Imac in BC - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 02:52 PM   #21
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
[quote="scaleguy"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmanr2
IOh yeah rolling circle! ... you better start in Sportsman!
One manoeuver doesn't make a good pilot. I would know. I'm looking forward to talking home the "good sportsmanship award" or the basic bottom feeder "award" LOL
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #22
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleguy
Quote:
IOh yeah rolling circle! ... you better start in Sportsman!
One manoeuver doesn't make a good pilot. I would know. I'm looking forward to talking home the "good sportsmanship award" or the basic bottom feeder "award" LOL
Hey TOP GUN used to give out a T-Shirt each year..... "LAST PLACE REALLY SUCKS!"
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #23
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleguy
Don't forget about food though.... we get really hungry!
What do you guys do. If I had my way I'd have hamburgers and hotdogs ect. Sell them for cheap and make a few bucks for the club. BUT, Everyone always talks about foodsafe and lawsuits. If we got precooked burgers and hotdogs and used common sense with the condiments I don't see why not.
What do you guys do at contests?

Old 12-10-2005, 05:43 PM   #24
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
If I had my way I'd have hamburgers and hotdogs ect. Sell them for cheap and make a few bucks for the club.
Yup!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #25
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

I was just thinking about prizes. I think I want a big prize for the guy that shows up with the worst plane. Not a joke prize but a real one because coming out and giving it a shot is what it's all about no matter what you fly or what your ability.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:26 AM   #26
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24

Quote:
I was just thinking about prizes. I think I want a big prize for the guy that shows up with the worst plane. Not a joke prize but a real one because coming out and giving it a shot is what it's all about no matter what you fly or what your ability.
How about something seperate for perhaps Junior Members? Like maybe a 6.0 size Extra or Edge kit? Of course there should be more then one Junior entered to do this or mayb not. Again make it a luck of the draw type prize. All the Juniors names go into a hat and someone draws it. Just seems to make it fairer this way then trying to do a judgement thing.

If you do the worst airplane thing be carefull you just don't get guys showing up with the worst thing they got in their hanger hoping to scoop the "big prize". If you go with this make stipulation that they have to complete all the rounds to qualify, not just one flight. Alternately you could try and keep that prize a secret so they don't know there is one for worst aircraft... corse the cat is out of the bag now!

How about furthest travelled to attend?

Start digging up sponsors now as most of the companies like Great Planes and others set their budgets by February and if your request for donations of prizes comes to late you might miss out.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Old 12-11-2005, 06:55 AM   #27
Bob Hudson
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Bob H

Total Props: 1
don't get hung up on prizes

Russ,

As you travel around to a lot of (IMAC) contests you will find that most contests don't do prizes.

Most guys come for the fun of it and the camaraderie, they don't "expect" prizes.

Prizes are nice, but don't get too hung up on it, specially for a "first contest"

What they do want is to fly, as much as possible, so I would concentrate more on how you organise and run your contest.

Learn how to get your pilots meetings started early on Saturday and Sunday so you can get the planes in the air on time,

Learn how to keep the guys in the "ready box" so you don't have any delays on the flight line,

Set a date, advertise it, post it, they WILL come !!

Bob

I've been doing this since '97, and trust me, 8 out of 10 contests don't have prizes.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:21 AM   #28
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

The only official "contest" I was at was the Tournament of Rookies in PG. I think they still do it. but I'm not sure. The whole concept was to get newbies to come out. They had a prize table, and the way it worked was last place in the lowest class got to pick the first item. Didn't matter what it was (I grabbed a 60 sized GP Cub kit that was there, after some shoving by everyone else). Then second least, third last, til you got to the top guy. From what I remember, the top competitors would usually go for the fuel. Most of the tools and stuff there they didn't need, and I truly felt that they enjoyed watching the newer, and less experienced guys making their choices.

If I recall, there were lots of prizes, and they went throught the list twice. I passed on my second pick, and several others did as well.

Of course, at the time I was there, they were into their 10th year, and there was a tonne of sponsors. A couple of the local hobby stores, a couple mail order ones as well, and a bunch of stuff donated by flyers etc.

As has been stated, the higher level competitors won't come for the prizes, they come for the challenge and the experience.

Mike
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:40 AM   #29
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24

Just don't forget Plaques or something for 1st thru 3rd in each class you are running.. that is expected more then prizes.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Old 12-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #30

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canhos
The only official "contest" I was at was the Tournament of Rookies in PG. I think they still do it. but I'm not sure. The whole concept was to get newbies to come out. They had a prize table, and the way it worked was last place in the lowest class got to pick the first item. Didn't matter what it was (I grabbed a 60 sized GP Cub kit that was there, after some shoving by everyone else). Then second least, third last, til you got to the top guy. From what I remember, the top competitors would usually go for the fuel. Most of the tools and stuff there they didn't need, and I truly felt that they enjoyed watching the newer, and less experienced guys making their choices.

If I recall, there were lots of prizes, and they went throught the list twice. I passed on my second pick, and several others did as well.

Of course, at the time I was there, they were into their 10th year, and there was a tonne of sponsors. A couple of the local hobby stores, a couple mail order ones as well, and a bunch of stuff donated by flyers etc.

As has been stated, the higher level competitors won't come for the prizes, they come for the challenge and the experience.

Mike
Tournament of Rookies has not been around for a long time, basically since Gordy Jack quit flying. All the pattern contests in BC are centered around Van. Victoria area, but this year there is a new one (actually two new events) in Chilliwack.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in