'kickin' , have not heard form you since the invite to fly this summer. Hope all is well...and hope to see you at the field next spring/summer at Hespeler Model Aviators..will have to wait till the next invite......

Take Care
Hi Richard. Its been a very busy year-and-a-bit on all fronts here. I can count on one hand the number of times I've flown...

Things are however great! I'm hoping to be able to be more active with the extra-curricular activities this coming season. You are welcome at our field - heck we'd like to have you as a club member!

Maybe some winter flying this year? Keep in touch.

/hijack off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in