Credit Card Info Stolen From Great Hobbies. - Page 12 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #111
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Re: Credit Card Info Stolen From Great Hobbies.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am pretty sure Jim, Garry and the rest of the GH team understand that many long term, and loyal customers understand how things like this can happen - and it has absolutely nothing to do with their business practices and quality of service.

As they say, $hit happens. That is why all major credit card do not hold the card holder responsible for thefts such as this. They will learn how to better prevent this kind of thing in the future but as long as there are people who try like hell to steal card info, there will be breaches of security. If not at GH's then somewhere else.

The ONLY way to prevent this from ever happening is to cut up your credit cards and deal with cash.

I for one will continue to do the majority of my hobby purchases with Great Hobbies and I know a lot of other modelers who feel the same.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!

Last edited by AJCoholic; 01-15-2011 at 10:52 AM.
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #112
zdsh13
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: ***

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH1 View Post

We deliberated greatly over whether or not to send out a mass e-mail notifying everyone, but to be honest, there were only a handful of reports of issues compared to the vast number of people who have ordered from us using the system.

If anyone has placed an order on-line with us prior to the last week of November, please check your statements to ensure there are no unauthorized charges.

If you have any specific concerns, please bring it up with us directly (management at the Stratford location) after the Christmas weekend.

I'm disappointed that you would make your decision not to contact potentially affected people based on only a handful of reports, when most people might not have noticed until their credit card statement arrived in the mail 30 days later....

The right thing to do would have been to notify all the web orders via email from the time of the hack till you fixed the breach...

I can't trust your business anymore, especially if your not looking out for your customers...

Sorry...

Last edited by zdsh13; 01-15-2011 at 12:26 PM.
zdsh13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #113

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdsh13 View Post
I'm disappointed that you would make your decision not to contact potentially affected people based on only a handful of reports, when most people might not have noticed until their credit card statement arrived in the mail 30 days later....

The right thing to do would have been to notify all the web orders via email from the time of the hack till you fixed the breach...

I can't trust your business anymore, especially if your not looking out for your customers...

Sorry...
Precisely why merchants do not mass email in cases like this. They would loose many more customers from those who have not been affected than the few they will loose because they do not understand these things do happen. It is very unlikely it came from a breach of their data base. Most are caused by either an employee of the company or the company that is hired to facilitate on line or phone orders. Any time one of my cards has been compromised its been a bit of an inconvenience but it hasn’t cost me anything. Like AJ it wouldn’t stop me from shopping there in the future. I don’t think the company will loose any sleep over your lack of patronage. It too is just the cost of doing business in this day and age.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #114
zdsh13
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: ***

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
I don’t think the company will loose any sleep over your lack of patronage. It too is just the cost of doing business in this day and age.

Dennis
Your probably right, but thats the great thing about being a customer.... You get to choose who you want to buy from
Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #115
bobreib
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
FRSKY Taranis & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

From the number of people who were not contacted, including me, you wonder if they really know the extent of the fraudulent activity. Was their site hacked, or was this an inside job ? I just received the paperwork for MasterCard this week to deal with the $3600 worth of bogus charges on my card made during November.
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #116
Nitro Newf
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jamie H
Radio of choice:
DX3R
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

This explains why my CC company canceled my card and issued a new one without telling me why. All they said was there had been a breach somewhere and they couldn't tell me where. I had no bogus charges, but someone may have tried. My card is never left with credit available. It has a small limit, and I keep it there. When I am ready to make an order, I transfer the money at that time.
There is a tip, just keep your CC MAXED out and you will be OK.
PKZ ICON A5 - HZ SUPER CUB (BL)
Nitro Newf is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #117
robonline
RCC Contributor

I am: rob z

Two years ago when FMA Direct had a breach they emailed all of their past customers and posted on all of the major boards to inform their customers. I got one of those emails. They took time to do this and did not hurt their business.
This thread was made to inform people of a potential problem with their CCs and to be vigilant when checking their statements.
There are no unworldly innocents here, we all know what the score is as far as fraud and internet theft. Dissatisfaction with GH has nothing to do with being naive.
It's odd that all of the guys who say they don't care about this, and think no one else should care either, just happen not to be involved in it. If you didn’t get your info stolen in this breach at GH, this is really none of your business.

Here is what FMA Direct posted on RC Groups.

"Fyi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For purposes of clarification, FMA is contacting customers by every means possible to notify them of the potential fraud involving credit card purchases. Posting on the forums is only one means we are using. A statement was sent in a mass e-mail last night, we have posted a statement on the FMA Direct website and a mass mailing will be distributed as soon as possible.

In addition to increased security measures already taken by our web host company, FMA is moving as rapidly as possible to establish Paypal as a means of purchase. This incident is most upsetting to FMA and we want to assure our customers that every step is being taken to rectify the situation. We appreciate all the calls and e-mails today from people who understand and who expressed appreciation for the way in which FMA has handled this unfortunate incident. Thanks also for a number of excellent suggestions from people who have been through this before and offered advice.

I know that many of our customers and friends are taking time to cancel credit cards and check accounts which takes time and effort. Even if you know that your card has not been compromised, we suggest you take the step of cancelling and having a new card issed. We apologize for the inconvenience and the worry. Believe me, we share your pain more than you can imagine.

Jamie Marks
FMA Direct
V.P., General Manager "

Last edited by robonline; 01-15-2011 at 07:48 PM.
robonline is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #118
nikole95
RCC Noob

I am: nikole95
Radio of choice:
nikole95
# of RCs: nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy View Post
Thanks guys; Just talked to my visa fraud department and they told me it is good you called and cancelled your Visa.You only have a 30 day grace period to get your money back after your bill statement so check your statements.Thanks Ross
The last purchase I made online with my CC was with GH, and guess what!? I Just received a call from the Fraud department two days ago, saying it was compromised. I only used my CC online twice this year, and the first use was in the spring. Good by GH's and thanks for not deleting my CC info
nikole95 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #119
HeliFarmer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Chris
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 6

I phoned a cc order in to them.....I'm not sure if that's more safe then entering your info on-line 'cause now somebody at their office has (had) my #. Another reason to start forcing these online retailers to adopt c.o.d. as an option. Sure c.o.d. will cost you a few bucks more but isn't that extra bit of insurance worth it? This way you don't pay until the package is at your post office and nada/zero/zilch/no credit card information is exchanged. Pretty hard to hack into that........
Old 01-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #120
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42

I don't know who FMA is but I know & use Paypal BUT based on a lot of different messages on one of the photography forums I belong to Paypal ISN'T our friend either. I've read way too many messages about issues with using Paypal, including how all those scammers claiming to be in Nigeria or wherever use it to con us into sending goods (after getting a Paypal "you've got money" email) to screw us big time. We ship, they receive, then claim it's nothing close to what they bought & Paypal takes their side & freezes the account, refunds the money etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in