Comp-Arf Extra 300 2.3m Going on a Diet - Page 7 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #61
dirtdr
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Gerald B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 5
Re: Comp-Arf Extra 300 2.3m Going on a Diet

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
gonna need another axel on the trailer

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #62
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 21

Lmao!!!
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #63
dirtdr
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

What a day!

Got to test out my charging system. I would dare to say that it cant get much better than this: (all mounted inside my 6x12 trailer)

250ah 24v Battery Bank
4x 80 watt solar panel (10amps at 24v)
2x TP820cd Chargers
1x 24v 30amp converter (for charging battery bank at home)

When I left home, Battery bank was at 25.2volts(solar panels were working a bit already)
I charged up 10 flight packs (20x 6000mah 6s packs) - total of 120ah,
I returned home with battery bank voltage of 24.9v (again, this voltage is higher than actual battery voltage because solar panels were charging)

The battery bank was able to put out enough juice to charge 4x 6s 6000mah packs simultaneously at a rate of 17 amps per pack!.

I also got a chance to try out the Emcotec Safety Power Switch. This is a magnet operated disconnect switch for the main power from the esc.
http://www.hkm-models.com/Emcotec%20Switches.html
It is especially handy on this plane, as I don't really have easy access to the batteries. I can put in the batteries, hook everything up, put canopy back on, then whenever I am ready to fly, I just pull the flag and magnet out off we go.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #64
OTTERTOK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Edward O
Radio of choice:
JR & Futaba
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdr View Post
well shoot. i mounted up the a80-8 tonite and gave her a test run. This was the original motor i wanted to put on this plane because of the higher kv rating..

performance on the -10 was good, but i figured an extra 1000 rpm would be acceptable, given the low current readings from the -10

so with the same 24-10 prop, I gave her a run. with the 6000mah nanotech 25-50c packs i could instantly see that amp draw was high when the telemetry voltage dipped right away to 42 volts. i got 7600 rpm which definately ripped on the prop..... gave one 30 second blast. then another. i was gonna shut her down after the second try to check the spinbox for amps.......

and then....

the smoke came out........

i am told that these motors need to keep the smoke inside to run properly.......

i guess i'm back to the -10

I may be missing something but I'm not understanding how you smoked the A-80-8 unless it was because of the static run up and higher RPM"s, look at this video,

Last edited by OTTERTOK; 06-19-2011 at 10:07 AM.
OTTERTOK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #65
dirtdr
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTERTOK View Post
I may be missing something but I'm not understanding how you smoked the A-80-8 unless it was because of the static run up and higher RPM"s, look at this video,

If they were getting 6000watts with that setup, then they were only in the 130amp range. I am estimating I was pulling 190ish when I tried the A80-8 with the same prop.

Seeing as how it's the same cell count, same motor, same controller (almost), and same prop as I tried, the only piece left out is battery itself. If they had a softer battery, that would limit the power available.

When I got new batteries for all my smaller stuff this year, I noticed many of my smaller planes were over-propped. I made smoke with a couple when I replaced a 3cell 1800 12c for a new 3cell 2200 45c..... the old soft batteries wouldn't feed enough power to the other equipment to burn em.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #66
OTTERTOK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR & Futaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdr View Post
If they were getting 6000watts with that setup, then they were only in the 130amp range. I am estimating I was pulling 190ish when I tried the A80-8 with the same prop.

Seeing as how it's the same cell count, same motor, same controller (almost), and same prop as I tried, the only piece left out is battery itself. If they had a softer battery, that would limit the power available.

When I got new batteries for all my smaller stuff this year, I noticed many of my smaller planes were over-propped. I made smoke with a couple when I replaced a 3cell 1800 12c for a new 3cell 2200 45c..... the old soft batteries wouldn't feed enough power to the other equipment to burn em.
I see I guess I'll have to be careful then when I get to setting up my stuff as I'm not to wise on the watts, amps, batteries and prop thing yet, so back to school for me. Did you send the A80-8 in for repair.

Last edited by OTTERTOK; 06-19-2011 at 12:37 PM.
OTTERTOK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #67
dirtdr
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

One MUST be wise to the watts... I learned the hard way. Now I always have my inline amp meter on for the first time i run any prop/new battery/new esc setting..

The a-80-8 went in for repair. Looks like it will be replaced, but I pay shipping.

The a-80-8 is really meant for a 10s system. After I cooked mine, I tried out the online calculator at castle creations website. This calculator seems to be very accurate as compared to what I have seen in my real-world setups.

According to this the max prop for the a-80-8 on 12s would be 22-8 (or 22-10 with extreme throttle management). A 24-10 on 12s shows 190amp, or close to 8000watt!!

http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm?castle

My current setup is the a80-10 on 12s 8000mah 35c with 24-12 th mezlik. I am getting 130 amp max (static or in the air). with this setup I still must not give full power for more than 10 seconds, or my controller will start to get warm.... I have switched to the castle ICE HV 160, and am able to view the data logs from flights.... From this I can see that my 21lb comp will hover at 2200 watts (or around 40 amps) average amp draw for the whole flights is about 30 amps...
Old 06-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #68
OTTERTOK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR & Futaba

That's right on their going to replace it for you at no cost. Man there are so many different combination's being used on these motors that it's mind boggling when you read what everybody is using for combos.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #69
dirtdr
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Well I am happy with what I have now... the a-80-10 with 24-12 on 12s would give a da-85 a run for its money. It might be a different story on a warbird or something that required higher power for longer periods of time...
Old 06-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #70
OTTERTOK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR & Futaba

Sounds good cause the A80-10 is whats going in mine once I get my garage built.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in