Simple Foam Cutter - Page 7 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #61
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0
Re: Simple Foam Cutter

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi John

I will likely try the tubing for my 9 foot bow as it should be lighter than the wooden one and it won't warp.

I am particularly interested in how you secure the cutting wire to the 1/4 inch rods.

Do you use control line wire in both bows?
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #62
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrocat View Post
Gee! A couple days away from a thread like this and it's growing like a weed!

I did some digging around on the INternet and found the website where I got my original meter design.
http://www.nsrca.org/technical/tip_t...wer_supply.htm
Wow, primitive. At least jam a 555 timer in there for some repeatability and linearity so that you can take out that wasteful long/short resistor.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #63
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I secure my cutting wire by putting a couple of wraps around the end with the groove and basically tying a knot or similar. There are no connectors on the wire. The other end I use 14 guage extension wire and on the ends there are 12/10 guage yellow crimp connectors. I use a heavy soldering gun to solder the 1/4" ID connectors to the ends of the piano wire. All connections are soldered and the only place I ever use acid core is clip to the piano wire. It gives me a good connection but also has to be cleaned properly. I also use the U shaped clips on the other ends instead of banana plugs. My banana plugs are the type you unscrew and then can get a good connection. The jacks are the weak point if they start getting loose or warn. There is a pic of my vertical cutter also.
Make sure everything is taped and insulated with heat shrink when making these. Some pics of my manual setup.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow-end.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	40119   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS-Bow.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	40120   Click image for larger version

Name:	vert-cut.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	40121  

Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #64
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

For any interest this is a couple of pic's of my CNC cutter. What is nice about this is you do not need a template and everything is adjustable for sizing on your cut. You can also adjust for the gap your wire leaves when cutting.
This is made with the Hobbycnc 4 axis board (not the foamcutter board) with the wire heat addition added. (4) 80oz. steppers and the screws are 3/8"/16 ready rod. The upright and bottom tracks are ball drawer slides which I modified and screwed on to 8"x4' shelving. This makes it so you can vary the length of cut or for storage. For setting up I clamp it to the bench. As usual it is a copy from the net with modifications so I can get rid of the play.
I used the 4 axis board as I am going to CNC my mill drill which is partially done at this point.
If anybody has any questions or interest you can pm me. I would only to happy to help.
John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CNC-PS.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	40122   Click image for larger version

Name:	CNC-rail.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	40123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back-CNC.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	40124  
Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #65
igor_throw_the_switch
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad Kacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post
Wow, primitive. At least jam a 555 timer in there for some repeatability and linearity so that you can take out that wasteful long/short resistor.
The worst part of it is having that resistor immediately below the on/off switch (my stupid). It's not a problem if you remember to turn it off after each cut, but my dad cut out some styrofoam snowflakes a few years back and had it on for about an hour. Burned his finger pretty good when he tried to turn it off.

It's also very dumb to be cycling this circuit on the secondary side of the Tx. It takes a little while for the voltage to rise enough to trigger the gate on the triac - I have no control (read no current) between 0 to about 30% of the dial. When this sucker finally does kick in, I think it's a bit too hot for white beadboard. Not terribly hot, but I wish I had a bit better control of the low end of things.....Also, don't forget that the output of this circuit is *not* going thru a transformer (which would act as a choke and smooth out the waveform).

This is why I recommend doing the chopping (dimmer) on the primary side of the Tx. Smoother output, and more adjustment down low.

And yes, I should have said that you would need an *AC* ammeter to measure the current. It might not be accurate, but once you know the value for *your* system, then repeatability shouldn't be an issue.

The shunt I described I actually use to measure input (DC) current to my ESC's - not terribly accurate either, but it gets me into the ballpark, and that's all I really need as a sport flier.

I think I'll be fighting hi-tech all the way to my grave (despite my field of work) . I believe in keeping things as simple as possible.

Brad

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287

Last edited by igor_throw_the_switch; 11-10-2008 at 09:40 AM.
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #66
igor_throw_the_switch
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad Kacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post
I secure my cutting wire by putting a couple of wraps around the end with the groove and basically tying a knot or similar.
I've found that knots in the cutting wire are weak points. I pass the wire thru a pair of eyescrews (one at each end of the bow) and then basically screw them down to the wood of the bow. I pass the wire around each screw that secures them a few times, and use a washer on said screw. When I tried using knots, the wire would break at those knots.

Brad
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slicer7.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	40200  

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287

Last edited by igor_throw_the_switch; 11-10-2008 at 09:50 AM.
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #67
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

One final word from me - I just found quite a nice article by Laddie Mikulasko at
http://www.emfso.org/electric_flight...oam_models.asp
He covers foam cutting nicely; not too deep but succinctly.
He should know if anybody does!
You sure opened up a pirates chest here, Benji!!

Edit: it won't d##m well print 'foam' right - I dunno?? Seems to work fine anyway!!?

Last edited by Spitball; 11-10-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #68
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

I didn't think there was enough chat about it here on RCCanada. A few posts about CNC jobs, but that is WAAY too out of my league.

I'm glad my post has gotten some people thinking. I do wish that I had a safer box though. Any thoughts on covering the "crate" design with screen from a screen door? Can I borrow your staple gun?

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #69
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Hey Spitball, just saw your edit. The software for RCC automatically shortens links. This works great for those links that are about 3 pages long, but looks strange when it only chops a bit out! Don't worry, the link works fine.

Ben

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #70
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

I use a circuit that is not to hard to makefrom the web. From the diagram I use a Radio Shack 24 volt transformer with a bridge rectifier for input. I then use this circuit and it works for me. The LM338 will handle 5 amps and you very the voltage for the cut. You don't need 24 volts output but usually about half. The regulator does not get very warm for the amount of time we use it. The schematic shows -12 volt and +12 volts but it works with -0 and +24 volts. The idea is for me to be simple but have good adjustment and the resistors change there value with heat. I may be wrong but that is my thoughts for today.
John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LM338K_Regulator_709.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	40228  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in