cncarinspector
RCC Apprentice

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Question Questions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK, I know that these questions will fall into different catagories but it's easier to type them only once.

Please help me. As I have mentioned before I am retuning to RC planes after a few year hiatus. What I need to know is:

1. Which radio system is best, the Futaba FASST, or Spectrum DSM2? I should tell you that the minimum channels I want is 6.
2. I want to build an SIG Senior Kadet using electric power. Any comments on motor size, building etc.
3. I also want to build this Senior Kadet with 2 wings half's to be able to get in my car, any advice on to how to build the wing in two.

I think that is it for now, as you might have guessed I haven't been in the air in awhile. I want to get back in electrics and re-teach myself to fly hence all the dumb questions, any and all information would be appreciated.

Have a good flying day.....pouring rain here right now!

Regards
Ron
cncarinspector is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16
Re: Questions

No such thing as a dumb question!

Sharing who thinks what is the best radio is just a FORD CHEVY fight. It's all a matter of opinion. The truth be known, all of the leading radios are doing well. Enquire as to what others are using at the field you will be visiting the most. This will be beneficial for programming help and training with buddy boxes. The best piece of advice, buy the best that you can afford. If for some reason the hobby does not work out for you, re-sale options will be higher, Futaba.

The chinese seem to have good electric gear, Turnigy, Zippy batteries etc I prefer AXI, Castle Creations, Jetti, Thunder Power etc!

Building the Kadet, it would be easy to construct a center section from the root ends of both wings hard mounted to the fuselage. Have each wing panel plug into the center section (many options for that) and implement working struts.

Welcome back!
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6

1. Depends on how you define best and how that matches your needs (usually defined as desires).

2. I have no clue about electrics or electric conversions. Need info from someone else.

3. Kadet Senior ARF comes with two piece, bolt on wing. It also has ailerons. Minimum radio requirement is 4 channels- rudder, elevator, ailerons and throttle.

Kit built Kadet Senior has one piece wing, with no ailerons, considerably more dihedral than ARF version and has wing retained by rubber bands. Minimum radio requirement is 3 channels - rudder, elevator and throttle.

The ARF would solve your wing issue. If kit built, you'll need to make some mods.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #4

Total Props: 57

By Far the Specktrum DX-6 is the better choice. If you call your LHS. they will tell you how they are selling 7 out of 10 Spectrum radios vrs Futaba. An even better choice would be the DX-7 For a litle more money youll get a much better radio.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
By Far the Specktrum DX-6 is the better choice. If you call your LHS. they will tell you how they are selling 7 out of 10 Spectrum radios vrs Futaba. An even better choice would be the DX-7 For a litle more money youll get a much better radio.
That's a pretty bold statement
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
cncarinspector
RCC Apprentice

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 3

I thought that the Fatuba FAAST system was both easier to use and didn't glitch as much as the Spectrum.
cncarinspector is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

The spektrum systems don't glitch. They used to have an issue with brownouts from too low a voltage but that's was fixed a while ago.

As to easier to use... that depends on the user. Some find the menu system easier on the spektrum/jr and others on Futaba.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
hellyeh
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Gerald R
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncarinspector View Post
I thought that the Fatuba FAAST system was both easier to use and didn't glitch as much as the Spectrum.
One thing to consider regarding radio purchase , that hasn't been mentioned . Hold all of them and decide what feels right for you , after all , that is what you will be doing with it . Since they are both about the same (i'm slightly biased towards Futaba) as far as functionality and whatnot , go with what feels right for you . I think you are making a good decision with Futaba , but that's just my opinion .
hellyeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #9

Total Props: 57

A more honest way to find out the most used(user freindly), would be to go to a local event and look at what everyone is useing. Or just go to a local flying feild on a busy day and look around. I would say at our club about 75% of the people are using a DX-6,7 or JR9303 (JR builds Specktrum) We have 120 members.

Trevor
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
kirch
RCC Apprentice

I am: Richard K
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
By Far the Specktrum DX-6 is the better choice. ...
It should be pointed out that the DSM2 version is the Spektrum DX-6i. That letter "i" is important because the DX-6 was just DSM.

If you get a DX-6i you will also want to use a DSM2 receiver. DSM2 is an improvement over DSM, especially important if you are flying further away since it uses two antennas and two channels to achieve signal redundancy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in