RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Ken E
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Question for Saito guys

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a question for all you Saito guys. I'm putting a Saito 180 in a 74'' EF and I'd like to put the fuel tank about 6" back from the fire wall. Will I need a pump and what kind works best? or can I just use muffler pressure. I've had two inverted Saito's(100, 56) on muffler pressure and they both worked great but the fuel tanks were right up against the fire wall. Any idea's or suggestions gratefully accepted . Thanks, ken
Ken E is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41
Re: Question for Saito guys

You may not get consistent running that far back.
I had a Saito 150 in my Funtana X100 this summer. I moved the tank back against the wing tube. I ended up having to run the engine richer than normal or it would die during highG maneuvers with a low throtle setting.
Also the low/midrange could never be set right.
ONce I moved the tank back up to the fire wall and shortened the lines, everything worked great.
I would suggest a pump if you are set on moving the tank that far back.
A Perry vp30 pump works great and are not too expensive.
Once everything is hooked up, Tach it max rpm and then back it off 200. It should pull like a horse all day long.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
JimMoss
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1

Hi Ken

No experience with the 180, however I have 4 Saito 91's in my B17 and the 2 engines with the retractable gear are approx 8" in front of the tanks, and I have no problems with those.

Now I am not doing very many unlimited vertical climbs with it but in your case there is only one way to find out.

Try ground running the plane with the engine up and see how it works first.
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!

Last edited by JimMoss; 10-25-2008 at 07:59 PM.
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Mine would work great on the ground. But for those extended vertical lines or hovering it would not. It would even loose power when I would accelerate on the runway to take off. Thats why I had richen more than normal.
Compared to all the other Saitos flying at our field, I had a very thick smoke trail.
But as Jim said, try it first. You may not have a problem at all.
I can only say what happened to me.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Ken E
RCC Contributor

I guess I'll order the Perry pump before I run the engine that way I can run it in on the bench with the pump installed. That way I can put it in the plane and It will be good to go. Thanks you guys. ken
Old 10-30-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
HIGH FLYER

Wink Re: Question for Saito guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I guess I'll order the Perry pump before I run the engine that way I can run it in on the bench with the pump installed. That way I can put it in the plane and It will be good to go. Thanks you guys. ken
I would try the VP3o for sure, I have a QQ 73 " with the 150 and it leans out inverted and up lines with the tank at recomended install at wing tube. Has never dead sticked but its not right for sure. I have the pump but no experiance and scared . Would like to hear how this works for you. The pump I have was given / loaned to me with no background and is not new. I think you should try yours first !!
HIGH FLYER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
rcpilot
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Maqsood

Use a little header tank, 2 ozs behind the firewall and then put the main one on your CG.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXS...hYlGsXmhcYNn9g
rcpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

I have had 2 Saito 150's and 2 of the 1.80's setup in various configurations, usually mounted sideways but never inverted.

I found that as long as the tank was set so that the outlet of the tank is approx at the same level as the carb input I had very little problems if any even with lines as long a 6" to 8" and using muffler pressure. All but one of the planes these engines were installed in were very aerobatic planes, used for IMAC competitions where I wanted the tank as close to the C of G as possible.

Buy the pump if you must but I would try it first before installing a pump as has been recommended. Why add extra expense and something else to have to install, adding extra weight, and to fiddle with if its not really necessary or needed??

Anyway, all the best with the project and please let us know how it works out!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Ed Smith

Get rid of the Saito and use OS with a bladder tank on the balance point. See the picture, U-Can -Do, OS 91, see the distance from tank to engine.

Ed S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CG Tank 001.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	39755  
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
Ken E
RCC Contributor

Too late for all that, I already have the pump and it's already installed on the engine. It's all set up , prop, spinner and all ready to bolt on to the run in table, all I need is a decent day as it's been cold and windy here, but I can wait. ken
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in