Newbie Questions - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss nitro RC vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
White_Snake

Total Props: 0
Newbie Questions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
#1: Where do you all take the engine temp from?
I have been checking right on top of the glow plug.

#2: Will the engine run hotter during break in period?
My K5.9 was running in the low 300* range until i richened it up a fair bit, but there was still lots of smoke when it was running hot.

#3: What happens when the Receiver gets out of range?

R/C= Savage XL
White_Snake is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Jiver
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3
Re: Newbie Questions

#1: Yes, you could take the temperature on top of glow plug, that's where I take the temperature reading.

#2: The engine should run slightly warm, you want some heat to build up in order for the internal parts to "seat" during break-in. Run a full tank or two and then begin to lean the HSN a couple clicks and continue to break-in. I usually like to run approximately ten tanks before tuning for performance, but, that's me! Make sure for break-in, you set the needles, both HSN & LSN to factory settings. For Savage engines, both needles should be flush with the needle sleeve. There should be lots of smoke and performance quite low during break-in.

#3: Should the receiver get out of range, the reaction will depend on how you set your "failsafe", if any! Make sure you re-bind with neutral steering and throttle at idle or a little bit of brakes applied. This way, if you happen to turn off the radio but forget to turn off the receiver, your servo would be safe from burning out because you have full brakes set during "failsafe"!

Hope this helps?

Have fun...

Thanks,

Gordon

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725

Last edited by Jiver; 11-19-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
White_Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiver View Post
#1: Yes, you could take the temperature on top of glow plug, that's where I take the temperature reading.
Good to know, Thanks!
#2: The engine should run slightly warm, you want some heat to build up in order for the internal parts to "seat" during break-in. Run a full tank or two and then begin to lean the HSN a couple clicks and continue to break-in. I usually like to run approximately ten tanks before tuning for performance, but, that's me! Make sure for break-in, you set the needles, both HSN & LSN to factory settings. For Savage engines, both needles should be flush with the needle sleeve. There should be lots of smoke and performance quite low during break-in.
Thanks you, good information!
#3: Should the receiver get out of range, the reaction will depend on how you set your "failsafe", if any! Make sure you re-bind with neutral steering and throttle at idle or a little bit of brakes applied. This way, if you happen to turn off the radio but forget to turn off the receiver, your servo would be safe from burning out because you have full brakes set during "failsafe"!
Also good info!
Hope this helps?

Have fun...

Thanks,

Gordon

Old 11-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Jiver
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:

If you are planning to be running nitro engines during the winter months, you would need to richen the mixture to compensate for the cold.

It is better to be on the "slightly" rich side anyway...

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
White_Snake

Also good info. Thanks.

One more.
How far does the AVERAGE unit travel from the transmitter before losing signal. (don't know how else to word it)
Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Jiver
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:

Well, the range of any given radio depends on many factors. However, I'd like to see a range of over 200 feet or more!

You should always do a range check; place the vehicle on a block so that the wheels are off the ground to prevent run-away, lower or put your antennae down, walk away from the model about 150 feet (approximately 50 paces) and make sure you have total control.

Raise the antennae, put your model on the ground, now, you are ready to have lots of fun...

Thanks,

Gordon

MAAC 77725
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in