Help buyin a T-Rex ( not available in Canada ? ) - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
Frosty

Total Props: 0
Help buyin a T-Rex ( not available in Canada ? )

Hi guys,

I'm looking at the T-Rex as my first heli.

Can any of you suggest a package to go with,
or do"s" and don'ts of what to buy and what NOT to buy ?

I've seen so many packages at helihobby.com that my head is
spinning.

I know that there is a certain motor out there that many say is the best,
the: ACN16-15-3 Mega ACn 16-15-3 Brushless

I'm not even sure if this motor is for a T-Rex however, or if it even comes in a package.

I'd love and apperciate any help with this.

What about the radio ? what's a good radio, without spending $800 ?

thanks in advance

P.S. : GreatHobbies doesn't carry the T-Rex , and so I think I will have to order from The States.... any opinions on where ? and if you ordered from the States, do they hit you hard with the import duties etc ?
Frosty is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
Good setup:

- Jazz 40-16-8 ($$ but good - has SBEC), CC35 or CC25 ESC (Good value, BEC). If you get a CC ESC, also buy the USB Phoenix Link for updates (released often) and configuration.
- Berg 6CH, Sombra Labs Shadow 3 or FMA 6 ch. RX
- Motors: several choices. Mega 16/15/3 is a good for 3S (that's what I use)
- 3S: TP2100 or TP2100 prolites LiPo battery packs. You'll need at least 10C+ rated packs. Buy 3 or 4 for flying time.
- HS56 servos (all around - you'll need 4)
- Futaba GY240 or GY401 if you can spare the extra money (remote gain - needs an additional channel, but is a faster gyro). I've got the GY401. Both work very well.
- A charger that'll do LiPos. Get a good one if you can afford it, a cheap one if you can't.
- A decent 6+ channel heli TX with 120 ccpm mixing

Go this way and you won't go wrong. If you're 3D capable, then you may want to look at 4S or 5S power options.

Buy the heli in Canada from Fly High Hobbies (RC Canada Sponsor). From the states, many use Modefo's Heli, Grand R/C, HeliProz etc. You can buy some parts from GH too (also RC Canada Sponsor) - most of you money will be spent on electronics - not the heli - buy from the people you know and trust to support you. All are good. Like anything, ask around and do your research. Hint: avoid Hell-y-Hobby. Read the forums (e.g. RCGroups and RunRyder).

Check out www.TrexTuning.com - loots of great info. Read everything.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
Frosty

Hi there thanks for the great info.

I tried googling " fly high hobbies " and "fly high hobbies Canada" and Google doesn't pick up any store

is that the name of it ? ... I'm wondering if they have a website, because Google will usually pick it up ( it always will ) so I'm puzzled.

I'd like to check out pricing but can't find the website :

thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
Heli-Flyer
RCC Contributor

Try this: www.flyhighhobbies.com

Good luck and enjoy your new T-REX.
Heli-Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
JeffElecRC
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeffrey T

My Setup

This is my TREX electronics setup:

-JustGoFly 400DH (check out the 450TH or 400DH from www.justgofly.com AKA Motor Max) ($50 from US)

-Castle Creations PHX-35 ($85 from www.zebrahobby.ca)

-BERG 5 Receiver (Was on sale at Zebra.. not anymore

-Futaba T7CAP Transmitter ($250 from hobby store)

-GWS Pico Servos (get the BB or BB + F) for the cyclic and a Hitex HS-50 for the tail (order extra gear sets!) around $20 for each of those

-Futaba GY240 gyro. I got this used so it was a good deal, but I would recommend the GY401 to start with, it has more features for future use.

I think that covers everything. Good luck. Flyhighhobbies where I go for spare TREX parts and Modefos for upgrades.
JeffElecRC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #6
Frosty

thanks for the link heliflyer.

Hi Jeff, that model of Futaba radio.... is this stricty for a heli, or could I control my Hobbico Nexstar airplane with it ?

( I'm assuming my Traxxas "BLAST" would be out of the question though, as it's a different frequency I'm sure ( 27 mhz )

Just wondering, and thanks in advance for any info.

I'm checking out that website now for the T-Rex pricing.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Jeff - good setup as well. Which batteries are you using with the 400DH - I've heard that it is highly demanding in amperage! TH is supposedly the same - eats batteries for lunch (see www.TrexTuning.com, motors section).

Note: if you get a GY401, you will need 6 a channel RX. Also, the Berg RXs are now being made by Castle Creations in the USA - they will have a new 7 channel RX coming out in the next couple of weeks (replaces the Berg 6) for $59 US (less than the 6 sold for).

I recommend the GY401 right off the start as well if you can afford it. Much faster gyro (twice as fast in processing speed) and has remote gain.

Also note that this month Align will relwase their pro version with full CF (frames, blades, stabs) and CNC upgrade parts for ~$350 US. If you want a bligned out rex from the get go, it would be more economical to wait. Note that the stock CDE and HDE are reportedly excellent stock - absolutely no need to upgrade for flying performance (one guy said the stock CDE flew better than his fully blinged-out 450X V2s).
Old 08-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #8
Frosty

Hi again Martin,

I was eating dinner and wondering about this new T-Rex heli that is coming.

Do you think this is a completely new kit T-Rex ? When you say a "Pro" version does this mean this is an upgrade for the 450XL CDE ( ccpm )
version here: http://www.flyhighhobbies.com/produc...roducts_id=804

:

I'm very new to RC helis and all stuff RC so sorry for the newbie question.

I emailed the people at FlyhighHobbies and they have the T-Rex 450 XL in stock. So I would want to hold off on buying this then eh ? .... or is this new one that is coming out a new totally new version of the 450 XL ?

As you can see I'm totally confused
Old 08-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #9
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Sorry to add to the confusion!

If you are new to helis, then buy the stock 450XL CDE or HDE. You will crash and you may as well replace cheap parts, although the nice Align CNC parts seem to hold up very well in crashes.

The "new" trex will basically be all their recent upgrade parts packaged as complete heli. It will be a eCCPM Trex 450XL with CF frame, boom, blades and CNC head, tailcase and tail rotor assembly. You can accomplish the same thing byuying their upgrade parts, you will just spend a little more doing it, that's all.

Bottom line - you don't need the upgraded parts to learn how to fly, and as you crash and break the stock plastic parts you can replace them with CNC and CF if you want.

In the weeks you're wiating for the pro version, you could be flying while the weather is nice. What are you waiting for?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:53 AM   #10
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Frosty, don't forget that the rumoured $350 US (~$500 CDN) for the pr version doesn't include anything but the basic airframe (no motor, ESC, RX, servos, batteries, charger). For the same price you can buy a Raptor 50...

The basic version (450XL HDE and CDE) flys great stock and you can pocket the extra money for the spares you'll use learning how to fly it.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in